My computer may be haunted

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by x86isslow, Sep 9, 2005.

1. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2003
    I think my Powerbook's haunted or gone crazy!

A few days ago, my Airport card stopped working, system profiler says "No hardware detected" now.

Then tonight, I pressed F9, and the whole system locked up, and was unresponsive, even after a few minutes.

I hard rebooted, but after the happy chime, there was nothing :confused:

I hard shut down, and let it sit for about 10 minutes, then tried again. This time I got to the pale blue screen that start up goes to before it gets to the dark blue screen with the white startup window.

I hard shut down again, and waited, then when I tried again, it finally loaded OSX.

So while I still have a functioning computer (I dread whatever comes next :( ) Any ideas on what's going on??

I personally think the logic board might be flaky, since the airport cut out a few days ago, and now this stuff.

Oh, and Spotlight? It randomly decided that it needed to re-index my entire HD...

my computer has to be like haunted or something... help! :(
  2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    Maybe it's a bad OS installation; could you try an archive and reinstall?
    Also, try repairing permissions, that seems to solve everything, haha.
    and if you're anywhere near an apple store, get there toot sweet!

Haunted powerbooks are not fun, unless they're haunted by someone awesome, like Mendelssohn.

My bathroom is haunted, I swear. I was in there after a shower, and SOMETHING threw a shampoo bottle at me. It didn't just fall, it went SIX FEET OVER, AT ME, hitting me on my back. It hurt like a mother and since then, I make sure to re-close the shower curtain after I pop out...
    stupid punk hauntings.
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Hmm... Have you installed RAM recently?

Is there a chance your hard drive is failing? Is it clicking? Is the SMART status verified in Disk Utility?

Have you read about resetting the PRAM and NVRAM? How about resetting the PMU? :)
  4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    You could try to take out the tub, then reinstall it. :p ;)
  5. ajampam macrumors regular

Jul 31, 2005

Uh oh! That does sound creepy....sure it is not someone in the same gene pool tryin to scare you?? :rolleyes: Could try pitching back the bottle in the same direction though....could help...never know....I will definately watch over my shoulder when in there....
  6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005

Heehee... Thanks for makin' me laugh.. the bathroom is creepy and my bedroom shares a common wall with it.. EEP!

Hmm... maybe if I get procare, I could get my favorite genius to check it out.
    I wonder what kind of guff I'll get for that! :)
  7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Sorry, I don't have anything useful to say, but this is the best thread I've seen all week
  8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Whatever you do, backup all of your important files while you still can!

I'd sleep with the lights on from now on!
  9. x86isslow thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2003
    lol, too late.

i couldn't back up anything, and the prize does go to whomever guessed HardDrive

While SMART status did originally come up as good, it now comes up as "Not Supported" and it has an invalid header and an invalid "sibling link" :confused:

I'm going to try DiskWarrior, and see if that gets me anywhere.

While I'm saddened to see my computer go, I'm at least glad that it won't attack me while I'm in the shower ;)

I'll let you guys know how this all turns out, I obviously have spotty net access without a computer to call my own.
  10. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    The system can't be too old though, can it? It's weird (but not unheard of) for a hard drive to fail so quickly. But judging by the SMART status, that seems to be the problem :(
  11. x86isslow thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2003
    I bought this laptop 14 months ago. Applecare expired 2 months ago. The problems started two weeks ago. :( :(

The Airport card is dead, the harddrive might be dead. I shudder to thing what else could be wrong.
  12. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2005
    Queens, NYC
    I've seen one of those expensive 8-pound Dell laptops suffer a hard drive failure within 3 months.

Stuff happens, I guess. Good luck.
  13. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2003
    Sounds like you need to call TAPS. For those of you who don't know what this is, it's the show on the SCI Fi Channel. :D

14. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    Oh Powerbook had the exact same symptoms, and had to get a HD change also. Funny thing is...I also bought it 14 months ago, with Applecare expiring 2 months ago, and my problem started exactly 2 week ago today :eek:

I took it into the Apple Store and had to pay $350 to have it repaired (didn't want to risk doing it myself). I just got it back yesterday.

Funny how just after Applecare expires, all these problems happen, eh? ;)
  15. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    Man, they're like ticking time bombs, ey? :p haha!

/getting apple care 2 weeks before it expires
    //happens to be my birthday!
    ///I'm gonna get some clerks to sing for me
    ////and take a video and post it on MR. :p :p
  16. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    I say its the logic board.

Does blood pour out of all the ports like mine, and then the screen gets all fuzzy and somara climbs out of the well and then jumps out of the screen. She has some trouble getting out on my 12" screen though.

I go to this restaurant that is supposidly haunted.

My friend lives in a haunted house, it is a house from the 1700s. Thats what previous owners and my friend say. The "ghosts" aren't evil. She and her husband were on NBC or something about out. Some of the things that happen are candles blowing out, locked doors opening, rocking chairs moving, cold feelings- even in the middle of summer, and just weird things like that. Also, according to the people in the town (including old people), when the house was uninhabited for years, people would see people's faces in the attic every so often. The "ghosts" are believed to be of the original owners of the house. The man of the house died in the revolutionary war.

Also, I drive past (in my boat) the lighthouse that was on ghost hunters, the Ledge Light House in New London CT. It is one really weird looking light house.
  17. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    My G5 has a ghost - i swear.

With NO apps open it 'rang' as in like a door bell rang... TWICE! :eek: this happened yesterday! I **** myself when I opened 'top' and saw no unusual apps were running - i don't know where it came from.
  18. lopresmb macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    It sounds very similar to the M.O. on an iBook I worked on with a buggy logic board. (it was 6 months expired on applecare) and had to pay $300 one time fee for apple to fix it up.
  19. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Have you even read the whole thread?
  20. x86isslow thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2003
    so disk warrior is amazing :D

i'm back online on this dying laptop, but not for long- see my attachment :eek:

and so i've just finished backing up everything of any importance.

right now i have three options

get this

get an external and always boot off of it

get a mac mini and sell this thing on eBay, and wait for intelPB

so what do you guys think i should do?

Attached Files:

21. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Quite easy: Backup whatever you can of your data, like you've done, and replace the HD. If you're fairly adventurous or technical you can get a good sized 2.5" Laptop HD @5400 or even 7200 and replace it yourself...

I would get this 120 GB HD from Seagate... :D
  22. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2003
    I think the most important part of that thread was

Good to hear the x86isslow is getting his data off the HDD. Whew!