My dog is sick

Discussion in 'Community' started by GFLPraxis, Jul 25, 2005.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Sorry to subject you guys to my complaining, but I felt the need to vent.

My dog is really sick; she barely lifts her head up and won't make eye contact, and has a hard time standing straight. She probably won't survive the week.

She's really old; 16 years old. I've had her the last 13 years. I'm feeling sick to my stomach just thinking about losing her :( Especially on top of just losing my cat a few months ago (April).

Sorry, I just felt the need to vent somewhere :(

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

You should take her to the vet and have her gently put down. I don't think it's right to let her suffer till she does finally die.

3. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

She doesn't appear to be suffering. She seems dizzy and tired, but not in pain, at all.

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Maybe you can take her to the vet to see what's wrong?

Sorry to hear about your dog btw :(

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

My heart goes out to you.

I've had pets my whole life and have had to endure the pain of one of my cats contracting FIV (the feline, hence the "f," version of HIV) and then leukemia. I'm sorry your dog isn't well.

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Sorry to hear about that. Your best option may be too gently let your dog down. Hope that everything turns out alright... :(

7. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Thanks, everyone.

Perhaps that might be best. Though I have a clue. She's always had this problem since birth; a malfunctioning saliva gland. As a result she had a bulging sack full of saliva under her neck. It was never a problem at all. A few months ago it became very hard, like a rock. We took her to the vet and they took out the gland, which had swollen to a large size. They weren't sure if it was cancerous or not, but the vet said that if it was a cancerous tumor, then she likely had less than a year.

Perhaps thats what it was; or maybe its just old age. A week ago she was doing great, running around all over the place.

Still doesn't seem real that she might die...it's one of those pets that seems like they're always there, you know? I'm hoping she'll pull out of it, but she's so old that it seems unlikely. :(

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

To the OP, I think I have to stop reading this thread. Everytime I read one of your posts my eyes start watering. I'm sorry for getting all emotional... but it really is painful to see a pet, a close friend in distress especially if the odds don't seem great.

I wish you and your dog the best-- both for her's and your happiness but also well-being, whatever is best for her is really important right now. :(

9. zach macrumors 65816

zach

that's very sad. i know the pain of losing pets, we owned two dogs that died within weeks of each other after having 14 year lives each.

but just remeber, in dog time, your dog lived a long and fruitful 112 year life, so it's simply the process of aging.

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Man, I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. She has been a great friend though I would bet. We lost a cat that we had had for 14 years about two years ago, and it is still hard. Take her to the vet, and let him check her out.

The sad thing for us is the month after Nick died on Fathers day, my cat Bud (Budwiser) got very ill, and I had to put him down. It was so gentle, and peaceful that it made it easier for me to deal with.

My prayers are with you.
    B2TM

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'm so sorry :(. I am a dog lover and I know the pain of seeing a good pet fade away. My family's dog, Rosie, died a year ago at 16 years.

scem0

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Having gone through that with my sister's Reba recently - our hearts go out to you. We are here for you both....

13. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I really feel for you. I just put my dog down a couple of weeks ago. She was a little over 13 years old. I don't feel bad about my decision, though. She was having seizures, and had lost the use of her back legs. That Monday she was (relatively) healthy, and by Friday we had to put her down. It was really tough to do, but she was only going to get worse.

14. joetronic macrumors 6502

I truley feel for you. As I have mentioned before, my wife runs a shelter for aboused and unwanted dogs. We have seen our share of sickness, and It would be a really good idea to take her to the vet. Dependign on whats wrong, they may be able to make the last few days very comftorable.

I hope all works out. BTW, what breed is she?

15. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

I know it will be painfull, but later you will remember her with a smile, like I do remember our dachs from my youth, all the fun we had! :eek:

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

I lost my dog a few years back to cancer - it happened so fast, and sounds something like what your dog is going through; but don't take that as a diagnosis, just an observation. We tried treating her, but to no avail.

