My college offers Napster for free. Any way to play songs on Mac OSX?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by johnbro23, Oct 6, 2006.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I occationally have to boot up into Windows, so I have messed around a little bit with Napster. There is no Mac version, so at this point I'm stuck only listening to the songs on Windows. Any ideas? I can download the files to my desktop from the Windows partition that shows up on my desktop, but when I try to play them, it doesn't work.

2. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Its Windows Media Player 10 DRM, so no playing it unless you have Windows. This DRM won't work in anything else. You could of course play them through Parallels. Just leave it running in the background.

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

It's not free. They're paying for it. And therefore you're paying for it in your tuition, itemized or not. I would complain that you shouldn't have to pay for a service you can't use. This is Napster's way of doing an end-around on iTunes. Unfortunately Mac users get screwed.

4. mdickson macrumors regular

Can you not burn to an Audio CD and then rip it in iTunes?

5. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

That's correct; you're subsidizing the downloads of other students this way.

6. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

I see that you're from Pittsburgh - do you go to Penn State? If so, I go there too, and I know what you're talking about. No, there's really nothing you can do, and the issue has been brought up on deaf ears. Mac users are paying through their tuition for a service they can't use.

7. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

You would think the non-Mac people would care too... considering most people have iPods and not whatever the hell runs with the Napster program. Even parents, you would think, who might be paying the tuition, would be annoyed with the idea of pre-paying for something that is solely for entertainment and has nothing to do with their child's education.

8. Jeonat macrumors regular

I quite like the Napster model of doing things, even though I'm a Mac user, I maintain a subscription on my Windows laptop. Being able to listen to any song I want, on demand, does it for me. Also good for background music. Not being able to use it on the Mac and listen to it on my iPod is but a minor inconvenience that I'm not particuarly bothered about, I like the flexibility of the service. I just wish Apple would launch something similar...

9. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, Napster makes you "buy" the songs in order to put them on a CD. This would be the same as buying a song from iTunes.