My Brother-in-law just returned from London, and this is what he said...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Stelliform, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I would LOVE to visit England someday. I think I may want to live there when I retire (if it's not in the EU by then :rolleyes:). It's number one on the list of places I want to live.

2. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Re: My Brother-in-law just returned from London, and this is what he said...

I've gone to bars in Montreal, I have never met a French Canadian bartender, now I know where they went :)

I spent about a day and a half in London ... very cool. I hungout on the Thames. The Tower of London, most enlightening !
    I want to return.

3. candan9019 macrumors regular

I wish I could go to London. I think one of the best things you can do with your life is visit different places. It really opens your view on the world. Too bad more people don't travel. No offence but I lived in Lake Charles for 7 years and had a hard time explaining Canada to my friends. They just never went anywhere.

4. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

London is my favorite (favourite?) city in the world.

5. iGav macrumors G3

London is a cool place to live... mainly because there is so much going on all of the time.

I'm surprised he found it very clean though... it's one of my pet peeves of London that the centre really isn't that clean, esepcially Oxford St which is a nightmare, and they never seem to clean it up, it's also way too busy making it not pleasurable to shop on. I found NYC to be spotless in comparison, I was very impressed with how clean it is!

It's also huge in area. You have the centre and the you have all of the Borroughs that have their own centres as well.... using the tube you really don't get the true sense of scale of London, it really is a huge city.

Things I like...

Has an unrivalled social scene and lots and lots of bars and clubs. One thing I noticed when I as in NYC is that I realised exactly how much of an influence drinking has on our social lives, there are pubs everywhere.... and in this respect I think London nails any other city purely in volume of pubs and clubs alone.

Very cultural... we are truly greedy when it comes to museums and galleries.... we have far more than our fair share... :D alot of them are free now as well.

London Eye, I've been on it 3 times, and there is no better way to get a birds eye view of London than this.... it serves a similar purpose to the Empire State, in that it allows you get your bearings and the ley of the city. London doesn't really have any tall buidings with observation decks, so this is a good way of seeing it.

Docklands Light Railway, mental, robotic-driverless, 80's tech trains that allow you to get a overground view of East London... (reminds me of Brooklyn does East London) and then it takes you to Westworld... errr... I mean Canary Wharf and the Isle Of Dogs... which are totally immaculate and eerily clean, home to Londons tallest buildings as well.

Get off at Mudchute and use the walkway to walk under the Thames to Greenwich Village for smalltown/village experience. If you go to the top of the big hill in Greenwich Park, you get a good idea of the urban sprawl of East London as well.

Get a River Ferry back, I'd suggest going the whole hog from Greenwich to Houses Of Parliment... this journey gives you a fantastic display of Londons riverside architecture, from the warehouses of East London, through Tower Bridge etc etc....

OXO Tower, best views (esepcially at night) of London from any bar in the city. It's not cheap... but the best never is! Also home to lots of design and arts companies.

Frevds, on Shaftesbury Avenue, real hidden gem this, it's under a light shop, you have to walk down wrought iron stairs, it's very hidden, imagine a stereo-typical jazz bar scenario. All arty and cool, frequented by really mellow and cool people... always seems on the right side of too busy.... Amazing cocktails list... again not cheap, but the service is second to none and one of the only bars in London where I tip for the service.

Noho... north of Soho on Oxford Street... much quieter than it's southern sibling... merges onto Little Italy for the citys best Iltalian restaurants, also home to many small galleries. Always seem to be quiet... unlike

Soho which towards the end of the week and on Saturday nights is probably the most densely packed area in London.... incredible amount of bars and clubs, also home to a huge sex shop industry which personally isn't as seedy as you'd think, because it's smack in the middle of the bars, and it's pretty much 50/50 male and female so it doesn't feel dodgy at all.

Well there's loads more I could wax rhapsodic about.... but, as always...

What I don't like...

Clean, it really isn't that clean.... esepcially around Oxford St/Soho... but that's purely because of the sheer volume of traffic both people and transport.

It's also quite a cold city. If you don't know anyone, and are quite reserved you could find it very cold... people generally aren't hugely chatty or happy...

However, if you're a tourist in a local bar, and can just chat away to someone, there's always someone like me, who'll just talk away with you.

