My Dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Nermal, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have a bit of a problem. I'm looking at a new computer:

Athlon 64 3200+
    200 GB Serial ATA
    1 GB DDR400
    128 MB Radeon 9800 Pro
    DVD Writer
    SuSE Linux 9.1

That costs $2600. I'd like to keep using a Mac, but the cheapest G5 is $4465. There's no way I can justify that price difference. And I don't want an iMac or eMac, because they're not expandable. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Further specs available on request :)

Edit: Anyone tried PearPC on a high-end system? It's probably still too slow, but is bound to improve over time.

2. goodknight411 macrumors member

err... maybe you should check out the store again. The PowerMac dual 1.8ghz starts at $2000.

3. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I think he means upgraded to the specs of the PC.

That is a tough one. Are you planning on gaming with it? If so, then the PC might be a better option.

To me, I guess it comes down to this: A Mac is worth every penny.

Remind me of that phrase if ever I'm in your situation... :D

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

EDIT: I've never used Linux, only heard of it. Is it like Windows?

4. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

If you look at his location you'll see he's in New Zealand. That explains the disparity in price...

5. jcook793 macrumors regular

Looks like Nermal is in New Zealand, so converting dollars to Zambownis, that comes out to around 74,013 yen, or exactly $4465 in your "earth dollars". :D

Yeah, it's a tough call. It really comes down to how important OS X is to you. Before I switched to Mac, I tried using Linux as my primary desktop. It is pretty good, but there is enough of a frustration factor that I found myself going back to Windows a good bit. Then I finally spent some serious time with OS X at the Apple store and I was like "yes! this is it! a usable desktop unix!". I still use Linux like crazy for server work, but I'm too impatient these days to run it as my primary desktop.

Besides, it's hard to find competition for iPhoto and Final Cut Express on any desktop.

If you want to further confuse yourself, consider getting an AMD 2500+ mobile version and overclock that thing like mad. :)

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I agree that it all comes down to how important OS X is to you. If you use the OS a lot, I can't think of anything Linux gives you that you don't or can't get on OS X (given that almost any UNIX app can be compiled for it), but there's a lot of polish to OS X that you won't see on Linux.

App wise, you're still better off with OS X (or, obviously, Windows) than Linux - if you're looking for professional caliber apps and games.

If you were mainly looking to game, though, I'm guessing you'd be looking at Windows instead of Linux, hence I assume (perhaps wrongly) that games are less important, or that open source games are fine with you.

If you're a hardcore UNIX guy, OS X is pretty damn good in that area. A bit off the path in some ways, but a solid UNIX implementation.

If durability is important to you, then you should note that cockroaches and G5 cases are the only things that will survive a nuclear war.

I guess we need more info as to what you want to do with this system.

7. jcook793 macrumors regular

Nice! And so true.

Also, to be fair, the G5 is expandable but cramming more than 2 hard drives in there will require either a degree in engineering or one of those rigs that allows you to put the drives near the CPU, which still makes me cringe when I think about the air flow.

8. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Thanks, I needed a laugh :)

:eek:

I thought WineX was pretty good for games these days. Anyway, I will also have Windows on it, I just didn't mention it above because I don't need to pay for it - I still have XP floating around somewhere. Plus, MS is offering a "free" copy of 64-bit XP. Yes, I'm aware that it'll expire eventually. I'd prefer to use Linux though, I don't like having a Microsoft dependency. But of course I'd prefer OS X even more!

9. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

After reading a 14 page review of the system I'm looking at, it basically confirmed my worst fears - I've decided to hold onto my G4 for a while longer.

10. OziMac macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity, what did the review say that was so bad?

By the way, I am just across the Tasman, and the cheapest G5 here is $3500 (or $3100 EDU which would be the way to go for you since you're a student - which is NZD 3400) ... are you adding on the screen as well or something? If not, that's a much smaller price difference, and perhaps its time to take a short holiday and bring an empty suitcase :) Or given that we're supposed to be a tax free zone for you guys, maybe someone could send it to you from here?

And what exactly are you planning on using the G5 for that you can't already do on your current G4 (albeit, slower)? Because that looks like a pretty schweet machine to me... ;)

11. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The review itself didn't really say that it was bad, but after 14 pages, lots of minor annoyances (eg. 4 pin FW, lack of internal bays, etc) start to add up.

Nope, we just get ripped off over here.

Yeah, the only difference between AU and NZ models is the modem cable. And I have DSL so I don't need the cable. On the other hand, if I'm going to import, I might as well get it from the US for even cheaper, I'd just need an adapter for the power plug.

Now that you mention it, the G4's probably fine. It's my first "real" Mac (my previous one was a cheapie, just as an introduction to the Mac). I suppose I still have a bit of a habit from the PC world, where you need to have the latest and greatest to get anything done (hello bloatware :rolleyes: ). Upon noticing that my Mac's a year old, I went price hunting. But when I actually seriously think about my needs and my current system's capabilities, I probably don't need an upgrade at all! :eek:

Having said that, a bigger hard drive would be nice. And maybe a new video card for Doom 3. But I cartainly don't need to replace the entire system to accomplish that! :eek:

12. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

That Athlon could be cheaper. Shop around for a less expensive Athlon system and the money you save you can get a new eMac too.

13. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

With the eMac starting at $1608, I don't think I could save that much by getting a cheaper Athlon. Plus I want a DVD writer, so that would mean getting the $1979 eMac :eek:

14. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Yea, that is too much money. I recommend the Athlon if Macs cost that much over there. Perhaps you will find a used CRT iMac that you can still use to experience OS X. It's a great O/S. Emulators won't be able to run it fast enough even on an Athlon. I had a mid-range Windows machine and a low-end Mac when I first switched. Eventually I went to a G5 and a cheap PC but that took years to make the transition. I bought my G5 2Ghz Dual for $2,500 in U.S. dollars back in Sept of 2003. I use a cheap CRT monitor to get by on until I can afford a flat screen.

One way you can have a G5 and an Athlon is to do freelance video work with your G5 and that can bring in money that can be used to pay for your Athlon. Maybe there is a demand for that kind of service in your area.

15. wide macrumors 6502a

I would get the PC. If I ever get a desktop again, it will most likely be for gaming. Thus a PC is a better choice. I've converted to a laptop user. PCs are good only if you need a lot of power. Laptops (especially Windows laptops although they might be bulky) have more power that I need if configured optimally. With the arrival of the e600/e700/G5 PowerBook, the need for a desktop will be virtually eliminated (for me, at least).

16. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm going to keep my existing Mac. Basically, I saw the specs and price of the Athlon 64, and decided that I wanted one. I (stupidly) didn't stop to think that my G4 is perfectly adequate. Although it would be nice to get games a bit quicker.

17. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

e600? e700? What are they?

Edit: Don't answer that, next time I'll use Google before replying, not after.