My brother's Powerbook was stolen.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by benguild, Nov 11, 2005.

1. benguild macrumors 6502a

Someone crawled in the window of his apartment and stole a bunch of stuff, including his 15-inch AlBook. I called Apple but they don't seem to have anything to link the serial number to being stolen, is there anything he can do?

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Call the police. Tell them that the PB was stolen. Does he have serial number written down somewhere? Give it to the police, too. I'd also change the passwords to all my email accounts immediately, too. ESPECIALLY if he did any online banking of any sort.

Check some pawn shops in the area to keep an eye out for it.

Also, it could be on the Renters insurance. Ask the landlord.

3. Melkor macrumors 6502

I would be shocked if it wasn't covered by the buildings insurance. Was the window left open of was it broken?

4. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure, I think it was just unlocked. It's not a bad part of town, so I'm sure stuff like this doesn't happen very often.

5. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, he just called me and said he got all his stuff back. Turns out a friend borrowed it all without asking... HAH. Well, problem solved.

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

If my friend did that
    I would KILL THEM.

NOT a cool thing to do!

7. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

:eek:

Great news it wasn't stolen, bad news that he has a friend that decides to randomly 'borrow' expensive equipment from his apartment without asking.

He might want to consider that whole 'password' changing thing after all...perhaps wipe the entire box.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

8. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Kill his friend....

9. wako macrumors 65816

yep... i would kill my friend if they did that

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

His friend crawled into his apartment through the window ...?

11. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

that is an extremely strange story, but im glad that your brother's PB is back to him safely..:)

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

in this country it wouldnt be covered by "the buildings insurance" as the building owner insures his building but the individual tenants are expected to insure their own property against lose

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

please can we keep the stories of stolen or thought to be stolen PB not on the forum. I dropped off my pb for repairs and i have a fear that i will get a call saying they never received my pb and they are not going to replace it....
    edit windoze really do stink. I miss my expose i keep on going into my hot corners to activate it and nothing happens. Also the computer froze on twice...ahhhh i want this POS dead....

14. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

No kidding...no one touches my gear without asking :cool: :eek:

15. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

I wouldint kill my friend if they did that,

I wouldint be able to because my heard would have stopped the moment I fount out it was stolen or "borrowed"

16. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

your brother should get a lock for his laptop. They are definitely worth it... just make sure he doesn't attach it to a desk or table leg. I know someone who did that. I'm sure the theives couldn't stop laughing! At the office, we have ours attached to a radiator.

YOJ

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Time to get new friends. Suggestions to kill your friend isn't a viable option unless you want to go to federal prison to waste your youth away and be the misses to a lot of guys. Oh, you meant it as just a cliche??!

18. p0intblank macrumors 68030

If my friend did something like that... I would seriously never talk to him again. What an ******. :rolleyes:

19. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

I'm glad my friends aren't jerks, and that they all have their own computers, and that my baby goes everywhere with me. I would be so pissed off.

I'm always kinda worried that someone will come through my window and steal my stuff. I've actually gotten locked out and had to go through the window myself, it was much easier than I thought it would be. From then on I've kept my windows locked at night.