My doggy is sick.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by imacintel, Jun 29, 2006.

1. imacintel macrumors 68000

Hi all.

My little Charlotte, a miniature schnauszer, is sick.:(

She is barfing every hour or so. Don't buy pedigree. Their ads lie. Their food is wayy too rich for many dogs.

She has to stick to a bland diet of canned foods from the vet and we have to sneak antacid into it. We wait 5 days, if it fixes it we switch to some better food. There is a kind called Nutrience brand, switch to it if possible. It is much healthier and wayy less rich.

:(

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Did the vet itself said the food was too rich?

I feed my min. schnauzer Solid Gold, it is all natural and fully balanced. I think it might be the best dog food in the world. Both my dogs, Sebastian the Miniature Schnauzer and Henson the Soft-coated Wheaten, are very healthy and active.

3. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

My folks have a 16 year old MS as well.
    She just eats rice and boiled chicken. keeps her skin in good shape as well

Good luck!

4. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, the vet said it is too rich.

I will look for that when I go shopping.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I used to feed my dog Iams, and thought it was great.

Then I tried California Natural. I was amazed at the volume difference between the two. The bags were both 40lbs, but the Iams was much bulkier because they used so much more filler products. After talking to my vet and the owner of the feed supply place where I get my dog food, I've switched to California Natural and have found that it is a far superior dog food even compared to the supposedly premium Iams brand.

The dog like it a whole lot too. His favorite part is when I pour the new bag into the airtight container we store his food in. It's the one time he's allowed to "drink" from the kibble stream, and he goes absolutely nuts with happiness when it's time for a new bag o' kibble. :D

6. iGary Guest

iGary

What kind of dog do you have?

7. medea macrumors 68030

medea

It's a good thing you switched, purchasing IAMS dog food is supporting animal testing and cruelty to animals.

8. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

Medea, could you suggest an alternative to animal testing? People testing? Would you rather a rat die or the Dali Lama die? Sure, you could have people testing, in fact, why don't you try out for some? Oh, NO???

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

He's a mutt. I'm not sure actually. Best guess is that he's part black lab and part border collie.

We got him from the Humane Society, he'd been abandoned, and was found in a dry riverbed covered with mites and ticks. He's super shy, they had to trap him, and he's still nervous around new people, but is fanatically loyal to us and really sweet. It takes about 5 minutes for him to get comfortable with you, then he gets mad when you leave him. :D

10. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Wow, what a moronic post. Animal testing has been proven to be unnecessary in all forms be it medical, education, etcetera. There are plenty of alternatives for research and there is such a thing as "people testing." People get paid all the time to test **** like medicines on them, it is their choice and they are compensated for doing so.

• An embryonic stem cell test, using mouse-derived cells to assess potential toxicity to developing embryos, has been validated as a partial replacement for birth-defect testing in rats and rabbits.(6)
    • The 3T3 Neutral Red Uptake Phototoxicity Test, which uses cells grown in culture to assess the potential for sunlight-induced (“photo”) irritation to the skin.
    • Human skin model tests such as the validated EpiDerm™ test, which has been accepted almost universally as a total replacement for skin corrosion studies in rabbits.(7)
    • The use of human skin leftover from surgical procedures or donated cadavers can be used to measure the rate at which a chemical is able to penetrate the skin.
    • The use of a clinical patch test in human volunteers, which can confirm that a chemical will not cause irritation or allergic skin reactions.

11. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Please, lets not fight.:(

I am trying to change some of the fighting habits people have at MR. not mentioning names...

12. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I was merely stating the fact that IAMS is cruel to the animals in their tests. And if you care about your dog why would you feed it food from a company thats mistreats dogs?

I hope your schnauzer gets better soon. Post some pics.

13. Queso macrumors G4

Allow Charlotte to sulk and sleep for a while. For the next three days, give her easy to digest food. Chicken and Boiled Rice is perfect and normally what the vets recommend. Then start mixing her ordinary food into the rice and chicken for a couple of days after that, gradually building back to her normal diet.

Mini Schnauzers have sensitive stomachs. Just part of owning the breed.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Hope your pup is doing well. I have had great luck with my dog and cat with the Science Diet foods.

15. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Well If you are feeding your dog (or cat for that matter) any food you can get at a supermarket then you are feeding them crap. if dog food has ground yellow corn in the top three ingredients listed its crap, if it had animal meal, meat by product etc. its crap, some places they use road kill, euthanized pets and feedlot dead animals.
    Good brands are : California Naturals - seems expensive till you realize they eat less and look/smell better
    NutroMax
    Innova
    Royal Canin just to name a few

I do hope your dog gets better soon !

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My dogs used to get Iams and Science Diet, I think. Now I'm not sure, but I'm sure it's partly filler. The thing is that my dogs like Iams and think it's good. :eek: They looked absolutely disappointed when I switched the brand on them once. They both smelled the food, lowered their heads towards the floor, glanced up at me with this....this face...... and ate a bit before slowly walking back to their favourite napping places. :(

17. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Thnaks all. But she is now better! She puked up a quarter!!...but not for long. She puked twice last night :(

18. emw macrumors G4

emw

Hope your dog gets better soon - it's always difficult, especially since they can't tell you what's wrong.

We use Nutro Natural Choice. For while we were using Beowulf's Back to Basics all natural dog food, which was good, but got to be too expensive because you had to order it and have it shipped.

Nutro is good stuff, I think, and our one dog tolerates it very well, where she had problems with some of the other options.

19. medea macrumors 68030

medea

The weird thing is she only ate a nickel! You have a gold mine in that there doggie!

It might take a while for her stomach to calm down. Just make sure she doesn't get dehydrated.