My Dad just told me...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G5Unit, Jan 9, 2006.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

That he knows a lot of people and they all say Steave Jobs is a complete Jacka**. That he has such a big ego and he's always yelling and he told everyone that he HAS to come out with an iPhone. I just don't want my "idol" to be mean:mad:

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You will find that many of the most successful people in the world are complete jackasses when you finally meet them. Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer, Dale Chihuly, Martha Stewart, Donald Trump, Pablo Picasso, Jackson Pollock, the list goes on and on. Force of personality, which often drives people to success, also makes them a bitter pill to swallow. And some very successful people have diagnosed psychological disorders which give on the one hand (creativity, ambition, etc.) and take on the other (bipolar, autistic/Asperger, etc.).

It's not often that you meet a very successful person who's not an ass when you meet them in person. When you do (as I have, several times), it's VERY cool. Some of the best artists in the world are just plain nice people when you meet them.

3. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Your dad's friends are wayyyy wrong. I have met him and no, he's not a jack@$$. He is actually a very inteligent and kind person, unlike Bill Gates who is a complete jack@$$ and knows jack $#!T about computers and the products he is trying to sell.

4. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Yeah, sure, Steve's got his personal *ahem* quirks, but then again, how many corporate figures with that kind of power are completely sane? And you can't argue (usually) with Steve's results.

EDIT: Yes, reberto, that is a good point as well. Of course there are the stories that make him come off as a jack@$$ at work, but I can't really comment on him as a person.

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Go read The Second Coming of Steve Jobs, it paints a fairly accurate portrait of Steve Jobs in his first term at Apple. He was not the nicest guy to work for. Many say that his time away from Apple has changed him, and calmed him down, but I hear that he loses his temper from time to time. I recall that during a MacWorld keynote, Steve was demoing an early version of iPhoto, and when he plugged in a digital camera something went wrong, and Steve threw the camera at an off stage techie.

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

And you know this about Billg because you've met him?

I have met Bill, a few times... and while he is demanding, he was very down to earth when I met him. (Didn't hurt that he had a couple of beers in him one of the times.) Then again, I've never sat across a table from him and been told that all of the code I've written over the past year is garbage, as I've heard he's done MANY times.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

What did you ened up getting for Christmas and your B-Day?

Sorry, off-topic.

I wouldn't change your mind about Steve until you meet him and he makes you feel differently.

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Yeah, but Bill is in charge at Microsoft, and I think that it's important that the leadership of a large and powerful group of people have a firm sense of reality and be able to speak the truth when the group seems to be going in the wrong direction. Would you rather that Bill Gates would form this alternate reality in his mind and convince himself that his company was writing good software?

(Just realized that this post might need to be moved to the political forum :eek: )

9. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Well, there seems to be a lot of mixed opinions here. But if he has to run a big company I guess it's ok to yell a lot.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

:D

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You apparently didn't meet Steve when he was yelling at someone with his office door open and throwing some substandard product out that same door.

Bill Gates isn't nice either, but he knows plenty. I wouldn't want him to develop software but he could certainly sell it.

12. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Steve Jobs comes across as the sort of person I could talk to for hours. And if he didn't, I'd kidnap him. :p

No seriously, I would really like to meet him someday. If only for a very brief moment and even if he punched me, I'd walk away smiling (unless he punched my teeth in).

I think a lot of people in a similar "power" position have an egocentric personality and they have to or else they wouldn't be so great at what they do.

"Mother Teresa" Steve Jobs wouldn't be good at doing business. :eek:

13. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Well, I got spoiled again:D
    2405fpw
    Blues Brothers
    Slap Shot 2
    My Cousin Vinny
    A couple starbucks cards

Why?

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

well im not surprise that he is a jackarse. there are not much people in the world like Stevie boy that dont have arseH_le tendencies.

Bless

15. mac-er macrumors 65816

I'm sure he has done it many times since the code that is being written is Windows.
    :rolleyes:

16. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Heard it goes both ways. As long as you know why SJ is an ass, it's okay in my book.

17. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

As in the hockey movie..... that second was terrible IMO. However the first and the original one is hilarious, i put it on my ipod :D :p "hey Hanrahand (sp) your wife's a...i know she told me" :D :D

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hell, I've met plenty of jackasses who didn't have two nickels to rub together, let alone a major company.

19. iGary Guest

iGary

Because there was this big riddle thing you ahd going on, right?

20. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

It's more that the executive in question (Bill, Steve, Steve) has a preconceived idea of how THEY would perform a specific task, but they're not the ones doing it... so when they see something they don't like, and if they're just having a bad day, they vent liquid hot magma over any hapless employee who happens to be in the way.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Never confuse a product you like with the person that created it.

Here's another book which describes Steve Jobs as a brilliant jackass. There are others.

Just because people are capable of designing something wonderful doesn't mean that they are wonderful people themselves. In the sports world, there's a number of people who are fantastic players but are poor excuses for human beings. And haven't we all heard of fans who admire certain actors, only to be disappointed when they finally meet them and find out that they're jerks?

22. belvdr macrumors 601

I think CEOs have to be very aggressive with their employees. They have to energize them in order to succeed in the marketplace. Of course, being a total jerk would not thrill me in the least and I think there are better ways to get the job done. But hey, to each his own.

23. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Agreed, a CEO of Job's caliber can't be the nicest guy all the time. You have to have (as anyone in any kind of management position who gives a damn will tell you) discipline.

If you don't, you're employees are like "My boss is my best friend" and do whatever they wish.

Im sure he's a hardass when he needs to be, but given the opportunities I've had to receive emails from him when I worked at Apple, his tone is generally very calm and very "forward movement" minded.

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Bad form responding to your own posts, don't you know. the MR police will be knocking at your door shortly. :D

25. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

personally i don't care about the people who make the products that entertain/ work for me. it's like the dixie chicks thing, she said something political and several bush lovers freaked out and destroyed their CDs. how stupid. did that really change their music any? i don't give two craps about these "celebrity" opinions so long as the products i utilize are still functional.

for the record i abhor country music, i'd rather jam an ice pick in my ear than listen to most of that rubbish... but the comparison worked here. ;)

so Steve might be a total jackass but who really cares? apple is still a good company whether or not he throws temper tantrums.