My confused little friend.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by haiggy, Mar 26, 2004.

1. haiggy macrumors 65816

I have been trying to convince my friend that he should get a mac. He was okay with the idea until it came down to price. So, he went out and bought a PC. Well, he has become very dilusional and thinks Apple is stupid, you can't run Linux on a mac, and how there is no advantage to using UNIX because he says it is thousands of wasteless lines of code. He says windows is the best operating system and I want to smack him for it. :p
    I just want you guys to post anything that will help prove my side of the arguement as to why he is so brainwashed. Also list any advantages that Mac OS X has over windows (yes, I know there are SOME disadvantages).
    Thanks - hopefully I'm not that incredibly stupid by posting this thread. lol

2. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

3. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

But...

Why would your friend quote Macs "not running Linux" as a problem, when he thinks Unix is just "thousands of lines of "wasteless" code"? Does he know the two are very similar - though not the same.

In addition - if he thinks Unix is such a load of pooh - which is SURELY why it runs on thousands of servers, distributed computing systems, et al, all around the world - then why would he even consider OS X, at all? Since OS X is built on a FreeBSD core - FreeBSD being the original Berekely Software Distro derived Unix OS.

Anyways - give him some of that info :)

Peace.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You can run Linux on Macs. And Linux is basically like UNIX. And Windows sucks.

( using Windows XP at work right now :( )

5. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

he is right on the price, Macs cost much more than PCs and offer less performance
    but then again OS X is so much nicer than windows I've lost countless hours over trying to deal with viruses things that don't work etc

6. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

at least the "wasted code in unix" doesnt have security flaws.

also, funny how you can't run Linux on a mac. my machine must be a freak of nature as i type this message in SuSE Linux on a Powerbook.

i concur with the sending him a virus recommendation.
    as we say in Indiana, "That'll learn'em"

7. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Just sit him at a dinner gathering. Then walk around the table swinging a baseball bat. Just like Al Capone did in 'The Untouchables'. When he starts giggling about how good Windows is; wind up and crack him on the head as HARD as you possibly can. Repeat this action two more times for desired affect.

8. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

haha thanks guys for your replies.... you guys crack me up :D
    sometimes my friend doesnt make any sense at all... i think he has microsoft pms.... or maybe bill gates is living in his head :eek:

9. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

show him yellow dog: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/ AFAIK these guys are official apple resellers- the only ones who can preinstall linux on a mac and sell it with apple's guarantees intact and stuff.

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Has he seen the Fink project yet?? HUNDREDS of linux packages available to run side by side with OSX apps? How is that wasted code again?

11. Opteron macrumors 6502

I'm not really sure what this thread is trying to prove?

Your friend is obviously happy with his purchace,
    so why not let him enjoy it.

12. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

The simple version: Macs rule. Get over it.

The more complex version: Mac OS X is based on Mach, FreeBSD, OpenStep, the Apple supported mkLinux project (Yes, Linux), and leftover elements of the Rhapsody project. The Darwin kernel is Open Source (hopefully he'll know what that means), and can use Debian Linux packages with little to no modification, through package managers like Fink and dselect. It has an X11 interface that comes with Panther, but there are free versions on the web (XFree86 is one). OS X uses some of the industray standard enterprise security solutions, drawing from the best of the Open Source community to keep itself safe (OpenSSH, Kerberos, and so on). It runs on hardware that is more energy efficient, less noisy, and better designed and assembled than most PCs, and which also tends to hold its value and usefulness much longer (see the many stories about people like me, who had 4 year old laptops running Jaguar well).

Also, it doesn't suck.

13. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

No, Bill Gate$ is just controlling him through a "window(s)" in his head...and his wallet! :D

14. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

15. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Damn straight.

A friend who doesn't listen to you is no real friend at all ... and I bet he eats baby squirrels for breakfast ... and he probably smells of cabbage ... and I bet his parents are cousins ... (etc etc)

Alternatively, teach him exactly how a virus on works and the sheer number he will be getting in the next 3 years compared to those suffered by the Mac in the last 10. That seems to do it for me.

:)

16. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

My future brother in-law is in dire need of this "treatment." Only my philosophy is to avoid the head and concentrate on the body - you want the individual to be full conscious of what is going down. Robert De Niro's character in This Boy's Life comes to mind when he says:

"People like that you gotta hurt em. You gotta inflict pain or they'll never leave you alone..."

Seriously though, my advice is to ignore him. Take pride in what you have and how it improves your computer experience and daily life. Engaging your friend in this type of playground battle will only lead to frustration for the both of you. I've been there. Be a happy Mac owner not a pissed off Mac owner.

17. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Technically, they're not linux packages (or else there would be no need -- you could just download the Debian PPC packages). They're packages for Mac OS X (or Darwin if you like) of software that mostly runs happily on other platforms, too (mostly Unix, but also Windows).

18. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Well, Unix has many, many security flaws. Holes you could drive a truck through! Like any OS, it's susceptible to things like DBO's allowing arbitrary code execution, etc. On top of that, there's things like race condition problems - though pretty hard to exploit IRL. You just gotta learn to deal with the problems, I guess. Anyways, doesn't really matter to most home users, running a one-user system.

peace.

19. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

Life's too short - got over it and move on.
    Why is it so important to you? If he's happy leave him alone.
    However, it is fair to say that when a windows problem croips up "No Whining"

20. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

I would, but he keeps on bringing it up aswell. I may aswell ignore him. :D