My dog's slowly dying

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Shes on her last legs now I think. We got her back in 1997/ish from a rescue centre (Manchester Dogs Home). She was supposed to be 5 or 6, according to the vet. My dad didn't want her at first. Legend has it she was in a pen full of other dogs and she came up to greet my parents in the huge scramble. My dad said no to her and she apparently sulked away to the corner and sat down looking back. My mum started crying so they picked her :)

It's so bad now. She's got Cushings disease, the brain tumour is being held back with £3 a day tablets ($6). But they make her claws go so fast they need cutting once a month else she can't walk properly. Her kidneys packed in so she's on a special diet. Has a heart murmor too. Ontop of that she's having a giant cist being removed off her back tomorrow. It's pretty big, but oddly squishy, like a stress ball even!

She's cracking up a bit too. Starts barking for no reason, tried to walk into the house through the windows at the sides of the front door a few times.

Anyways. She's a poodle/bedlington terrier cross. Truly a strange looking dog! Looks sorta like a labradoodle. Actually... my 13 year old sister made a movie of her once, she even wanted to use my iMac for editing :D !

I dunno. What am I saying? I'll be sad to see her go. She's seen me through secondary school, college and now university. She's such an important part of this house, my teenhood and even family. :eek:
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
  3. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Oh, and she snores like a freakin elephant. My bedroom is above her basket room. I can hear her now :eek: .
    She was sleeping behind the sofa before, she sleeps really heavily so I snook up on her and watched her sleeping for a bit. heh, must have been having a dream, her legs kept twiching and she made the cutest noises :)
    I suppose we'll find out after her operation tomorrow how well she really is.

hah, and 2 years ago now me and Caroline took her for a planned short half a mile walk... which turned out to be an 18 mile hike to the top of the moors and back! She was doing better than us! Running around the tops, climbing up ledges n stuff! got back like half a day later. Good days :)
  4. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004
    She has had a few good years with you guys, being part of the family and being there when you grew up.

Well as long as she is enjoying life and not suffering keep going, but when she no longer enjoys day to day activities it may be time to help her over the rainbow bridge.

I am always sad when pets die but I try to think of how much they enjoyed being alive and with me and how much joy and life they brought to me.

It is sad but you guys obviuosly care about her and try to make the best for her.
  5. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    It is never a good thing to watch, My dog was not doing so well and you could see him slide fast his last few days. There comes a point when we keep our pets alive just to make us feel better then what is best for the animal. Putting my dog to sleep was the hardest thing I ever had to do and I still feel the pain today. But you have to know that when they get to a certain age and you start to see them suffer that there comes a point when it is time.:(
  6. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
  7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    I still remember the last 12 hours of my first dogs life. He was an Alsation, had cancer and died at a ripe age of 15. I was only 11 or so. My parents were in the living room talking about something, I was in the kitchen. My dad told me they were going to put him down. I didn't react then but I saw my mum crying and then I just couldn't stop crying for hours. That night I just sat beside him stroking him, morning came and we fed him his favourite snack for breakfast... Chocolate Digestives :eek:
    Huge, powerful incredible beast. I remember watching my dads car drive down the road with him in the back. Last time I saw him.
    Even my dad broke into tears when they actually injected him and he died in his arms. He's never been the emotional sort.

*now I'm crying*.
  8. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    it sounds like you have made it's life as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. Be proud of yourself that you made a living being's life much better :)

I wish you all the best.
  9. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2006
    It's always so sad to lose a pet. My brother just had to put down his best hunting dog after she contracted bone cancer. He's taking his mind off the loss by looking for another dog, deciding on a name and planning a training routine.
  10. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

Nov 28, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    That is very sad to hear. I hope you get through this smoothly and without too much pain.
  11. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    My first dog lived to be 8 and died of cancer. I thought I took it hard then but as a child I think i rebounded better. My second dog lived 15 years and having him for most of my life it was harder to let go. Pets become family and it is just as painful when one dies. He lived a full life and was active almost to the end. he died in november on Election Day. I guess I am not over it yet as I am getting emotional as I type this.
  12. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Quite sorry to hear about your dog raggedjimmi. :( :(
  13. hana macrumors regular

May 23, 2003
    Los Angeles
    sorry to hear about that ragged jimmi.

It's been almost a year since my 14 year old dog passed on. She passed under her favorite tree... we petted her, gave her a little water, and told her that it was okay for her to let go.

I still expect to feel that cold nose next to my leg to get my attention... and it's hard not to make cookies without "accidently" dropping bits on the floor for someone to pick up.
  14. siurpeeman macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    i'm sorry to hear about your dog. treasure the memories and celebrate the time you shared and still have left.
  15. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Sep 15, 2006
    Stuck beween a rock and a hard place
    Sorry to hear about your dog. My dog is in about as bad of a shape. He recently suffered a slipped disk in his back, and he has been crawling around since. Today he wouldn't even get up to come and see me. I'm truly depressed about it, but for the age he is it's his time. A rotweiler typically lives about 8 years (yes, shorter than smaller dogs), and he is now 11. I'm sad, but I understand that it's the natural order of things. I simply don't think I would ever have the heart to tap out on him.

Attached Files:

16. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    Okay, this thread is making me so close to crying.

I feel sorry for all of you who have had their pets taken away, natural or unnatural.

