Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
This was fun! I especially enjoyed the parts about LEDs on PC cases, BMW cars, and Mac OS 9 vs Windows 98.

AIM IM with fanboysarelame.
5:14 PM
Dan Palka: why do you devote yourself to this anyway
fanboysarelame: because you mac people are irritating in your smug "holier than thou" attitudes. They need to be knocked back down to reality.
Dan Palka: i see...
Dan Palka: that sounds like a worthy life devotion
Dan Palka: maybe someone's just jealous
fanboysarelame: thanks for proving my point about the smugness.
fanboysarelame: not jealous at all, no reason to be.
Dan Palka: but if we're so smug, and smug for (apparently) no reason
Dan Palka: why are you concerned about what we think
Dan Palka: what difference is it to you
Dan Palka: you don't have to talk to us
fanboysarelame: i didnt say there was no reason
Dan Palka: so we do have a reason to be smug then?
Dan Palka: well thank you for admitting that
fanboysarelame: i dont really care what you think, but i am going to make it fair.
Dan Palka: whats not fair
Dan Palka: Apple has a single digit percentage of the market share
fanboysarelame: and that's what makes you think your different?
fanboysarelame: nothing but sheep
Dan Palka: i didnt say anything about being different
Dan Palka: but lets back up to your not fair statement
Dan Palka: what exactly is not fair
fanboysarelame: buying a white computer that costs a lot more, just to be seen and think you're in some kind of club?
fanboysarelame: the only people who even care are other mac users.
Dan Palka: well... i have a lot of beige macs too
fanboysarelame: im sure you do
Dan Palka: no, its not really about that
Dan Palka: PC users like to pretend that is the only reason
Dan Palka: although yes, things that look nice are generally nice to have
fanboysarelame: same concept as these dopes who put neon lights on their cars....attention whores.
Dan Palka: i dont actually own any white macs though
Dan Palka: no, not really
Dan Palka: that would be the PC people who put blue LEDs all over their clear ugly cases
Dan Palka: that expose the inside of their systems where even more lights can be found
fanboysarelame: i own both a pc and an ibook, so i really dont care about os's and all that bull.
Dan Palka: you havent really made a sensible statement yet
fanboysarelame: true, but the LED thing proves you can mod it, as long as you dont overdo it, and the majority do it without being tacky.
fanboysarelame: typical macrumors response
Dan Palka: no, everyone does it and is super tacky
Dan Palka: so you're saying that a sedated, elegant, non-flashy looking mac is tacky
Dan Palka: i dont see how a plain white or plain aluminum, or (now) plain black enclosure is flashy
fanboysarelame: ok, if you say so.
Dan Palka: and an LED covered monstrosity isn't
fanboysarelame: i didnt say that
Dan Palka: yes you did
fanboysarelame: i said it's a very boring computer...wow, a one piece computer that cant be user upgraded...computers for dummies.
Dan Palka: ok
Dan Palka: well, forgetting about the Mac Pro
Dan Palka: if you want a computer you can upgrade, yes you uprobably shouldnt buy a consumer mac
fanboysarelame: i never said it was flashy, i said its white for a reason, and thats to be seen by other nerds.
fanboysarelame: the mac pro is out of 95% of the publics budget.
Dan Palka: yeah and
Dan Palka: so you're saying you're mad that Apple doesn't build the exact machine for the exact price you want?
Dan Palka: nobody is forcing you to buy a Mac
Dan Palka: you are free to buy whatever you want
Dan Palka: There are many other choices from fine competitors like Dell and Gateway that would fit your needs better.
Dan Palka: I guess you're probably mad that BMW doesn't build a 5 series in your price range.
Dan Palka: Or that first class British Airways tickets aren't more affordable.
fanboysarelame: I never said i was mad, i said i didnt care because it's not that hard to custom build a computer
Dan Palka: Well if you don't care, then why do you IM everybody at MR.
Dan Palka: And if you don't care, why did you even throw in that "non user upgradable" comment to begin with?
fanboysarelame: but if you want to pay a lot of extra $$ to have some company underpower one for you, good for oyu.
Dan Palka: I don't know, I think most of Apple's offerings are very powerful.
fanboysarelame: not everyone buys premade computers
Dan Palka: Especially given their size/weight, etc...
fanboysarelame: i have zero interest in bmw, so your analogy does not apply.
Dan Palka: Well, that's a shame.
Dan Palka: BMW's are very nice.
fanboysarelame: i wont be going to britain, again, does not apply.
fanboysarelame: im sure they are, but i need the attention
Dan Palka: You need attention?
fanboysarelame: of course you think apples are, your very biases
fanboysarelame: biased
fanboysarelame: err, you
Dan Palka: Well, of course I am. Apple has never let me down.
Dan Palka: Well, while some BMW buyers may buy BMWs for attention, they really are better cars than most.
fanboysarelame: uh huh, heat problems, warping, bad screens, dont really hear about that on other brands toomuch
fanboysarelame: not according to the last survey i saw.
Dan Palka: Well, of course you're going to see a lot of problems on a forum that is largely meant for Mac help and discussion.
Dan Palka: Nobody posts about how awesome their computer works.
Dan Palka: About how it works exactly as expected.
Dan Palka: That's ridiculous to base your impressions of Mac hardware on what online forums say.
Dan Palka: and blogs... etc
fanboysarelame: oh sure they do, a quick scan of that board will show the people bragging about how great their macs work, then within a few months, it's "i have a problem"
fanboysarelame: i dont read blogs
fanboysarelame: i read forums because thats where the true users are, and base it on my own experiences as well.
Dan Palka: Also, it's fair to give Apple a benefit of the doubt... after all they just switch to an entirely new architechture after 12 years of PowerPC
Dan Palka: No, that's just where nerdy users who use forums are.
fanboysarelame: theyve tested internally for years
Dan Palka: suddenly 30 years of Apple's excellent products are irrelevant because a handful more people than usual have problems with MacBook pros
Dan Palka: that isn't very fair
Dan Palka: yeah they tested OS X running on intel systems
fanboysarelame: excellent? ever use the piece of **** known as OS9?
Dan Palka: i guarantee they haven't been building identical intel versions of powerbooks for years
Dan Palka: Yes... it was much better than Windows 98.
fanboysarelame: ah no it wasnt
fanboysarelame: again, the bias
Dan Palka: Sure it was
Dan Palka: i bet you never even touched oS 9
fanboysarelame: yeah, i never dealt with os9 and that hockey puck mouse on an orange imac
fanboysarelame: and that ****ing hideous blue striped background
fanboysarelame has gone offline.

