My (coworker's) PS3 Story

Discussion in 'Games' started by tobefirst, Nov 30, 2006.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I just had to share...

I'm still laughing. My coworker has been waiting on the PS3 for months. He wasn't crazy enough to wait in line for 48 hours to get one, but he's definitely been feening (how do you spell that?) for one.

One of my friends works at Best Buy, so he'll give me updates on how many they are expecting, when they expect to have them, etc. so that I can pass it along to my coworker.

Well, he just called, and said, "They're in. Right now. On the shelf."

I told my coworker, who, by the way is 34 years old, and he starts jumping up and down. "What do I do? What do I do? Should I leave? Should I go?" He said he's getting all anxious and nervous as he tries to decide what to do.

He tells our boss that he has to leave. Won't tell him why or if he'll be back today...he's just freaking out saying he has to leave.

Hahaha...

That was about 10 minutes ago. I'm waiting to hear if he got one. Crazy guy. :)

EDIT: Well, he got one. Hahahaha. He said he was all shaking and anxious and couldn't stop it, even after he got it.

2. Keebler macrumors 68030

definitely not married is he? ;)

3. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Divorced. :)

4. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

His ability to sacrifice real life responsibilities for a games console might explain that one :rolleyes:

5. astewart macrumors member

6. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Hey now...it also plays movies. :)

7. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

That makes it better how?

Kevin

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

that's my thoughts, he's lucky he got one. at least he didn't leave work in vain

9. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

[sarcasm]

But it's a SUPER-COMPUTER!! He definitely did the right thing, even if he gets fired.

[/sarcasm]

10. apb3 macrumors regular

apb3

It's "Fiending"

F-I-E-N-D-I-N-G. Although, your spelling, "feenin" is often used; esp. in song titles/lyrics.:)

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

"fiending"

Maybe he shouldn't have left work, who knows? I'm sure if his job depended on it, he wouldn't have left... And it's not only unfair, but ludicrous to extrapolate his leaving work early one day as an example of why his marriage dissolved.

At any rate, tobefirst, thanks for sharing, I think it's sort of cute how your friend was so anxious. I can relate to feeling that excited about something. :D And I'm glad he got one.

:edit: dang it, same time stamp as apb3, but still, just a smidge too slow. :p

12. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

It's also ludricrous to take flippant comments made on a messageboard that seriously :p

13. apb3 macrumors regular

apb3

Yes. I win!:p

Uh oh... that competitive spirit might lead to the end of my marriage.:rolleyes:

14. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Thank you and apb3 for the spelling. I couldn't think of it for the life of me!

And, you're right, if we didn't have the coolest boss in the world, and flextime that can be taken pretty much whenever we deem it "necessary" (necessary, of course, being relative to the individual), he definitely wouldn't have left.

It seems like you got the spirit of the post, devilot. It was quite the sight. :)

15. abbottpc.com macrumors member

I would check out you local Best Buy. I went in ours today and there was a sign on the door saying they were in stock. I wish I had the money to buy one but it's not in the budget. I seen 3 people walk out with them though. I have no idea how many they had but it is worth a shot.

16. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

17. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Kinda sad but i can't really judge since i did an almost similar thing for the Wii (only i waited launch day and just came into work an hour late :p ). Mazel Tov that he got one since he wanted it, but the PS3 to me is just jank.

18. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

Oh man, i was like this when i caled the apple store to ask if they got the C2D MBPs in, i was shaking and nervous while i waited for my dad to get home so we could go.

19. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

nice analogy bringing it back full circle. I remember waiting in line on the street when jaguar hit:D

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i once left uni when the latest Civilization got an early release :
    i was sitting in a course when i got the text message from a friend "the game store just updated their page, they got in civ early"

5 seconds later i was out of the room ;)

but it has to be said: the course wasn't mandatory and not really interesting and it was friday ;)

21. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I missed a lecture to get my pre-order in on Amazon.co.uk for my Wii. Not that I've ever missed any lectures for less important reasons... :rolleyes:

I would skip my lectures on Friday next week when my Wii's due to arrive but we've got a test in one of them which I really shouldn't miss. :( At least the day will be over by 12 so I'll have most of the day + weekend to enjoy my new toy!

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Haha, I had the EXACT same story. Except mine was on launch day. A few hours after launch Best Buy got a second shipment of two extra PS3's; I walked in right after they sold them, one of the employees looked in his database for me and noticed several stores listed 2 PS3's on order. So I called every Best Buy in town, they had all just received theirs...then I called a Best Buy an hour away. They said they hadn't received any. I asked them to check in the computer if they still had two listed on order. The lady put me on hold...

...and came back and said, "Actually, we have two in the back that nobody knows about. If you want them, I won't tell anyone they are here, but if someone asks, I have to give it to them."

I rushed out there. On the way I spoke to their manager to see if I could somehow prepay over the phone, and he insisted that whoever I talked to was mistaken, they have no PS3's.

I drove for an hour and managed to get the very last PS3, on launch day. I was shaking and anxious as you described, and had to pull over and get something to eat because I got sick to my stomach :) (I had been trying really hard to get a PS3, I tried to camp but lost the Wal-Mart lottery, and had given up hope after it launched, so it was mostly disbelief)