my dock is dusty...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macrlz9, Nov 17, 2005.

1. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

ok well in this picture it will appear that the little triangles have been in the same position too long and when they move the dust outlines them.... that's what it looks like anyway... this has been driving me crazy lately. if i move my mouse some more they will go away. am i the only one?

Attached Files:

2. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Strange. Have you used anything like transparentdock? cleardock? tinkertool? cocktail? onyx? If so, what settings have you enabled related to the dock. If not, well, I'm stumped, but you can try repairing permissions.

llama

3. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Maybe temporarily moving the dock to the left side of the screen and then moving it back to the bottom will shake off the dust, so to speak. Strange problem though, I don't know what it could be...

4. Lau Guest

That's strange you say that, because when I restart my PB, while the blank white screen is up, I have a little battery and airport symbol burned into the top right of my screen. I thought you didn't get that on LCDs. :confused:

5. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Here's an article about LCD burn-in. I guess it does happen, but it shouldn't be permanent. Strange that it happens though, I didn't realize it could either.

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

LCD burning is actually VERY common... but like SummerBreeze said, it "shouldn't" be permanent. Every source i've ever found says its not permanent, but I'm not sure if I really believe that.

7. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

8. kewpid macrumors regular

I remembering having the same problem. Like Flying llama suggested, I think it has something to do with Transparent Dock.

9. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

What's so great about Transparent Dock? Why don't people just use ClearDock?

10. steelfist macrumors 6502a

oh. at first glance at the thread's name i'm like WTF? well, "mine's" never dusty ;)

11. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

I experienced crashes with APE on a perfectly sane powerbook, so that's no cleardock for me...

Now, I prefer managing apps using QuickSilver or Terminal.app

12. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Well, now I use ClearDock, but I remember Transparent Dock having a few features I couldn't change from any other program...

llama

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If it is in the screenshot, then it is likely a programming error.

Artifacts happen when there are driver problems, or some error in Quartz Extreme or one of the other engines Apple is using to speed things up.

Remember somebody posted not long ago about other types of artifacts appearing on their screen. Square drag box type things or something like them sticking around.

14. efoto macrumors 68030

I forget exactly what features they are, but Transparent does contain some features that Clear doesn't....and Transparent is a single app/install, whereas Clear requires APE which bus some people.

15. russed macrumors 68000

russed

is it just me who was thinking about an ipod dock when i read the title??

oh well i guess it was! :D