My camera takes lousy pic's, anything I can do?

Discussion in 'Community' started by njmac, Jun 15, 2005.

1. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I have no idea how to use manual settings - so I have a point and shoot camera. Sony Cyber Shot W1. I have looked in the manual and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Here's my question: when I take a picture of my kids outside, they always look too bright or have a haze around them. Edit: now thinking about it I should have named this thread: I take lousy picures with my camera(only outdoors) what can I do?
    Here's an example:

2. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

here is the camera info (which means nothing to me, I have no idea what it means)

3. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I see your camera is using 'Pattern' metering which should give you optimal results, but in your case 1/125 shutter speed might be letting too much light in. 1/250 (of a second) might be better in some situations. You might want to try 'Spot' metering if you feel like delving into the manual settings a bit. This could fix the problem with your subject becoming over exposed. I always take my outside pictures at ISO 50 as well - unless it's dark. but even then I would probably keep it at ISO 50 and just decrease my shutter speed to let more light in. I don't like the 'noise' that higher ISO settings cause :eek:

4. efoto macrumors 68030

If it is a constant problem where the entire frame is a little blown out then you could step the aperature as well. I saw f/2.8, perhaps there is a 3.5 or something that would help out. It would more than likely be in manual settings, but might be worth a shot.

5. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

Thanks for the help, I'm going outside now to play with the settings a little. I was hoping to avoid that by buying a p&s camera but I guess learning a new skill is never a bad thing. I hope it's not the start of an expensive habit... ;)