My daughter has scarlet fever.....

Discussion in 'Community' started by Backtothemac, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, those that know me here, know that I am pretty easy going. But I have to say that there is a nurse in Birmingham Alabama that I would love to get my hands on. Two days ago, my wife called the Dr. and told them that my daughter had a red sore through with white pollups on her tonsills. Well, the nurse said " that is just a virual problem. It will go away in a day or two. Well, two days later. She has scarlet fever. Man, I am pissed. Yea, it is up to us as parents to take her to the Dr. over an hour away, but it is their responsiblity to say "you need to bring her in."

Question, have any of you ever had, or had children who have had scarlet fever? What can I expect, and just how serious is it?

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Well I'm not a parent [ojála que sí...] but my friend just had it, but is ok now and back in school. I am sure you know the scientific end of it, symptoms et al, so i wont bore you with that, but my friend curiously enough never went through a rash stage.

Is it true that scarlet fever is typically an 'old' disease? No one seemed to want to believe my friend had a disease which they hadnt heard about in 40 yrs ;) All it is is a rare case of strep throat if I am to understand it correctly.

Hope your daughter gets better soon :) make sure to keep what she and you touch separate, as the going rate is 1/4 people in a family with a person with scarlet fever will contract the disease...

-tazo

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Srry about what happened to your doughter. I hope she gets better:)

4. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

BTTM,

I hope your daughter gets well soon. The symptoms you describe at least sounds like strep throat which should have prompted the doctors to have you bring in your child to be looked at. Especially for school age children that may spread their virus/cold.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Woah. U will have to keep me posted man. I'll definitely buzz u this evening.

6. mquayle macrumors newbie

interesting fact

Scarlett Fever is caused by the strep virus. Everytime my kids get strep throat, they get a rash over they're entire body.
    My 5 year gets strep about twice a year.

Good Luck

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ugh! Sorry to hear that B2TM - I hope she gets well soon. Good luck!

D

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter having Scarlet Fever Backtothemac. My thoughts are with your daughter and your family. What is her name?

It is too bad that the nurse did not suggest that you bring her into the office. Medical care today has shifted the burden to the patient. We all need to be advocates for ourselves.

I don't have any pediatric experience. You need to be sure that you follow doctors orders. Follow directions on medication bottles. Finish the full course of antibiotics. She needs to get plenty of rest and fluids. No Aspirin because of the possibilty of Reyes Syndrome. You can use pediatric tylenol to reduce the fever.

http://www.reyessyndrome.org/

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Re: interesting fact

Are you sure thats not the mediciine they are using to treat her strep throat? I've had my share of strep throat and when i used to get amoxicillian it would give me a rash so I swtiched to something else and never had a problem ... my doctor concluded that I had an allergy to penicillian.. just something to consider

bttm- I hope she feels better, how long was she sick before she got to the doctor for the proper diagnosis?

10. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: My daughter has scarlet fever.....

Hey B2tm, sorry to hear.

My understanding is that it's sort of a side-effect of "Strep throat" and there isn't too much to worry about beyond getting the proper antibiotics.

Just to clarify for the rest...

Virus's don't respond to antibiotics
    Bacteria do.

Strep is a bacteria.

arn

11. judith macrumors regular

judith

My brother and I had Scarlet Fever as children in the 70's.

Mine was ugly, but normal, and lasted about 10 days. My brother however, developed a near-death case of pneumonia from the Scarlet Fever. I don't know if it is common for one to lead to the other, or to have them concurrently, or if it was just a freak occurence.

After my mother was handed (and accepted) the 'overly concerned parent' b.s. on the phone earlier in the day, my dad came home and discovered my brother had developed a 106+ temperature - he then loaded my brother into the car, drove him to the doc, and insisted he be seen. Good thing he did too, (my bro was hospitalized STAT: under a tent, I.V. antibiotics, etc.) ..God knows what've happened if he hadn't.
    It was damn scary!

Be careful to keep your daughter bundled-up and out of the cold, and otherwise treat the condition carefully - keep a watchful eye on her!

12. pooky macrumors 6502

Yes, it's generally considered "old." Scarlet fever was common in pre-antibiotic days. It occurs when the Streptococcus bacterium that causes strep throat gets a little overzealous and invades the skin, usually because someone with strep throat didn't get antibiotics in time. It used to be quite nasty, and could cause blindness, heart defects, death, etc. But, like so many other things these days, it can be treated easily now with antibiotics... God bless Alex Flemming.

13. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

hey bttm, sorry to hear about your daughter. i hope she gets well soon so she can have a good christmas.

I used to get strep throat, myself, around christmas time. it happened to me every year for about 3 or 4 in a row, heh. it sucks!

anyways, best of luck, man!

14. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Thanks for the support everyone. She went to the Dr. today, and they gave her some serious anti-biotics. The biggest threat from Scarlet Fever is that it can develop into rumatic fever. That is the big scare. They say she will be fine, and they were very appologetic for the nurses over the weekend. In fact they paid for the anti-biotics for my daughter!

Wow, I never expected that, but that was very nice of them. Saved us about $75.

Thanks again everyone, and eye, give me a shout tonight.

15. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

wow, that totally rocks, man. it's good to see they are empathetic and responsible enough to cover their own mistakes as best they can.

16. kevin49093 macrumors regular

Re: Re: interesting fact

My son was getting a similar reaction from the amox. this year (ear infection). Very red, blochy, and starting to swell by the time we got back to the Doctor.

17. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I discovered my allergy to amoxicillin in 7th grade when i was taking it after contracting strep throat....I had gotten strep every year since second grade, but this was the first time amoxicillin made me break out in quarter sized hives....now I take duricef when i get strep

18. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I had scarlet fever when I was five years old. Mom still asks me if I remember that. I always tell her that I don't because, well, I don't.

Like so many other diseases, when caught early, scarlet fever really isn't a huge deal. A week or so on antibiotics and your daughter will once again be destroying the house like when she wasn't sick. :D

Nothing like a little illness to take the edge off of a kid.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm happy to hear that the doctor's office corrected the situation in such a valuable way. Just be sure that you finish the entire amount of the prescription. The best way to prevent complications.

I hope that you were able to find it in your heart to forgive the nurse. It is difficult to determine a diagnosis over the phone. When it came to a patient I was always on the side of caution.

20. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yea, I have forgiven them. The way that they handled everything was very mature, and very responsible on their part today. I have to count my blessing for what I do have.

Oh, and her name is Madison Marie Stacey, but I call her Madi.

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is a very nice name. You are both very lucky to have each other, Backtothemac. Nice nickname also. Yes, we should give thanks for our blessings every day.