It makes me feel how lucky I am to have my mutt from '98 still with me. With some of the cold nights, I'm concerned for her outside, but whenever I go outside the next evening and see her jumping to be let out, it makes me happy.

My dad actually found her when him and one of his friends were doing some work in the woods. He said they approached them, her and a white one which the other friend, and passed away, and he took her home. I remember him calling home that day and saying, I have a surprise for you. My sister and I didn't have a clue what to think. This came as a complete surprise.

The only thing serious that my dog has had was a broken paw. She made that happen because she was trying to get a drink of water from a bird bath. God, I still remember that day and how much worse it could have turned out. I still remember that day.

I was mowing grass in the back and I happened to have it off long enough to hear something fall, my parents running and yelling "Corky!!! Corky!!!" and hearing her whimper. That's one sound I NEVER want to her ever again in my life. She started to go to her pen, limping, but the pain was just to bad for her so I carried her. (Okay, I'm crying now)

When the splint came off six weeks later, she had her elbow rough because it was rubbing against her. To this day, she still has no fur there and it's still pale white.

I'm glad that's over with and she is still as spunky as ever. I'm very thankful.

Attached Files:

17. me_94501 macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2003
    :( I'm sorry to hear that.

In July 2005 we had to put down our cocker spaniel at the age of 13. She had an aggressive form of cancer that she was diagnosed with in 2001. The vet gave her six months to live; she lived 4 years, and it wasn't even the cancer that brought her down but kidney failure.
  18. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

May 14, 2003
    My sisters dog had Cushing I think. Doesnt that make them incredibly thristy all the time? I felt bad when she told me that they had to limit the dogs water intake because she (the dog) would constantly drink. My sister told me the dog would lick an empty bowl like there was water in it. Sad way to have to live out the last few weeks of the dogs life. Dog eventually passed.

The last dog I really had an emotional attachment to was the one we had when I was growing up. We got a daschound when I was 5 or 6 and by the time I was 16 he had to be put down. I cried like a little girl. But oddly, that was the last animal Ive ever had that I had that kind of attachment to. Ive seen dogs come and go since then and never felt that way about another one.

Sorry to hear about yours.
  19. lamina macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2006
    From Canada, living in Seoul
    K so you made me cry. Thanks.

All in all though, it sounds like it's for the best.

I'm sure nothing will be the same, but just think back on all the great times you had.

My thuroughbred miniature schnauzer Mackenzie is 1.5 years old. If anything ever happened to him I'd be devastated. I can't even imagine how you feel right now.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Attached Files:

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I think it's smart. Now imagine if we did this with old relatives as well. I think it would be better.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your dog. My dog is probably in a similar condition. I haven't seen her in years. My dog died last December 17-18th 2005, or around 13 months ago. I didn't cry because I hadn't seen her for 2 years, so it was a bit easier for me because of it. However, when my cat died suddenly, I cried for quite a long time.

Anyway, my dogs are great, and with one of them down already, I'll hate to see the other go. Next time I go home, I don't expect ANY dog to welcome me home like they used to. :(
  21. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    Awww, very sorry to hear that raggedjimmi. :(

Hope you feel better soon.
  22. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    I'm sorry to hear that... Just remember that all dogs go to heaven :)

My best friend's pekinese passed away about a month ago. She was 18-19 years old! It was really sad because it happened the day after my friend and his mom left for Christmas vacation. I was going to take care of her, but they decided to let a friend of the family take care of her and the next day she was gone :(
  23. MultiM macrumors 6502

May 9, 2006
    TO. I've moved!
    I'm sorry for your loss, raggedjimmi. She will be in a better place and will have lived a great life because of you and your family. Be proud.
  24. quagmire macrumors 603

Apr 19, 2004
    We had 2 greyhounds. We got one of them from a friend who was moving and didn't have the land for her to run around. Then a couple years later we got another one who was abused. The owner would leave the poor dog outside during storms when she was away. She had kidney disease. Vet only gave her a year to live. But, some how she lived for 3 years more. Every time we had a thunderstorm she would whimper and shake in fear. The other greyhound was very smart and the abused one was very stupid. It was funny though. The smart one would go through fences and the stupid one would follow through. Then the smart one abandoned the stupid one so when the stupid one wanted to go through the fence she just stood there practically saying that she couldn't. We had to coax her to go through it which she always did.

Then the time came to put her down as she was getting worse. My other greyhound was yelping in pain too so we brought her to the vet as well. My mom and I both swear out vet was evil and didn't really care. What happened is the yelping dog had a twisted stomach. She was like 15 so the vet said she was too old to try surgery. So we had to put her down too. The way she did it seemed so inhuman. She just stabbed the needle into there artery's and blood of course gushed out. Then one was still fighting and didn't go yet and she stabbed another dose into another artery. Then finally she went. We wanted to sue for malpractice, but we had no evidence besides our word. It has been like 3 years since we put my greyhounds down on the same day. Haven't gotten a replacement yet. Mainly, my dad was the reason. He wasn't a dog person since he didn't have pets as he grew up. So it is taking 3 years to try to convince him to get another dog.
  25. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    I was at primary school when our family's Yorkshire Terrier was put down. I wore its collar to school the next day.

Sorry about your situation, raggedjimmi.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.