The Underground. Avoid between the hours of 5 to 7 every wokday, especially from Oxford Circus... (makes your Grid Iron seem like a walk through a very empty park) you really would be surprised at the amount of people that have no idea what anti-perspirant is. Too busy, too hot and sometimes feels like the trains is going to come off the tracks. Infact the central line did a few months ago!!!....

Expensive.... it ain't the cheapest of cities to enjoy yourself in, plain and simple.

Either way, it's still an incredible city... and personally I love living here!! :D

6. phaeton macrumors newbie

disappointment ahead...

great britain has been in the eu for quite some time now...

7. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Well I live in London and hate it, I much prefer San Fransico where my Uncle works. When I get enough money together I will proably move out of London. London is meant to be the most expensive city in the world where a property the size of a shed can be got for £100,000 ($160,000).

Although having said that, it does have its good parts.

8. iGav macrumors G3

San-Francisco is a great city as well... I'd certainly live there.... or Seattle... I like Seattle, has that euro ambience about it, and the weather is cool as well... :D

I'd love to live in Tomales Bay, Northern California... they have these cool pier/house type things that jut out into Tomales Bay... very cool... lot's of mountain bike opportunities too.... :D

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

"Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life"

Samuel Pepys

:D

I've always wanted to be a visitor in London, it must be a great place to visit, but I live here and I rarely go anywhere.

Been on the Eye, very cool, go to Greenwich market occasionally, Camden to, and try to get to a museum/gallery a couple of times a year.

I generally hang out around Leicester Square (The Empire cinema is one of the best in Europe) and Covent garden if I'm in town, other than that I tend to travel under it.

One day I'll go be a tourist, y'know, opening giant maps on Oxford street and getting in the way, standing on the left on the escalators, walking slowly.;) That sort of thing.

London is a great city, but it's like any place you live, you really don't appreciate it.

10. mmmbop macrumors regular

I see what you mean. But since I've been working down at Canary Wharf I've grown to miss 'real' London, and for me that means rubbish stacked up by the roadside and stains on the streets that have been there for years, decades, centuries! Being a Londoner, you kinda grow up with it. It sort of blends in with the surroundings. Well, kinda...

The Docklands is too new and shiny for me and feels cut off from the rest of London. It's all glass, steel and shoulder pads.

I flew back from Philadelphia a few weks ago and sat next to a girl from Las Vegas. She had been to London before but was going back to see a few friends. It was really interesting to see how a visitor views London and what places to go and see and do. It was also a lot of fun to get her to pronounce unusual tube station names, like Ruislip, Southwark and the old perrenial, Leicester Square (the old joke being Americans say Lie-cess-ter).

One good thing about living in London is that when people come and visit you, you get to show them the sights which you wouldn't normally do yourself. This year I finally got round to going on the London Eye.

One thing London lacks and would be really cool to have is, of course, our very own Apple Store!

11. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

A quick bit of advice to any would be visitors. Don't get the underground (subway) from Leicester (pronounced 'Lester') Square to Covent Garden. They're really close and much quicker to walk on the surface. I see tourists doing this trip all the time :rolleyes:

London has it's nice points and it's crappy bits. Camden is the most overrated ****hole on the planet. IMO. Personally I like getting up early on a Saturday and getting a train in to shop just as everything opens. I can do Oxford street and TCR before the crowds get going and get back home for a beer before 2pm :D

I second that.

Most of the stores in the UK suck for Apples. I was in a PCWorld at the weekend that was trying to sell a Dual 1.25 PM G4 for £2400 (about £1000 more than it's worth) . The London resellers like microanvika and John Lewis do a better job but a REAL applestore would be so cool. I could take people there and go 'Look, this is what you could have....'
    ;)

12. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I've never been to London, but I found New York City to be very dirty. I guess I'm just used to my small town of 120k or so people... I'm not sure if I'd freak out seeing london, but I think it'd be nice to visit.

13. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I too noticed the lack of Macs in the UK when I did my trip of Scotland. What I did on trips is take lots of pics of the places and people I meet and then go to a Kinko's or Mac store and ask if I can login to my .Mac account (now a dead issue because I don't have the account anymore) When I stopped in Inverness my flash card was full and I wanted to upload my pics but no-one knew where any mac dealer was :( . I was kind of disapointed, but ended up buying a 256MB card from a camera shop that was kind enough to charge up the battery in my camera and now can store 400 pics before filling it up. I didn't have that kind of problem in Japan though, just go to a Kinko's and they always had Macs... Scotland was amazing too I filled up my old card and 75% of my new one that I purchased there!

