My College PC Laptop Plans MAY Have Just Changed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobber205, Apr 5, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Ok.

This is cool. With the advent of MacBooks and Boot Camp, I now have the option of ordering a MacBook and using Boot Camp to have my PC too.

How great is that? The only unfortunate detail is the cost, 2000 dollars.

That stinks. I could get some taken off due to my education discount, but it probably won't be too much.

Would this be worth it?

What should I do now?:D

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think this'll help a lot of students who are in law schools that use that software requiring Windows... the software for doing tests on one's own computer, and so on.

But hmmm, yes, a tough choice. Before, had you considered a cheaper Apple laptop, like a 12" PB or an iBook? Otherwise, why is the price a concern now? Not that it isn't expensive...but then, it's Apple... :( Tough choice.

3. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Oh trust me. If I could have used a cheaper apple laptop, that's what I would be doing. But I am going for a major in software engineering... and I need Windows XP to successfully complete my classes.

Guess I should have included this information in the initial post.... ;)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

A MBP *is* a big investment... could also do something like a Windows notebook + a used iMac or iBook for that price....

But if you want one super-nice machine that does everything, and does it very rapidly, I think you'll love the MBP... But I have mixed feelings, too. I'm not sure I'm ready to buy a $2k notebook and tote it around....

5. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Yeah. No kidding.

I also have the option of getting a Windows PC with the specs below for 900.

15” WIDE XGA/ MOBILE SEMPRON 3300 / 512MB / 80GB CDRW-DVD / 802.11b/g / 10/100 LAN / MODEM/ XPPRO

Or one a Toshiba at wal-mart with similar specs for 1000.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would not hesitate to purchase a MacBook Pro if you need a new laptop. Its super-fast, lightweight, gets good battery life, runs Mac OS, and now with Boot Camp- Windows XP. If I was in your shoes bobber205, I would go with a MBP. :)

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

You could, but the MacBook Pro would run circles around it. Plus, you would still be without Mac OS X.

And, if you bought the above PeeCee + a used Apple laptop, you are going to be spending about the same price as a MacBook Pro (when you take the education discount in to consideration).

8. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Oh I wouldn't get two laptops. That would be major overkill.

I am, right now, using a mac mini.

So I'm ok on mac computers.

After graduation... I'll have at least 1100 dollars. At least. Maybe up to 1300.

Maybe I could get one of those mac credit cards and order it then?

9. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

If you were heading off for the Culinary Institute of America, would you shell out for Wüsthof or Henckel chef's knives, or would you be OK with some cheap stainless-steel cutlery from Bargain Warehouse?

If you were enrolling at Juilliard as a pianist, would you want a Steinway concert grand, or would a Wurlitzer do you just fine?

If you were studying automatic transmission repair at a NIASE-certified auto tech school, would you run out and snag a box of TruType wrenches from the "on sale" bin at Metzgers, or would you show up with (how appropriate!) a box of Mac Tools?

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good use of analogies to prove your point ahunter3- go with a MacBook Pro. :)

11. generik macrumors 601

generik

A MBP is actually very price competitive with its PC counterparts.

That Acer laptop might seem $500 cheaper, but the cheap integrated graphics keyboard.. dull LCD display.. plasticky keys... are you willing to spend $1300 on a machine like that?

Conversely would you be willing to shell out the difference for a MBP and get so much more as well?

Ultimately it is really a question that you will have to answer for yourself.

12. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I am kinda in the same situation as you. I started college this past fall and i made the choice to use macs even though i thought i might need a windows machine.

My suggestion is to bight the bullet adn get the MBP.

When 10.5 and the MBP with merom start coming out i am going to sell my two computers and invest in one bad @$$ MBP. With my major being computer science and engineering it will help me quite a bit to have windows on my machine.

13. direzz macrumors 6502

youll still have to pay over 2000 with sales tax.

14. emaja macrumors 68000

Do you need it now? If not, why not wait a bit, see if Intel-based iBook, or MacBooks come out and buy one of those. It will certainly be less than the MBP and better than the Wal-Mart Sempron machine as well.

Buying a computer at Wal-Mart...

...(shudder)...

15. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

The Intel based iBook would be much more appropriate for me.

I just can't wait till I can preorder mine... because once I preorder, I won't even be tempted to buy a PC.

16. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Do you really need a laptop? Or would an iMac suit you better?

By the way, I've used the old XP Home install CDROM that came with my old 1.8GHz Dell (bought in 2002), and it installed (in about 15 minutes) in Parallels's VM and runs perfectly, faster than the Dell was. Since software engineering usually isn't GPU intensive, you should find a VM usable instead of dual booting.

Oh, and I know I'm on shaky legal ground with using my old XP Home CDROM, but the Dell is dead so I haven't installed two copies of it. Still, I should at least buy a new separate license, I guess, if I'm going to continue keeping XP on my iMac. I only did it to test it out and I haven't made up my mind if I should keep it on.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm sure microsoft wouldn't like anything less than a brand new retail version ;), legally you are probably fine, as long as you aren't using the old copy.

EDIT - is it only me who's edit symbol has been replaced by a :p?

18. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

I'm not sure where you are on your education timeline, but if you are just starting your undergrad career, you can probably hold-off on a new computer for a while and use your mini for your basic school work. It is unlikely you will need to run engineering specific software for your classes until your junior, _maybe_ sophomore year. There is a chance you will need it sooner if your school requires you to learn (or relearn) programming first. Even then, your school probably has labs to do such work.

You have plenty of time to investigate what your coursework will require. Weigh your options until you find out exactly what you need. Then, hopefully, you will find what you want will also fulfill your needs. Also, if you can wait, save up to get a really nice machine that will do it all for you. I'd go with a MBP but by then you might be able to get a Macbook with extra money to accessorize, upgrade (more ram), or purchase extra software.

19. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Would the MacBook have the built iSight camera?

I would think so... but maybe Apple won't include it to encourage people to buy a MBP.

I don't know what to do. I REALLY want to have the laptop for my 5 day moving trip to Oregon on June 12.

If I don't have quite all the money by then... ;)
    Maybe I could get credit from Apple?