My day at Abbey Road Studios

Discussion in 'Community' started by mrjamin, Apr 1, 2004.

1. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

So, yesterday I spent the day at Abbey Road studios providing some creative input for a friend who was having their 2nd album mastered.

What can I say? Wow, what a day! About 10-12 years ago, I got obsessed with the Beatles, and then in turn, Abbey Road. I've read several books on the place! At about age 16, i discovered The Who, and The Rolling Stones and realised that The Beatles where no where near as good, almost lame in comparison. By this point, my obsession with beatlemania had dwindled.

So anyway, yesterday I signed in to reception, got directions from the receptionist on how to get to the mastering suite we were in. As I wandered round, I started to get a really strong sense of Déja vu. At one point, I knew exactly where I was and where all the key rooms were in relation to where I was. It was very obscure. As I made my way up the 3 flights of stairs to the top floor, I suddenly realised what a special place I was in! Walking past pictures of some of the greatest names (and some not so great) in music to date, taken in the rooms I was walking past; Queen, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, Bowie, Menuhin.

On the top floor, not only did I spot a room full of mac's and 23" displays, but some pretty amazing framed CDs etc. The guy who was mastering the album was a chap by the name of Chris Blair - he's worked with some seriously impressive names:

Radiohead (mastsered Kid A and OK Computer)
    Queen (mastered the Bohemian Rhapsody Single)
    Sting (all his recent albums!)
    The Beatles (various little bits)
    The Cure
    ... to name just a few!

So yeah, Went into the room to find my friend, her husband (and producer), Chris Blair and a guy by the name of Julian Kindred (who produced the last Delirious album, World Service). The next 5 hours were spent listening to my friends second album on a *seriously* impressive system! A pair of collosal B&W loudspeakers and goodness knows what else! Man, what a day! Was very interesting to hear who Chris worked with in that room!

So, the album we were working on, if you're interested, is called Speed Your Love by Cathy Burton (www.cathyburton.net), and is out on general release on May 17th. I'm hoping to get a few audio samples up on the site as soon as the new version is finished.

Apologies if the above is a little disjointed - its 3am, and I'm kinda dumbstruck :D

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

you lucky sonofabitch :p

interesting coincidence, me reading this. i hadn't thought about abbey road in a while, and i just got the 5th season of Ab Fab-- in which they visit abbey road themselves (and ruin the "lost" beatles tapes lol)...

So, did you have to cross the street on your way there? ;) there's just so much history in that one place, it's got to be magical.

paul

3. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Yeh, I did - the zebra crossing has moved tho! Its now about 10 metres closer to where "the photo" was taken.

edit: speaking of lost beatles tapes, Chris's pension is in the form of a load of old Beatles acetates!! (acetates where what albums were mastered on to, them pressed onto vinyl)

4. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Can you tell which apps he used on those Macs ?

Would be interesting.

P.S:: I have been there as well and I can fully understand your feelings. Even so I didn't record anything neither do I no someone who recorded there. As a tourist - I just walked in and had the chance to have several minutes to walk around before the security asked me to leave.

5. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

you can be pretty sure it was pro tools

6. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Why not Digital Performer ? I heard e.g. Madonna used it for her newest album.

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Can I just be a complete bastard and say I've recorded and mixed in Abbey road on many occasions, and we use the Mastering suite (with the B&W's) to master most of the stuff we do now......

...can I say that?

OK. :D :D

Abbey Road isn't my favourite London studio, that's a dead heat between AIR Lyndhurst Hall and The Strongroom, although I recently worked in the new mix studio at Shepperton on their lovely new Euphonix 4000, which is bloody lovely.

Sorry about the pic quality they're from my T816 phone camera... :eek:

8. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I think they have the Sonic Solutions mastering package there as well as the ProTools, but yes, ProTools HD3 it is.

9. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Not without me hating you. :mad: :D

I was pretty dumb struck standing outside of the Abbey Road studio.. couldn't imagine getting to work there.

10. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

...I am reliably informed!