My conversation with "fanboysarelame"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dpaanlka, Nov 14, 2006.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

This was fun! I especially enjoyed the parts about LEDs on PC cases, BMW cars, and Mac OS 9 vs Windows 98.

And with that he suddenly signed off in a cowardly fashion.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So who is this loser exactly? And why are you friends with her/him?

3. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well, I would hope he is. And I'm not friends... this person has a colorful history of instant messaging MacRumors members and leaving them nasty messages. The whole convo took only a few minutes so I didn't waste nearly as much time on him as he wastes on MacRumors members as a whole.

4. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i detect a little ignorance through arrogance from fanboysarelame...?

why is he telling you this anyway? its bleedingly obvious he isn't going to make you switch back.

I love the hypocrisy coming from fanboysarelame in the conversation as well. he calls you an attention whore, then talks about how you can modify your peecee with annoying neon lights :rolleyes:

6. iGary Guest

iGary

He's trolled me several times. Why did you even talk to him?

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

A lot of us have gotten IMs from them from time to time.
    It's fracking annoying.

Troll needs to get a new hobby.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Glad to see we're giving him the attention he so obviously craves. :rolleyes:

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

LOL what a willy.

People like that are best left with their whining flashing at-home-in-a-science-lab computers, nothing else to do in their life.

Do you think he's got a girlfriend?

10. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Exactly, he is only doing it to see if he can provoke some reaction. This thread only gives him what he wants. It's better to just ignore him.

11. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I actually like it and find it lightly amusing... especially during a really boring lecture or class or what-have you. I hope he IMs me again when I have nothing to do so I can pick up the conversation.

12. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Look. People have needs -- we all, to a pretty large degree, act out of our needs. We post here out of our needs.

I fail to see how public humiliation and name calling help this person beyond forcing them to further repress the actual reasons for their actions.

13. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I think the point is this person doesn't have an actual reason. Why in the world would anybody bring up Mac OS 9 or Hockey Puck mice and use that as an example of why I shouldn't use Macs or be a fan of Apple, even today? What does that stuff have to do with anything??? Let him repress.. he doesn't have any basis for anything.

And I liked OS 9 anyway...

14. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I'm never going to use a PC again! My Cherry 3 button PS/2 mouse was rubbish! PCs are really bad!

15. eMac4ever macrumors regular

eMac4ever

Well, at least he admitted it.

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Never had any direct dialog with this individual. Really would not want to. There is a personality type, which somewhat baffles me. They are people who first form an opinion, then can only see evidence supporting it.

Admittedly, I sometimes fall into this trap, as do most people I know. The difference is the ability to be able to recognize it, and adjust as the situation merits. Many of us also can develop an emotional attachment to our opinions and find it difficult to capitulate even when we realize we should. I think they call this stubbornness.

Regardless of all this, the ability to learn (IMHO) is based around the ability to analyze. How can you learn if you have already formed your opinion? You cannot debate people like this. They are not listening to your point(s). They are just forming their response. It is easy to detect this in action. The person opposite will counter a well-constructed counterpoint, but the response is little more than an attack on a point which may have little real bearing on the overall content.

William F. Buckley is probably the quintessential evolution of intelligence missing lack of intelligent conclusions. There is no question about the man's brilliance. He just cannot score a touchdown. He always seems to fumble on the 1 yard line. When I watch him debate, it is like he gets mental laryngitis at the end. Why do some people have this perception chastity belt?

Reading your discourse with fanboysarelame, I recognize the same patterns of debate I have had with far too many people. You cannot change their beliefs. They operate solely by opinion. They are not looking for evidence to become more learned. They believe they are the holder of the ultimate answer. The best thing non-Trolls can do is let their posts be totally ignored. If you post under them, you cannot do anything but lose.

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

See, this is why I don't do the whole IM thing...

What a bloody annoying little prat.

18. emmawu macrumors 6502

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

crap! i wanna play with him :(

it's all a show you know. he's just playing about. he might even like Apple? Don't get wound up by him. THINK ON!

20. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Sounds like ol' Onizuka should pay this douche a visit and teabag him with my 2002 Quicksilver.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Computer religion is so 1990s. Somebody needs to move on.

22. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

He messaged me once, I don't even want to remember what he said.

23. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Lets get even with him. Have a group chat with all 89 thousand of us MR'ers. Gang chat him. Thats the word. :p

Than what would he do? Admit he's a Mac guy in disguse? :D

24. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I actually remember him telling me something like "I have an iBook but I don't want to sleep with it."

But we have more important things to do with our time than give him attention...

*goes back to picking lint out of belly button*

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Fanboy guy, I will start going on AIM/iChat more often. PLEASE message me. I would love a chat :) I don't get angry the usual way so I could be good practice.

I look forward to hearing from you! Just I used to run a similar kind of character in HL2 so I'd love some tips.