My Browser Pauses....Advice Appreciated

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrboatbuilder, Aug 31, 2003.

1. mrboatbuilder macrumors newbie

Aug 31, 2003
    Mapleton, Oregon

I was wondering if someone would be able to help me with a problem I seem to have with my browser.

I use IE 5.1 because that is what is on the machine, and when I looked at Netscape it said I needed OSX to download. I am still using 8.1. What I have is an iMac PowerPC G3 400

My problem is that when a web page is loading it pauses for what seems like forever, then it starts up again. Sometimes it takes as long as 3 minutes to load for instance eBay's
    home page. It also does the pause thing when I hit the "back" button. The small black and white turning circle on the page just stops, and it sits there.

I tried increasing the disk cache, and that help for a while, but it seems as though tonight it is back to it's old tricks again. I thought if I emptied the disck cache it would work
    better again, but I cannot find anything in the help files about how to do that.

Would another browser be a better choice. I really would rather have something other than a MS product on my Mac.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    iMac G3 400 MHz running OS 8.1 ???

Are you sure you're not using OS 9.1 ?
    Oh well, using IE 5.1 it could be a good idea to delete its cache, like you tried.
    The IE cache is located here: System Folder:preferences:MS Internet Cache:IE Cahce.waf
    (sometimes it's a good idea to let Sherlock find "cache" on your HD... :) )
    Running Mac OS 9.x I recommend usng both Internet Explorer 5.1.6 and Netscape 7.0.2
    Usually if a site doesn't work well on one browser, the other should work fine.

Good luck.

BTW, increasing the memory size of the application can do wonders aswell. Try setting IE to something like 20 MB.
  3. mrboatbuilder thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 31, 2003
    Mapleton, Oregon

Thanks for the reply.

I did goof on the OS Version. It is 9.1.

I am going to try your suggestions.

I thought that on the Netscape site it said I needed OSX for version 7.

I will go look again, and then download it. Again, my priority is my iMac, and I would prefer not to use MS stuff if I can get away with it.

If I can get my browser working better I AM going to use the "Drag and Drop" for my Windows machine suggested at the end of your text.

Thanks again.

Al Gordy
    Mapleton, Oregon
  4. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I suggest using Mozilla. I believe there is a version of Mozilla 1.3.1 floating around the net for OS9. Do a google search for it. Other than that, I would just say to use OSX. There are a TON of browsers for it.
  5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Netscape 7.0.2 is the last "classic" version.
    From Netscape version 7.1 onwards, it's for Mac OS X.

Using Mozilla could be a good idea too.
    Seacrh in