Raid

14. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

15. afonso macrumors member

hey guys :)

so yeah ive been living in london for 5 years now, which is kind of a lot... because i work in soho as well at a large post production house i got to know this place pretty well :)

and a friend of mine sorted it out for me...

he told me what he felt about london was that london was like a prostitute with tuberculosis (no offense): beautiful and pretty from the other side of the road, but as u walk towards it u start noticing she keeps coughing and spitting blood on the floor :)

haha i love this description :) if u live here u'll understand why this is so realistic haha :)

16. iGav macrumors G3

heh-heh, I think what it could be also, is that when you live somewhere, you get used to it, and begin to notice things more. When visiting, unless the place is really filthy, you're too busy doing stuff to notice the details... ;o) kindo of like what I thought of NYC... amazingly clean in comparison....

London has some really clean area's... the City isn't that bad... and Canary Wharf is cleaner than most Hospital Surgical Wards.... :eek: :p :p

But around Oxford Street and Soho, it's the sheer volume of businesses and people that contribute to it's less then clean appearance.... the litter bins are always full to the point of over filling, and busniesses stack all their rubbish on the streets.

As for buying Macs here... well that is the least of your worries in London to be honest... however, outside of London it's a very different story.

Apple really need one in London, and they could quite easily make it their flagship store.... build it on either Oxford St or Regent St (maybe Soho at a push) purely for the volume of people.... and have a huge f**k-off glowing Apple logo on the front, to announce it's presence.

Then they need one in Brum and Manchester... after that maybe include Leeds and Bristol and maybe Edinburgh too!

17. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: My Brother-in-law just returned from London, and this is what he said...

If it weren't for this, it would be a very believable story. Fact is, virtually every pub in London is staffed by South Africans or Ozzies! ;)

Afonso> Nice description. Fits rather well, considering how down-trodden and dirty things can be, particularly on the underground...

18. iGav macrumors G3

2 questions afonso... :D

which post house??

and are you coming on saturday?? :D

19. mim macrumors 6502

Geeze, I always though it was the other way around! But maybe I'm just home sick :(

Drifts of rubbish piling in the streets, scraping black gunge off your skin after being in the tube....but then you find somewhere utterly amazing, like a room in the V&A that you never realised existed before. Or discover Gorden's Wine bar in Embankment. Or see the city in the golden winter light on the one day it's sunny.

One of my best London memories is getting off the train at Kings Cross after spending a harrowing week in the country. It was about closing time (that's when the pubs close - 11:00pm for you non-English - it tends to be a pretty loud and busy time of the day for some reason ;) ). These three very drunk guys were laughing and stumbling along the road when one of them projectile vomited across Euston Road, all over the traffic. They stopped for about 5 seconds then all bust out laughing and kept stumbling down the road.

Made me feel all warm and good inside - home again!

20. afonso macrumors member

iGav,

1. framestore|cfc
    2. saturday? u mean the first saturday of october?

21. iGav macrumors G3

1. wicked/cool... never had anything to do with those though.. Mill and Motion Picture Co. have though!!

2. This Saturday.... 2pm at.... heh-heh... here we go... the bar with no name on Endell Street WC2/Covent Garden.... there's a thread inthe Comm'y section... be good to see you there.... ;)

I do post stuff too... but freelance... :D

22. afonso macrumors member

iGav,

till when r u guys staying there? cause i'm working this saturday till 6 or something...

23. iGav macrumors G3

I have know idea... will see how it goes... ;) :p :p

You can always email me, and we can sort out conatct details so we can meet up when you're finished if you want... no pressure and no commitment obviously... if you're up for it though.... ;) :D

G

igav@gmx.co.uk

24. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I went to London once on a high school theatre trip--very structured tourist-type stuff. We stayed in a hotel near the Tottenham Court Road station and didn't really deal much with any Londoners outside of our tour guide.

One of my most vivid memories of London was of crossing an intersection in front of cars stopped at a red light, and the last one I walked in front of gunned its engine and lurched forward about a foot, making me leap for the sidewalk in panic.

"Scared you, did I?" said the driver in the most bright and cheery manner as I glared at him with my heart pounding in my chest. He laughed merrily and drove away as the light changed.

Weird city, I thought to myself, and continued on my way.