my computer keeps trying to connect

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sip, May 9, 2005.

1. Sip macrumors newbie

I have broadband internet at home that works without any password or anything. I put the cable in and it works. Great. Now I installed the software to also make my girlfriends internet work at my computer. It worked fine. But now.... it always tries to connect that one (it also broadband) or my old-dial up connection, after which there is an error. My normal broadband just works fine. It's not lifethreatening but completely irritating. I can't find out how to stop it and it totally reminds of all those irritating things windows has.... Anyone? My OS is OS 10.9.3

Sip

thx in advance

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Just so I understand:

- you are trying to use your computer in two places with two different providers, at your place and your girlfriend's place

- you just plug and play at your house, but to connect at your girlfriend's house, you need some sort of software installed and running

Is this accurate? If so, what is the name of the software that is installed? Can it be disabled through the preferences, or linked to a Network Location? Can you provide any screen grabs or anything? Just trying to get more information so we can help.

3. Sip thread starter macrumors newbie

You are enirely correct...

The software is from my girlfriends provider.. but I've already thrown it in the trash. And even when I choose my own dial-up as the main line, then it tries that one whenever I start up the computer or my mailprogram. During all that my broadband functions fine. I just can't find anywhere in 'connect internet' or in 'network settings' where I can delete these lines...

4. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Really where's that from?;)
    Can't you set up another user account and with your g/fs details and switch between them with FUS?

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

If you go into Network Preference Pane > Show: Network Port Configurations, do you have additional "ports" that are checked that you don't need (modem, any installed by your girlfriend's app)?

6. Sip thread starter macrumors newbie

whoops, no I'm not running some unique OS, it's just 10.3.9 ;)

if I go to system preferences and then network it shows the built-in-ethernet, with a green dot before it, the 'Speedtouch USB' (my gf's modem) with a read dot in front of it and the internal modem with a red dot. I'd like to at least keep the internal modem as a back up for in my house and preferably just both, but I cannot even delete any of them, only configure them (actually I can only configure the internal one because I moved the speedtouch software to the trash)

The only annoying part is that at start up it always wants to connect with one of the two (speedtouch or internal modem) and then gives an error because they don't work (of course)...

Sip

7. Sip thread starter macrumors newbie

Yahoo, thx... :)

Indeed, I went to 'show all configurations' and could click on or off the divers connections. It's fine now :)

ciao and thx for thinking with me...

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

In Network preferences, create a new Location (Location: New Location) and call in Home or something like that to reflect it's what you use when going through your Home broadband connection.

Next, go to Show: Network Port Configurations (under the Location drop down). Make sure that Built-in Ethernet is the only one checked off.

Use this as your location when you're at home. You can do the same thing to create a Girlfriend location and only select the SpeedTouch USB port.

That should prevent the system from attempting to use the other ports.

Edit: glad to see it worked.