My dad's in surgery *right now*

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mjstew33, Oct 29, 2005.

1. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Ahh damn. My Dad is in surgery *right now*. He is having back surgery - 2 bulging disks, he's in a lot of pain. I'm just really worried. If you can, pray for him. I just need to like get this out of my system... Surgery started at 8:00 Central time.

They are going in through the front, the neck. Which really has me worrying...

Calm me down please......

Will update if I hear *any* news.

:( :( :( :( :eek:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Will have you and your family in my thoughts and prayers today.
    Let us know

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

iGary just had back surgery and is fine!!

I know it's scary, but it'll turn out well. The doctors and nurses are very used to doing this, they're pros, and he'll be healthy - and in a LOT less pain - before you know it. :)

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Anterior is usually the way they go for neck surgery. Hey, I had back surgery and was begging to be released 5 hours after I came out of it!

He'll be fine! I'll be thinking about you. :)

5. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Intricate surgeries are always unnerving, but I will have him in my thoughts and wish the best for your family. Remind yourself that he is getting the care he needs and remain positive.

6. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

hope all goes will with the surgury
    i will keep your father in my prayers

7. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

Good wishes for your dad's excellent outcome from surgery and your relief from the worry. Nothing like surgery on a loved one to give you the feeling everything is out of your control! I'd bet he is in the best surgeon's hands and will be better soon.

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Just sent up a prayer for your Dad, your family and the doctors working on him. Please give us an update later in the day if possible, but I'm sure he'll be fine.

9. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

Yeah... I'm just worried... I'm just really close to him. He's sorta lucky. Same thing happened 4 years ago... He didn't have surgery. 4 months of a ton of pain (used his clamshell everyday - He wrote a book about it.) But anyway... why was he lucky? This started Thursday.. right when he woke up, he knew it was back. Called the doctor and because he's a doctor (gynecologist) he got on the list first :cool:. Had an MRI and everything was totally messed up.

Doctor said he could go back to work on Monday, but he took Monday off and is returning on Tuesday. Fast recovery I guess...

10. iGary Guest

iGary

He's probably having an anterior laminoforaminotomy and microdiscectomy.

The worst thing about the whole surgery is the general anesthesia. The surgical site is an afterthought because of the almost instant removal of the pre-surgical pain.

He'll be fine.

11. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

He is definitely in my prayers. Back pain is one of the worst pains you can have. He will feel so much better when everthing is said and done. Keep us posted.

12. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

That must be tough I had a spinal cored surgery about 2 years ago and I know my it was ruff on my family. It was interesting because I think it was more stressful for them then it was for me.Will be praying for him...

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Don't be worried. Surgeons are pro people, and are probably the greatest people on this planet. Maybe i can say that because i hate blood!

My pops going in for surgery in a few weeks too. but I'm really looking forward to it. more than him! He has pretty crappy knee's through years of marathon running and he never sits down. right now hes in pain but that'll be right when he has his op in November. he's also set the operation date so that he can be off work for xmas, new year and my birthday! :)

all will be fine mate. besides if your dad is anything like mine then you can at least laugh at him later when he keeps dozing off from the knock-out stuff :)

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You and your Dad have been in my thoughts and prayers. Being a nurse I realize what your Dad is going through. My thoughts are with your family also, I pray for wisdom for the surgeon and nurses caring for your Dad, nurses are very important.

15. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

My prayers are with you. I know how hard it is to have a loved one go through surgery. My Dad had an accident and had to have five or so this year. It's very unnerving, but everything will be just fine. Spend some time finding flowers and chocolates for the recovery period, it will help you stop worrying as much.

16. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I'll pray for him. Having thrown my back out before, I can relate to the intense pain caused by back injuries.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Good luck.

A person's spine and back are everything. You really can't function when that area is messed.

Good luck and best wishes. ;)

18. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

No offense but i HATE human beings that use their position to get something above others. If you are a doctor other people come first. You don't just jump up to the top of the list. That is just horrible, who knows what other people had to get their surgery (that could be needed more than your father) postponed because your father had the audacity to commit a horrible thing.

Ugh i can't wait until i am Director of Pathology/Laboratory at the hospital i work at now because that **** isn't going to happen anymore.

I could get things done before other patients because i know almost every doctor in the hospital pretty well, but do i do that to the other patients, hell no i wait my turn.

ugh so annoying

anyways your father will be fine its not that bad of a surgery.

and don't try to bypass the censorship.

19. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yeah, I love to make sure that people entering the medical profession knew that they'd never get preferential treatment from their peers. Because, well, that'd be a strong incentive to work their asses off in med school and during their residency, knowing they'd be at the bottom of the list if they ever needed treatment. And it'd be wrong for them to use their knowledge of their peers to pick the right people to be in the room with them when they had procedures performed as well.

Because God knows no other profession on Earth provides perks for fellow members.

20. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

Wasn't my dad's decision :rolleyes:

Don't blame him - blame the doctor ;)

:rolleyes:

21. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

:d

Good News! My dad is OK! Woohoo!! :D I knew he was ganna be OK, but... You still have those worries, specially around the spinal cord.

He's hell right now :p :eek:

:D

22. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Glad to hear it – hope he makes a speedy recovery. :)

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is awesome news lilstewart92. I'm sure that you are very relieved. Just normal to be concerned, any surgery has risks. I pray for a full and speedy recovery for your Dad.

24. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Other Patients ALWAYS come first.

I know i will always be like that.

The reason i am working my ass off in pre-med and everything else is to help people.

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I'd agree with jsw on this one. Is it that hard to understand why people support others in their profession?

The patient may come first, but sorry, people in the same profession will be more understanding with each other and their families. It happens in many professions, although in medicine I guess the result of this is a bit more important.

If my mum, other close relatives, or good friends had cancer, they'd probably find that they wouldn't have to wait as long as others to get treated. Same thing will happen if I get married and have children. They're at the top while someone else gets bumped to 2nd.