Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
In the old days I could rely on at least 30 minutes to RIP a CD. I'm ripping my CD collection and each one is taking about 4 minutes on my emac. Which means, I get up put a new CD in let it rip and get back to work. However by the time I've re oriented my self and settled down into my chair the little chime goes off and I have to get up again.

Bring back the old days I say when there was time to smell the roses.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
dogbone said:
In the old days I could rely on at least 30 minutes to RIP a CD. I'm ripping my CD collection and each one is taking about 4 minutes on my emac. ... However by the time I've re oriented my self and settled down into my chair the little chime goes off and I have to get up again.

That is one of the more refreshing complaints I've read. More often than not it will be, "Why do I have to wait five seconds for certain web pages to open?"

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
dogbone said:
In the old days I could rely on at least 30 minutes to RIP a CD. I'm ripping my CD collection and each one is taking about 4 minutes on my emac. Which means, I get up put a new CD in let it rip and get back to work. However by the time I've re oriented my self and settled down into my chair the little chime goes off and I have to get up again.

Why not bring back the old machine then? :D You are one of the rare species.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
If its 4 minutes on your eMac thing of the poor sod's with dual 2.7ghz G5's Oh i pity them,

Shadow

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
NASCAR instituted restrictor plates, so why not Apple?
It's for our own good.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
I've found this problem as well: it takes long enough to get bored with waiting, but not long enough to do anything productive. More often than not, I use the time to make a high-resolution scan of the album artwork.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
dogbone said:

If you're sitting at the eMac, why don't you bring a pile of CDs over to where you're sitting?

And if not, why don't you move the eMac temporarily until you've finished with your CD collection?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
What really sucks is having an external DVD as well, so as soon as you're done feeding one for auto-import, the other one opens it mouth like a little bird waiting to be fed.

I agree, it's very annoying. My IIci's old 1X Apple CD player, purchased for a mere $600, never had that problem. Of course, with a 213MB HD, I couldn't rip much off it anyway.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Idea!

Try obscuring the shiny part of the CD a little bit, either by scratching it with a key, or by covering it with peanut butter. That will substantially slow down the ripping speed. Don't worry about applying too much peanut butter either -- Apple's inspired slot-load design ensures that the excess will scrape off as the disk is pulled inside the computer. If you'd like, you can have a piece of warm toast waiting under the slot to collect the excess peanut butter as it falls away. You may then spread it evenly using your mouse. (I have tested this with my iBook G4 and an N'Sync CD and it really does work!) Mmmm.... makes me hungry just thinking about it....

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
eRondeau said:
Try obscuring the shiny part of the CD a little bit, either by scratching it with a key, or by covering it with peanut butter. That will substantially slow down the ripping speed. Don't worry about applying too much peanut butter either....

:D I do this all the time with my PowerBook—the nice part of that arrangement is that the laptop can also toast your bread!

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
Oh no! My internet download speed is so damn fast that I don't even have anymore waiting time to spend on something productive! Oh no!

The amount of time I have to do something productive is even less now that I can't wait for something to finish!

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Turn on error checking and reduce the speeds - not only will it be slower, but if you rip to lossless, the quality will be better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.