my dock keeps getting stuck...anyone else get this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by student_trap, Jan 31, 2007.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

hey, i tried posting this in the macbook/macbook pro forum to no avail. basically for the last couple of days my brand new mac has been acting a little strangely,

1. the dock gets stuck in hiding mode, so that when i mouse to the bottom of the screen it does not appear. if i set it to stay put then it works, but it wont come out of hiding OR magnify untill i lof out of my user and log back in, or restart.

2. about 5 days ago i was watching a movie and the sound just cut out...is this normal?

3. i had a system freeze, everything just wouldn't work, but the kernal screen didn't come up, so i waited and waited and eventually hard rebooted.

i have been using macintosh for years and have never had these sorts of problems before...should i be thinking about taking my machine back?

2. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

3. lee.anderson macrumors regular

lee.anderson

I get the stuck dock all the time, to fix it go to the terminal in the utilities folder and type this (include all capital letters)
    killall Dock.
    That should fix it for you.
    And your system freezes, I get this, but it appears it freezes when im using EyeTV Hybrid and watching TV for a couple of hours, so im interested in this problem as well

4. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

out of interest, what machine, os are you using, i am using a mbp 2.33 running 10.4.8?

5. lee.anderson macrumors regular

lee.anderson

im using a mac mini 1.66 running 10.4.8, but before when i bought the computer i had 10.4.7and my tv card froze my computer then aswell.
    Have you tried an Apple Hardware Test to see if it is bad ram?

6. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

my computer is only 8 days old and i ran the hardware test when i first got it and all was ok. either way, i have not installed ram myself.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

If it is not the ram or apps you install then I would suggest taking it back as soon as you can to get it looked at or exchange...safest bet.

Bless

8. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Do you, by chance, have a logitech mouse and the Logitech control center?

9. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

no, im using a bt mighty mouse if that makes a difference?

10. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Well, when i installed the Logitech Control center, my dock would get stuck, and simply would not zoom. But you are using the mighty mouse, so thats obviously not the source of the problem.