My dad got laid off today

Discussion in 'Community' started by cslewis, Sep 23, 2004.

1. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

My dad just was let go of his position as a computer programmer and software developer at Agere Systems. We always thought that these job cuts were happening to everyone else. Well guess what? He's gone. What are we going to do while he finds a job? (Sigh) Any job openings you know of in SE PA? He has experience with Java, C++, and some other languages that I don't remember... :eek: He's already sending his resume to some companies.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I wouldn't worry. If your dad has qualifications and experience, someone will scoop him up soon, I think. :)

3. spasticmutant macrumors member

I'm sorry to hear that. Getting let go is an extremely traumatic experience. Being extremely supportive of him is the best thing you can do right now.

If your Dad is a US citizen, now might be a good time to contact his congressional representatives and let them know that increasing the H1-B visa numbers or extending the stays will likely keep him unemployed longer - and oh, don't you know? We're having an election soon. Lots of visas will be expiring soon, and if they choose raise the allowable numbers or renew them, your Dad will have a much harder time finding another job. I'm all for allowing foreign immigration, but not at the expense of US citizens' employment.

Corporations don't vote. US citizens do. Let your representatives know how you feel.

4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Experiance is the key there and it sounds like your dad has it. Everything should be fine.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad loosing his job. I agree with others your fathers experience will be beneficial. He will probably find an even job. Just be open to the possibility of moving.

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry to hear. Happening all too much now. Far too easy to outsource, or to hire lower paid visa holders/less qualified grads.

A couple options for him would be to go independent as a consultant, or take his college degree and look for a teaching job.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Good Luck to him and your family, i hope it turns out for the best in the long run

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Good luck to him. I was looking at moving back there because the job market around Orlando really stinks. I haven't been in a development job since 2001.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, there is almost always something in Philly or South Jersey. It may not be heaven, but work is good. I remember it.

11. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Don't worry, something bigger and better will come his way and he'll be even better off than he was before :)

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

This happened to my uncle a while ago, except he was glad to leave his previous job because the guys there with stupid *******s. He didn't find another job until about a year ago, so he was out of work for about two years. He even resorted to writing C++ in a notebook :eek: Now, he's at some company near Boston working on PictBridge (mostly for Canon, but a few other companies are customers there too.)

13. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    When my dad was laid off when I was a freshman in college (yeah, no stress there) he wound up going into business for himself. He is less stressed, working less and making more.

14. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Oh, too bad :( I hope your dad finds something soon. Meanwhile give him all the moral support you can, and help where you can.

15. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Man... Layoffs sucks bad. Don't worry... He'll get another job. The market is actually picking up for develpers. :) At worst... You might have to relocate.