my current powerbook vs. the new imac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by atacinus, Sep 4, 2004.

1. atacinus macrumors 6502

hi...i currently have a powerbook G4 1ghz with 512mb ram...i am contemplating selling this and buying the new iMac G5 [can.t afford the standalone G5]...i am a film major and use the machine for editing...i thought i would like the portability of the book, but i end up leaving it on my desk 99% of the time...are the features [speed etc.] better on the imac G5...i mean i know the G5 is an upgrade...but how bout the rest of the machine...i know i.m losing the gigabit ethernet and the firewire 800, but i use neither...are there any other differences i should know about?

Thanks,
    Christien.

2. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Personally, I'd go for it. If you don't use the portability of the PowerBook, I don't see why you shouldn't get a desktop. For editing video I have no doubt that the G5 will provide a noticible performance boost. I don't know the graphics card in your PowerBook, but I'm sure it won't be better than the one in the new iMac (even if the Nvidia card is a disappointment). Really, I can't think of any downsides to making the switch from the PowerBook to the iMac G5.

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

given what you have said, I would go for it and not look back.

4. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

Well okay, i think i.ll go for it, so here.s the next question...when are these going to be in stores? I.d place my order online and wait for the shipping but i don.t have good enough credit, so i have to pay cash @ the store....but to do that it has to be in stock[!] ...anyone have any predictions? A couple weeks? This is the part apple sucks at....meh.

Christien.

5. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

id go for the G5. i think they should hit the stores soon. remeber theyve had on the web-site all summer that the new iMacs would arive in Sept. so i think theyve had all summer to prepare and will have them shipping soon. or at least thats what i hope, i really want to see one at the store.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree, if you can afford the change then upgrade. The G5 will be an improvement. Just be sure to add memory, have at least 1 GB. Crucial would be a good place to purchase.

7. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

go for it!!! Just like everyone else has said, do it and i'm sure you wont regret it! If you get ram from crucial just be careful because its browser aware. Basically it charges you a different price depending on what web browser you are using! Insane as it sounds try it out, i cant remember which browser is best but i tried Internet Explorer and Safari and there was a difference of about £8 last time i checked, thats about $14 ish. Shocking but true!

8. dieselg4 macrumors regular

dieselg4

In another thread about G5 shipping dates, epole ave said their local apple stores are getting iMacs in stock around 9/14. That jsut a little mroe than a week away, so you don't have to wait too long.

I wouldn't worry about the gigabit ethernet loss either - I mean, really when do you use it @ home? DSL & Cable modems don't take advantage of it anyway - they're much slower.