My Dock Disappeared!!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by libobbes, Feb 17, 2004.

1. libobbes macrumors newbie

OMG! someone has got to help me! I was reinstalling the Transparent Dock when all of a sudden it disappeared and my desktop picture started changing every 2 seconds....its like its possesed! I have a G4 and am running Jaguar OS 10.2.8.

I got the desktop to stop, but I still can't get back my Dock! I've uninstalled Transparent Dock application, I've tried to move the position of the Dock to see if it would appear, but to no avail!!!!

I appreciate and am in debt to all and any who can help me fix this. thanks.

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Try repairing permissions.

Applications-->Utilities-->Disk Utility

3. libobbes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks rdowns

I've not tried that yet. I appreciate it!

Perhaps tomorrow I'll be :D

4. libobbes thread starter macrumors newbie

Deleted files....

Hey, is there a way to recover deleted files, even after they've been deleted from the trash can?

A friend just told me that my dock problem may be because of Transparent Dock not being the latest updated version, but I uninstalled that in my attempt to fix my problem and with it went the back-up copies of the dock...:confused:

5. Cindy macrumors regular

Re: Deleted files....

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Have you tried pressing command-option-D. If the dock is hiding that will bring it back. There are also dock settings in system preferences, if you haven't seen them yet.

If you have a version for 10.1 you might have problems. I remember something about the dock code changing a lot from 10.1 to 10.2.

Give clear dock a try--unsanity.com. I have never had a problem with it.

If you can't get your dock back you can try to get a fresh start--create a new user account and see if it has a dock.

7. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Re: Deleted files....

yes there sure is..there is a software from norton and some other vendorrs too i guess. U can check out norton site for norton utilities 8.0
    but I must say I have never tried that.
    hope it helps

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Deleted files....

Yeah and unless they have improved it on a scale of about 10,000% it doesn't work worth.......

Also I will never use Norton again. I and many others have on more then one occasion had it screw up more things in OSX then it ever fixed.

9. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

Which version of TD are u running. When i upgraded from Jag to panther, i had the same problem. There is a version of TD for Jag users and one for Panther users. Make sure your using the right version.

10. beefcake macrumors 6502

well, its transparent, isn't it?

Just kidding. I remember this being a problem with .2.7 came out, so I imagine if you search a few months back in various forums you'll find some info on how to fix it.

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

file recovery is iffy at best... Norton UnErase is the best tool that i've personally used. When a file is deleted, it's not removed from the disk; that would be pointlessly time-consuming. Rather, it's marked as 'deleted', so the space on the disk is available as free space. as long as nothing overwrites that spot, you should be OK, theoretically. However, even with a very large disk, everyday use will quickly corrupt your old, deleted files. So, sometimes you can do it, but don't count on it.

FYI, since deleted files are available like this, they're also accessible by other people, including people you may later sell the computer to, and various authorities. You must zero all data before getting rid of your hard drive, else your credit cards, personal information, etc will be sitting right there.

paul