And with that he suddenly signed off in a cowardly fashion.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
So who is this loser exactly? And why are you friends with her/him?

Well, I would hope he is. And I'm not friends... this person has a colorful history of instant messaging MacRumors members and leaving them nasty messages. The whole convo took only a few minutes so I didn't waste nearly as much time on him as he wastes on MacRumors members as a whole.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i detect a little ignorance through arrogance from fanboysarelame...?

why is he telling you this anyway? its bleedingly obvious he isn't going to make you switch back.

I love the hypocrisy coming from fanboysarelame in the conversation as well. he calls you an attention whore, then talks about how you can modify your peecee with annoying neon lights :rolleyes:

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
A lot of us have gotten IMs from them from time to time.
It's fracking annoying.

Troll needs to get a new hobby.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Glad to see we're giving him the attention he so obviously craves. :rolleyes:

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
LOL what a willy.

People like that are best left with their whining flashing at-home-in-a-science-lab computers, nothing else to do in their life.

Do you think he's got a girlfriend?

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Exactly, he is only doing it to see if he can provoke some reaction. This thread only gives him what he wants. It's better to just ignore him.

I actually like it and find it lightly amusing... especially during a really boring lecture or class or what-have you. I hope he IMs me again when I have nothing to do so I can pick up the conversation.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Look. People have needs -- we all, to a pretty large degree, act out of our needs. We post here out of our needs.

I fail to see how public humiliation and name calling help this person beyond forcing them to further repress the actual reasons for their actions.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I fail to see how public humiliation and name calling help this person beyond forcing them to further repress the actual reasons for their actions.

I think the point is this person doesn't have an actual reason. Why in the world would anybody bring up Mac OS 9 or Hockey Puck mice and use that as an example of why I shouldn't use Macs or be a fan of Apple, even today? What does that stuff have to do with anything??? Let him repress.. he doesn't have any basis for anything.

And I liked OS 9 anyway...

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I'm never going to use a PC again! My Cherry 3 button PS/2 mouse was rubbish! PCs are really bad!

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Never had any direct dialog with this individual. Really would not want to. There is a personality type, which somewhat baffles me. They are people who first form an opinion, then can only see evidence supporting it.

Admittedly, I sometimes fall into this trap, as do most people I know. The difference is the ability to be able to recognize it, and adjust as the situation merits. Many of us also can develop an emotional attachment to our opinions and find it difficult to capitulate even when we realize we should. I think they call this stubbornness.

Regardless of all this, the ability to learn (IMHO) is based around the ability to analyze. How can you learn if you have already formed your opinion? You cannot debate people like this. They are not listening to your point(s). They are just forming their response. It is easy to detect this in action. The person opposite will counter a well-constructed counterpoint, but the response is little more than an attack on a point which may have little real bearing on the overall content.

William F. Buckley is probably the quintessential evolution of intelligence missing lack of intelligent conclusions. There is no question about the man's brilliance. He just cannot score a touchdown. He always seems to fumble on the 1 yard line. When I watch him debate, it is like he gets mental laryngitis at the end. Why do some people have this perception chastity belt?

Reading your discourse with fanboysarelame, I recognize the same patterns of debate I have had with far too many people. You cannot change their beliefs. They operate solely by opinion. They are not looking for evidence to become more learned. They believe they are the holder of the ultimate answer. The best thing non-Trolls can do is let their posts be totally ignored. If you post under them, you cannot do anything but lose.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
See, this is why I don't do the whole IM thing...

What a bloody annoying little prat.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
crap! i wanna play with him :(

it's all a show you know. he's just playing about. he might even like Apple? Don't get wound up by him. THINK ON!

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
Lets get even with him. Have a group chat with all 89 thousand of us MR'ers. Gang chat him. Thats the word. :p

Than what would he do? Admit he's a Mac guy in disguse? :D

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Lets get even with him. Have a group chat with all 89 thousand of us MR'ers. Gang chat him. Thats the word. :p

Than what would he do? Admit he's a Mac guy in disguse? :D

I actually remember him telling me something like "I have an iBook but I don't want to sleep with it."

But we have more important things to do with our time than give him attention...

*goes back to picking lint out of belly button*

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Fanboy guy, I will start going on AIM/iChat more often. PLEASE message me. I would love a chat :) I don't get angry the usual way so I could be good practice.

I look forward to hearing from you! Just I used to run a similar kind of character in HL2 so I'd love some tips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.