my comp on ebay

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mac15, Jul 14, 2002.

1. mozez macrumors member

insane

you must be insane, you can get a new imac, faster than that, better condition, NEW!!!! for that price. is that 1000 us dollars, it had a au next to it, i think that's australia right, which makes it like 700 or something, but still, putting pirated software in a computer and selling it doesn't make the value of it go up. unless you haver the real software with real support and real serials, then it's not only worthless, it puts you at risk of being caught by ebay people, this guy in australia was selling a tibook for 5 grand, and he said cause he packed it with software, just like you, but this guy had a list a mile long. he got nailed by adobe. us copyright laws are still in effect there, not china, so if you sell it from china be my guest, but just letting you know, and that price is still alittle high, imacs are only worth 300-400 max, anything after that, buy a new one or get an emac.

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I have to agree with mozez on this one mac15... Unless you are giving the purchaser all the original cd's serial numbers, and books, the price should be closer to the $400 (US) mark.

You can pick up a brand new 500MHz iMac with an Apple warranty and that qualifies for AppleCare for $800 (US). It will be faster, with a little less memory, but most likely a larger hard drive (20GB). For $1000 (US) you can get an even faster system, with a cd-rw drive, large hard drive and almost that much memory (you can crank it to 768MB in a heartbeat, cheaply too).

Unless you sell it to another Aussie, shipping could be a biatch!

It might help if you included the hard drive size, and which version of Cinema 4D you are 'including'... BTW, unless you give all of the documentation, serial numbers, and contact the software companies to inform them that the software is changing owners, the person who buys it will NOT be able to legally update to the newer version without making a fully version purchase.

My advice, either inform the software makers about the transfer of software, or keep it for your next Mac system and drop the price 50%. You'll be lucky to get that much anyway.

3. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

I agree with mozez. You should be careful using software as a reason to buy your comp. If you do not include the original boxes with their original serial number, and uninstall the software on your new comp (or buy new licences), taking money for the software, IS pirating (well, it's pirating even if you do not take extra money for the software...)... Adobe, nor Macromedia, will be too happy 'bout that....

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I sold my G4 tower several months back to a person from work. All I installed was OS9, OS X, the free applications that came with the system, and stuff that I downloaded (also freeware) that I thought she could use. Everything else came from the hard drive of her old system (i.e. she already owned it).

I kept all of my own software, since I was installing it onto my TiBook at the time (was a 500MHz, have since upgraded to the 800MHz :D).

You are just looking for a world of hurt if you sell the software with the computer. I assume that you registered it at some point, which means you are listed in the software companies database as the legit owner of that software. No one else will be able to get reduced prive updates of those packages with your serial numbers unless you notify the software company. Even then, they might refuse to allow the transfer (it's their call, since they are the owners of the software, you are just licensed to use it).

Check on it before you sell it with all that software... otherwise, the system will end up costing the purchaser even more when updates come out, and he/she has to spend 2x the [software update] price to update (if not more).

5. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I would, personally. The software and the mp3's just isn't a good idea from a legal standpoint. eBay's pretty on-the-ball about stuff like that.

7. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

thanks for the heads up eveyone, I will change it soon

8. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

this sucks, someone bidded on it and I can't get rid of it, nor can I change it

is there anything I can do, its urgent

9. Pin-Fisher macrumors member

Curious about why you would want to sell it? Its looks like a nice system.

10. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

I have a new imac, g4 combo drive
    thats why I am selling it and I wan to buy a PC, cause VPC just don't cut it

11. Pin-Fisher macrumors member

Not to take this thread into another direction but what
    are you running on VPC Win98, NT?? What are you
    using it for??

12. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm not sure if this would be the best thing to do, but maybe you could email the winner of the iMac (whoever it will be), saying that the mp3s are illegal, or whatever. Again, not to say from me that this is the best, but it's the best I could think of.

And, absolutely, STAY AWAY FROM SELLING A COMPUTER WITH DOWNLOADED mp3s ON IT!! Maybe your second round will go better.

13. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yes, you can end the auction and give the reason that it is no longer for sale. Then just contact the bidder and let him know.

http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?EndingMyAuction

Or... you're getting the amount you want for it and as long as nobody blows the whistle on you... who cares! :D (I know, that's not something I should be saying, but oh well...)

14. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

I just ended it, I was hainv gsecound thought, I was thinking I can get away with this, hope I did the right thing

15. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

I need the most money I can get so could someone please help

what if I said the apps came preinstalled the machine and thats how I go it?

I need the most amount off money out off this, its urgent

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Problem with saying that, is that those apps' don't come preinstalled on systems. Photoshop, Illustrator and the like. Those apps would only come installed on G4 towers pre-configured from specialty outlets, and you wouldn't be selling such a system for ~$1000.

17. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

what I said I got it throught my dads work and he got all this extra stuff installed on it, for cheap, just for me to learn on and I upgraded to a new computer

18. Pin-Fisher macrumors member

#1. Its not very hard to go to apple.com and read what apps actually came with it.

#2. Lying and saying that the apps came with it is worse then jusy saying they come with it....the "Ill throw in 900 mp3s" gives away a little about your personality / software habits.

#3.....Ugh....I cant think of a #3

19. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

well, I guess I should just sell it normally
    Don't wanna get in trouble

20. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Problem was a person looking at the listing on e-Bay may think the software listed would come legally boxed with the computer, anything else is fraud.

You were saying the computer is worth it for the software alone.

Later after the sale if the buyer complained, the line on MP3s does nothing but prove you intent to commit software piracy and copyright violations.

Remember some people do buy extra software cheap either for the extra license or for cheap upgrades later.

In reality the only option you had was to end the auction (like you did).