my BT mighty mouse review!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by QCassidy352, Feb 5, 2007.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

based on about 4 whole hours of ownership. ;)

Got a new BT mighty mouse today after being very disappointed with the Radtech BT 600 that I got for Christmas to replace my several-year-old microsoft BT mouse. I know the mighty mouse takes a lot of crap, but my initial impressions are that it is excellent. Here's why (so far) it's my favorite BT mouse yet:
    - It tracks very very well, probably because it's a laser mouse. It's highly accurate compared to anything else I have used.
    - It doesn't go in to a low-power sleep mode after a few minutes of disuse. Both of my previous BT mice did that and it drove me nuts. If I want to save power, I'll turn the mouse off! If not, please don't break the connection. :rolleyes:
    - Because of the afforementioned non-hibernation, I can once again set "allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer." With the other mice, if I did that, they would wake up the computer when they lost the connection, and what's worse, they would keep waking it up (somehow... don't ask me how) so that it wouldn't stay asleep for more than a few minutes.
    - The scroll ball, which I thought would be too small and awkward, is amazingly easy to use and get used to.
    - The system preferences pane shows the remaining battery life!
    - And by far most importantly of all, it doesn't randomly lose the connection (while in use, not after several minutes of disuse). Dying because of that in Warcraft III got really old.

The only negative things I'll say about it are these:
    - One fewer button than the other two BT mice I've owned. That means no dashboard hot-button, which is too bad, but not the end of the world since I've got F12 and the dock icon.
    - The "4th button," pressed by compressing the sides of the MM, is a bit harder to activate than I'd like. I guess they don't want people to squeeze too hard and press by accident, but this takes a bit too much work for my taste.

All in all, I'm VERY happy with it so far. Maybe I'll run in to some of the problems others have mentioned down the road, but for now, I'm loving this purchase. :)

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

3. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

In my opinion, yes. Sure, you can get a BT mouse like the logitech V270 for more like $30, and that's a big difference. And if another, cheaper mouse did all the things the MM does that I listed above (no lost connection, no hibernation, show remaining battery life, etc.) then I might go for that. However, I've yet to find another mouse that works as well in every regard as the MM does. I'd rather pay a little more and be totally satisfied, rather than pay less but have fewer buttons and pesky little issues with the mouse.

4. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Just set the scroll ball as dashboard. It has a button as well as scrolling function. :)

5. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I think it's set to open Dashboard by default.

6. furious macrumors 65816

furious

7. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have the scrollball set as F9 and the side buttons set as F11. On my old mouse I had those, as well as the 5th button set to F12.