My course's late mark policy - halrious.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DeSnousa, Jun 12, 2006.

1. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I have my philosophy essay due today, and I thought I would read the late mark policy. Best system used :D

The essay is out of 40 marks.

That made me laugh. Like I said the essay is marked out of 40 marks. With that said it still is getting handed in on time :eek:

2. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I don't get it....what's so funny? I mean, he's not going to be unreasonable with lateness. Your pride in your work should motivate you to turn stuff in, but when you have unavoidable conflicts, it is nice to know that there is some flex. At work, we when had serious conflicts, we would re-prioritize, and what didn't get done on deadline we would eat the consequences if that meant getting even more essential stuff done (especially in emergency situations).

3. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

uhh what? lol reminds me of one of my profs in college. He was well meaning, but he handed out a lot of assignments that were worded like that.

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

It's worth 40 points so you could pass it in 10 days late and still get a 75 on it if it was perfect

While what i normally see is one day late goes down half a grade

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's more generous than I was with my students.... :eek:

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

7. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

When you compare it to my other subjects, where they deduct 50% a day it is funny, I'm not trying to abuse the system and like I said it's being handed in on time :)

8. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

It's a first year introduction course, I believe the lecturer meant for us all to pass, while we where getting used to university life. He is a legend and great teacher, will being considering more philosophy courses because it is relevant to my area of interest and because he has a great way of teaching :)

9. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Geeez... I'm only in 10th grade, and a day late on a project/essay for me is 25% off. 2 days is 50%. 3 days and it's a 0.

Also, if you're not at school on the due date, so it's assumed you're skipping even if you are sick. That said, if your assignment doesn't make it school anyway (email, parent drop off, with a friend, etc.), it counts as a day late.

My English teacher was particularly anal about this. Weekends counted too, and that means you have to take it to her house or email it. She checks the email's date to make sure she received before your scheduled class period would have ended on a normal day... :rolleyes:
    I'm glad she's not my teacher anymore...

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well then hes doing his job if your learning and he is generating interest in the subject matter.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

What's the spelling reduction policy? ;)

Actually I like that as an adjective

halrity, adv. halrious:
    a sudden or unexpected reversal in a relationship, esp. where the subservient party assumes a position of absolute power. Source, A.C. Clarke, "Open the pod bay doors, HAL"

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I loved my philosophy/religion class that i took in college

13. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I fell so silly for all those years believing that the real world is always like that...that my boss wouldn't tolerate any sort of lateness, etc.

Lo and behold, emergencies happen. When dealing with the government (state or federal), the penalty for being late is minimal enough that it doesn't hurt, but does force you to go cutting checks. When you have conflicts, your boss knows what is essential to the functioning of the entity and what can wait. Heck - I had a project that I was working on for four months that was originally supposed to be due in one month. But, it wasn't essential and became a minimal priority.

Nothing personal towards the english teachers out there, but what is it with the worst teachers being english teachers? To this day I have ill feelings toward my english teacher from senior year and her comments about the last creative writing assignment of HS. That being said, two years earlier, I had one of my best teachers as an english teacher. Encouraging, educational, motivational...all without trying to bully students around....Sorry about the vent...stressful day.

14. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

My English teacher this year had a policy that for every day late the paper dropped an entire grade. And I was only a highschool sophmore! I think you got lucky with this guy!

15. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

This one is the kicker. If the prof is quick at grading essays you may only have 2-4 days before he gets it back to you and subsequently zeros any submissions.

16. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I wish I had this policy. Of course I did turn in an assignment a month late and I got a 35/40 ;)

17. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I wasn't even allowed to hand in an essay late. It had to be there at the beginning of class and if it wasn't, you got a zero. Absolutely no exceptions.

19. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I turned in 0 (count 'em) papers less than a week late in my senior english class. Yes, I did fine. :D

20. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Talk about an easy ride...:D

If my students are 1 second over the deadline, they get their work capped at 40% (the passing grade), if they are more that 1 week late (5 working days) then it gets 0%.

This is University policy, we don't get a choice. Extensions require documentary evidence.

I can't stand this idea of "deferred success" that seems to be floating around lately, the truth is that some students simply aren't good enough to receive a degree, and should be failed. Sadly it's also true that UK Unis allow resits and retakes and you have 7 years to complete an Honours degree.

21. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Interested in this, as my colleagues (and administration) have been orbiting the same idea. When you say "good enough," how are you drawing that definition? Not able, not motivated (intrinsically or extrinsically) or some combination of the two? Is "good enough" standardized at your university, or is "good enough" an assumed standard that's actually subjective across the body of the faculty?

Moreover, how much responsibility do your colleagues take for the students not being "good enough?" Does every student have the capacity to demonstrate their intelligence in such a way that reflects a definition of "good enough?" Or does your university demand that very specific intelligences (such as writing or memorization rather than performance) be manifested?

22. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I had a teacher in HS with that philosophy. There is no turning in late. He said in the real world if FedEx messes up the delivery by 5 minutes and your bid on the DoD contract didn't make it in on time, oh well, Martin Marietta just got it, better luck next time.

23. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

So what's with the weekly "UPS/FedEx/DHL/XYZ Carrier sucks!!1" posts? :D

24. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    All I know is where I work and it ABSOLUTELY has to be there we hand carry the whatever to the Delta Terminal, and it is carried by Flight Attendants and airline personnel to where-ever where we have a courier pick it up at the counter and carry to the client.