My Cool DIY Wooden Dock and Stand for iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by nilzi, Aug 6, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Hi guys, today I share my DIY about how to make a simple wooden iPhone dock and stand:
    If you don’t want to pay money for a dock and stand that didn’t come with your new iPhone, you can consider making one by yourself according to my step-by-step instruction.
    You Need the Following Tools & Materials:

1.A piece of wood
    5.A piece of sandpaper

Step One: Prepare a Piece of Wood before DIY iPhone Dock
    You need to get a piece of wood. In another word, you can use some related tools such as the saw and the chisel to finish this work. We get the wood from a used wooden door.

Step Two: Design a Deep Groove
    Use the carving tools to make a deep groove, the width should be wider than the iPhone.

Step 3: Design the Through-hole
    Design a through-hole in the middle part of the deep groove, the size of the groove should be able to hold the port of the USB.

Step 4: Design the Groove
    Design the groove on the back part of the dock, so that the data cable can go through the groove successfully.

Step 5:polish the DIY iPhone Dock and Stand
    Polish the surface of the dock with a piece of sandpaper.

Step 6: Try This Wooden iPhone Dock
    Place the cellphone on the dock, the DIY work has been accomplished.

Tips for the instruction: Firstly, it is advisable to use a pen to draw the lines on the position of the wood where you plan to design the groove before starting the design. Secondly, please be careful when using the sharp tools. What’s more, if you like DIY instructions, welcome to comment this post, and I will share more my DIY accessories for iPhone.
  2. macrumors 65816

May 4, 2012
    A pen should never be used to mark wood.
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Could you tell me why?
  4. macrumors 65816

May 4, 2012
    You can sand out pencil marks, but not pen marks since the ink actually stains the wood.
  5. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 19, 2013
    you are right, it's my mistake.
  6. macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2012
    Dallas, Tx
    great job. I've been considering a dock. Might have to just make one myself!
  7. macrumors 6502

Nov 9, 2011
    You realize with some stains and varnishes and add some branding you have a business.
  8. macrumors regular

Mar 4, 2012
    for iPhone 5? That is clearly an iPhone 4 with a 30 pin dock connector js.