My Beautiful Mac + Windoze Mobile = ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BiikeMike, Dec 5, 2006.

1. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

So, I have a Palm treo 650, but i'm getting a new job which I may need to get an unlimited data plan. The treo 650 is not high speed EvDO capable, so i'm going to have to upgrade. I've been planning on getting a Treo 700p, but after some research, some other phones have more features for cheaper. Only problem is....... they run Windows Mobile.

Can I sync a calendar and my contacts with a Windows mobile phone through OSX?

2. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

Yes, check out The Missing Sync. It works with Palm OS also.

3. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

4. Stadsport macrumors regular

Just take note that you can't install apps on your Windows Mobile device using your mac, because they're exe installers. But Parallels has USB pass-through so that should be gravy, and I'm sure it won't be long before Crossover supports ActiveSync.

5. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

OK, call me stoooooopid, but...... I'm not quite sure what USB pass-throughs are, or crossover.

Care to enlighten?

6. charkshark macrumors member

charkshark

FYI: Crossover is a program that uses WINE technologies to run windows programs in the Mac OS, without a seperate OS running in something like Parallels or Boot Camp. USB Passthrough is just a fancy term for: for example in Parallels, if you plug in a USB device on your Mac, Windows (In Parallels) will recognize it.

7. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Windows Mobile. As an OS it completely and totally blows the crap out of Palm OS that is pretty much the DOS of the PDA world these days.

[​IMG]

8. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Don't bet on it. Activestink is twitchy as **** even on windows. AS 4 on XO? Not a chance.

9. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I have a Windows Mobile 5 phone - an Orange SPV M600. And it's great. Mark/space's Missing Sync works well.

Actually that's not quite true. For WM5 devices, most installers are *.cab files. The easiest way to install them, I find, is to just bluetooth them over to the phone.

Mark/space are apparently working on a way to install the *.exe versions.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I have an Axim x51v... I like Windows Mobile 5 also.

A couple of little things...

1) For the touchscreen devices, look at Magic Button. It rocks.

2) WM5 installations come in a mix of .cab and .exe files. The difference is that the .exe is a wrapper installer that runs on a (desktop) Windows computer and installs itself (as a sort of placeholder) onto that computer, and then installs from there onto the WM5 device. .Cab files get installed normally through ActiveSync but the WM5 device can fully manage the CAB file by itself.

For .CAB files, as stated before, it works fine to transfer them by bluetooth or another wireless means.

For .exe files, look at FileJuicer. It does not work 100% of the time. But often, what happens is that the .exe file structure contains a fully valid CAB that can be extracted. FileJuicer wrings the .CAB out of the EXE, and then you can transfer it over just as you would for a .CAB you downloaded.

However, I have had to use ActiveSync on occasion... I don't think there's a way for instance to install firmware updates without using ActiveSync.

3) Here's more information on using Parallels....

I don't have an Intel Mac (I ended up putting ActiveSync on one work computer and leaving my cradle there so I could charge my Axim at work). But if I did I'd probably say that, if you can get access to an inexpensive copy of Windows, that's the easiest route.