Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
ive been downloading stuff everyday and all of the sudden when i try to download something it says transfering data from whatever website and then nothing happens. it says transfering data but it never loads and the download never happens. i can go to any website i want with no problems. i have a brand new mac book pro. does anyone know whats wrong?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Are you on your network or someone else's?

Does the download just never show up in the Download window, or does it just show up briefly? Does it give an error message in the Download window?

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
im on my network. when i use firefox it just keeps on acting like its loading and nothing happens. but when i use safari i download something it looks like it went through but when you look at the download window nothing shows up.

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
it just let me download something from megaupload but when i tried to download torrent files from other websites it didn't let me.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
does renaming(delete if u are ok with loss of bookmarks and passwords) your firefox profile help?

the profile is at
~/library/application support/firefox

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
theres nothing that says firefox under application support.

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
What happens if you open terminal and type the url of something you want to download?

Try:

curl <url>

and let's see if that works.

If nothing appears on your terminal window, type (case sensitive):

curl -I <url>

that will fetch just the header. If there is any issue, it might show up there.

By the way, you are not using a proxy server or anything of the sorts, right?

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
im not an expert at computers. i dont know what the terminal is. could you explain what to do in more detail please. thanks

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
I'm sorry for the unfriendly post :)

Go to Applications -> Utilities, and find a program called "Terminal".
It will open a window which only accepts text commands as input.

Let's try to download a random file from versiontracker through there and see what happens.

Type (copy and paste):

curl http://nukethemfromorbit.com/applications/packages/TabStop_v1.0.zip >tabstop.zip

after a few seconds, a file named tabstop.zip should appear in your home folder.

If that is the case, then its a problem with your browsers and not with your connection.

If the file doesn't appear on your home folder (or it is corrupted and you can't unzip it), let's see if we can find out what went wrong.

type (again in terminal):

curl -I http://nukethemfromorbit.com/applications/packages/TabStop_v1.0.zip

and report back with the text that appears on your screen. Hopefully we will be able to find out some more info about the issue.

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
did i do it right. this is what it said after i copy and pasted it and hit the return button.

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
To WillJS: I wouldn't know where, maybe just google for shell unix/mac os x commands? Basically, Terminal is another way to interact with the OS, that might give you more flexibility besides what is built in to the Finder. I actually learned my way around like 12 years ago when I had to interact with some Unix terminals out of necessity. I think the best way is to know what exactly you want to do, and then search a way to do it with a shell :) Also, I would advise only using it when there is an actual need; you can get along with just the Finder 99% of the time.

Back on topic:

the first time you only put the address, thats why it gave you an error.
Second time, it downloades a file (you should be able to see it on your home folder), but judging by the size that was a failed attempt.
As can be seen on the third attempt, where it states it didn't find the file.

On closer examination, the path of the URL is only complete on the first attempt; afterwards it just says "applica...bstop_(etc)". Can you try again, repeating the second and third attemps but making sure you put the complete URL in there? I don't know why it did that, though.

EDIT: by the way, you might want to just copy and paste the results from the terminal, instead of showing all of your "legally ripped" collection of movies ;)

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
i dont know if im doing it right.

do i type the curl -I in there or do i start at the http?

i also dont know where the home folder is

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
i dont know if im doing it right.

do i type the curl -I in there or do i start at the http?

i also dont know where the home folder is

Heh, I just realized the "..." came from my post before, as it was a link it just shortened it and that's why it appears like that.

You are doing fine, you should start at curl -I.

you have 2 options: type curl and then copy the link (not directly the text) from my post so that you get the whole path and not the abbreviated one, or find another link to download directly from your browser. I chose that particular file because its only 58k, and thus download will be almost immediate. Just make sure the URL of the link is complete, and not trimmed like the one you are copying and pasting right now.

Code tags will make it easier for you to copy! Sorry for not doing this before

Code:
curl http://nukethemfromorbit.com/applications/packages/TabStop_v1.0.zip >tabstop.zip
curl -I http://nukethemfromorbit.com/applications/packages/TabStop_v1.0.zip

Your home folder is the one called "Nick", in your case. Its also the place where you should go to Library->Application Support to try clevin's approach.

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
this is all too complicated for me to understand. i guess im going to have to bring my computer to the mac store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.