Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSisko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Switzerland
Shipped yesterday, wasn´t expecting it before monday, but the delivery guy called me from outside my house and said that since I have to sign it, I could pick it up outside my office after he´s done his rounds.
Can´t wait to try this cat out!!!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You'll love it. Upgrading from Panther, right? With an iBook like that, it's a pretty safe assumption.

So, what sort of install are you planning on doing? No matter which one tickles your fancy, make sure everything's nicely backed up. :)

TheSisko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Switzerland
mad jew said:
You'll love it. Upgrading from Panther, right? With an iBook like that, it's a pretty safe assumption.

So, what sort of install are you planning on doing? No matter which one tickles your fancy, make sure everything's nicely backed up. :)

Well since I only got it a month ago, I don´t have anything important on it. I was wondering, what´s the biggest difference between update and archive&install?

TheSisko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Switzerland
SpaceMagic said:
Only 8 weeks late ;) No worries!

Enjoy.

Oh and tell us if its Mac OS X 10.4.2 or .1

Cheers.

Yeah, got it through up-to-date, before I read that you could do that, I was was pretty upset that I had gotten Panther in the box.
But now I´m happy it wasn´t included, since I´ve had some time to play with my first Mac and get aquianted with OS X, and now I get to have even more fun with Tiger!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
TheSisko said:
Well since I only got it a month ago, I don´t have anything important on it. I was wondering, what´s the biggest difference between update and archive&install?

Well, there are tons of threads on this already but this one should answer most of your questions sufficiently. :)

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Do they check? Or could someone buy a new computer with Tiger and call and say it didn't come with Tiger and get another copy?

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
To sell maybe? I duno.

But, if you do an Erase Install, make sure you back up Panther's Classic System folder, as Tiger doesn't have one (nor does it have AppleWorks).

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Plymouthbreezer said:
But, if you do an Erase Install, make sure you back up Panther's Classic System folder, as Tiger doesn't have one (nor does it have AppleWorks).
Better yet, back up everything - you're erasing everything and may find other apps, etc., that you might want back after the upgrade.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
TheSisko said:
Shipped yesterday, wasn´t expecting it before monday, but the delivery guy called me from outside my house and said that since I have to sign it, I could pick it up outside my office after he´s done his rounds.
Can´t wait to try this cat out!!!

Mine too! Except that I am at work and don't get to play with it until tonight. :(

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Plymouthbreezer said:
To sell maybe? I duno.

You don't have to do this. You can put them back on from the CDs that came with your computer. No boxed OS X has ever come with Classic or machine-bundled applications on the disc, AFAIK.

TheSisko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Switzerland
I didn't get too choose install, it automatically did the update. However everything is working perfectly (love Dashboard:)). Not very surprising since I basically had a perfectly clean Panther install.

EDIT: I think I just missed the "Option"-button.

MDA

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2002
TheSisko said:
I didn't get too choose install, it automatically did the update. However everything is working perfectly (love Dashboard:)). Not very surprising since I basically had a perfectly clean Panther install.

EDIT: I think I just missed the "Option"-button.

So what version is it?

MDA

TheSisko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Switzerland
MDA said:
So what version is it?

MDA

It's 10.4.0. But how could it be 10.4.2 when that version isn't even released yet? And anyway, why would anyone care what version is on the DVD, when it's free to update via Internet?

Applespider

macrumors G4
TheSisko said:
And anyway, why would anyone care what version is on the DVD, when it's free to update via Internet?

Perhaps those with dial-up who might be waiting to update until some of the bugs reported to be fixed in 10.4.2 are out. Downloading a 50MB file on dial-up is not fun although it's a long time since I've had to!

TheSisko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Switzerland
Applespider said:
Perhaps those with dial-up who might be waiting to update until some of the bugs reported to be fixed in 10.4.2 are out. Downloading a 50MB file on dial-up is not fun although it's a long time since I've had to!

Perhaps, but they'd still have to download 10.4.3-10.4.9 :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.