The worst part was, my wife was having health issues at the same time as Bailey - I came home from visiting my wife at the hospital following her surgery to find Bailey in a bad state. We decided we had to put her down, so I drove her to the hospital so my wife could say goodbye to her. Bailey died in my arms while I carried her into the vet clinic. :(

God, that hurt just to type.

My reason for telling the story is to say that it is better to put the dog down if she is truly sick and unhappy - they don't want to live like that any more than you would. It sounds like she's led a wonderful life, and would thank you for letting her go. Have her checked first by a vet, but don't make her suffer in her last days, if that is the case.

My thoughts are with you.

17. toothpaste macrumors 6502

16 years old is old for a dog. Do not make your dog suffer for nothing, take the dog to the vet and see if its something they can remedy or you have to let your dog go.

It was the hardest thing for me to let my first dog go, but I was only suffering mentally, while my dog suffered physically. So it was only the right thing to do to relieve his pain and let him go. But it might not be as bad yet, go to the vet.

18. emw macrumors G4

emw

Thought this might be appropriate...

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'd go see the vet too, just to find out. You don't want your dog to suffer unnecessarily, and conversly you don't want to be worried that it's something terminal if it's not.

It sucks to lose a pet, but it's part of the deal when you get one. Be there for your pet like they would for you. Good luck.

20. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The worst day of my life was when I had to drive from Charlotte to Raleigh in the middle of the day because my Mom called and told me that our Golden Retriever, Hero, couldn't stand up and wouldn't eat or drink. He was 13 years old and had had a tumor once before, and my Mom, my sister and I drove him to the vet. It was obvious that it was his time to go, and we all stayed in the exam room while the vet put him to sleep. Losing my dog was almost as bad as losing my brother would be (which I hope never happens).

My feelings go out to you, Praxis.

21. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Time with a pet wouldn't be such a gift if they lived forever, unfortunately. I have a particularly hard time saying "no" to special-needs animals, so I've lost my share over the last few years. If this is her time I hope it's peaceful. Not to sound like a broken record, but you should consider the vet or a dog ER, if it's something like kidney failure, suffering should certainly be monitored and medicated.

my heart goes out to you :(

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm very sorry to hear about your ill 16 year old dog. What breed of dog and what is the dogs name GFLPraxis? There is no way to really know how much a dog is suffering. She sounds as though her quality of life is very poor. It would be a kindness to her to not allow any suffering. Agree that it is never easy to loose a dog, that are like family. Just hate to see any suffering, with a dog it is allowable to end the suffering. Also allows you time to say goodbye. The vet would also be able to give you a second opinion. Good luck with your decision. :(

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Brought tears to my eyes since I had to place my Chewey with another family recently, as some of you already know. I know deep down Chewey knows that I did it out of pure love for him.

24. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

She seems to have made an improvement today; I got up in the morning and she was gone (she had fallen asleep on the back porch, where she was too dizzy to move from, last night). I looked around for her (backyard is an acre) and she was looking very alert, in a hole she dug a long time ago under a tree, her favorite spot for shade. She had to go down quite a lot of steps and walk a notable distance to get there, so she must be feeling considerably better after yesterday when she was too dizzy to go anywhere. So I don't think she's suffering.

My father is helping watch her, he's had to put down his dogs in the past that were suffering; he's watching her and doesn't think she's suffering either.

I appreciate all the support, guys, thanks. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Her name is Susy, and she's a mix, part sheep dog.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I had a scare a couple months ago when our dog couldn't get up on his own from his bed (he sleeps at the foot of our bed). I got up in the morning like usual, but he didn't follow my into the shower. Now that's not terribly unusual, sometimes he just sleeps on his bed until I'm done, but when I left the room and he didn't follow I got a little worried. I went back to check on him, and he was trying to stand but couldn't. I had to help him to his feet, and then he'd only go about 5 feet before he'd stop and lay down again. You could tell it hurt him to stand or move.

At that point I got really worried, and took him to the vet right away. The vet looked him over, but couldn't find anything wrong with him. I'm guessing he either sprained something, or slept weird so that his hindquarters were asleep when he tried to get up.

He was pretty much normal the next day, thankfully. Scared the crap out of me though.

Hope Susy keeps getting better.