My Doom2/3 reunioin

Discussion in 'Games' started by Lord Blackadder, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Back in the day I used to play Doom 2 on my Quadra 610. It was a bit choppy unless I played it at the smaller screen size setting (this on an Apple 14" CRT with 640x480 max res to start with :( ). Even then it wasn't super smooth. But Fun! :)

So yesterday I downloaded the Doom3 Demo for the hell of it. My G4 (see sig) is below the min specs and has a 133MHz bus speed to boot, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyhow.

At 640x480 and Low Quality it looked fairly uninteresting, but the framerates stayed mostly in the 20's, maxing in the low thirties and dipping into the teens occasionally. The soundtrack is great, and at 2am it made me jump a couple times! :p ;)

In fact it ran about as well as Doom 2 did on my Quadra...which is good enough for me, though I won't buy it since I'm sort of getting out of gaming somewhat.

Just though I'd share for the curious.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I really liked Doom 3 too (oh b00 hissoxxors) just because it was near identical to the original Doom games. which is not a bad thing. it had the same atmosphere for me. like your in a station that is slowly descending into hell. with the obvious big jump to hell too. they didn't add any new gameplay elements or anything. that was brilliant of them. save all the physics engines and vehicles and other nonsense for other games i say.

you're gonna love the full game :) theres a cutscene quite far in which really got me. the bit about the imps eyes looking at the robot when it was in the teleporter... and the delay too << hidden in white there because its probably a spoiler.

the only thing it didn't have was a mass army of hell spawn. but when the bad guys are much more dynamic you kinda dont need swarms i find.

and y'know. funny thing is but i really dont like heavy metal yet i totally love the Doom 3 theme. just because it reminds me of my virtual journey into hell last summer.

infact im gonna reinstall this on my PC :D damn you!

3. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Doom 3 is scary for me because of the sound effects, darkness and the more natural movements of the monsters. Pretty good, and I can only imagine how scary it must be at 1600x1200, high detail and true surround sound! :eek:

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

oh the sound! the sound is awesome. like things hissing in the background and stuff. man. 3am, speakers on full, 1024x768 ultra quality, good ol' fashioned 17" CRT monitor... brilliantly scary :D i only have 2.1 speakers. but still they're damn good enough to give me the frights.

all last summer i was on the big PC blowing the hell out of hell and my girlfriend was on the weaker computer just checking her messages an all that. and every 30 seconds it was like "WHOA CAZ LOOK!" or "oh CRAP ITS AFTER ME!"... she was so shocked/sickened even at the part where the womans head becomes a Lost Soul. and later you find out about those babies <hidden again :) sorry about that Lord Blackadder (i was only going off your avatar! thought it might be funny but meh its your name too :) )

5. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Doom 3 rocked.

I cant wait to play thru it again on my new CPU when I get it next week. :D

6. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

LMAO i don't play on Apple because i don't think it will play but i play on desktop with either my Bose headphones, or 5.1 Surround sound system late at night and all i have to say is ooooooo ****..

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Doom 3 is a great game- makes you jump out of your seat on occasion though (but thats half the fun of it).

8. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

i ran that bad boy at 1920 x 1200 with all settings up as high as my system could go and i played at night with my head phones jacked up.

it was creepy :)

9. carpe diem macrumors 6502

10. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

yeah i love Doom3, my fave game for a long time. I've got a G5 so it plays great so i've no complaints of the framerate. Very nice here @ 1280x1024 shame i've no surround sound setup, but stereo will do.. :rolleyes:

11. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

DOOM3, scary? Are you sure you guys were playing the right game? Not only did I not find it scary, but it had me laughing at times due to the bad/corny writing.

You guys need to try some truely frightening games, such as System Shock 2.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

hey or maybe its our opinion? nothings wrong with you if you find Doom 3 scary. Doom 1 is still scary (ie. running from a Cyber Demon) for me.

13. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I can't play too far into Doom 3, the other day I fired it up for some fun.. Walked around for about 2 min without finding anything to shoot, and BAM a console blows up and I'm apple+q'ing her. That game is crazy scary.

14. RobHague macrumors 6502

It's all about making you feel 'relaxed' for a moment and then WHAM! Something attacks you. :D And the 'it sneeks up behind you'.. good game. I really like the lighting.

The guns don't feel 'gun like' though :confused:, i played the demo and firing something like the machine gun feels puny. The guns were satisfying (mainly the shotgun ;)) in Doom1/2.

Is doom1/2 out there as freeware now? I wouldnt mind grabing a mac version and having a play around ;).

15. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

perhaps u need a mod like Mind Killer for when you're playing d3?
    Though you should deffinetly check out Doom Chronicles - a total conversion - i think you'll love this! :D

16. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Doom 3.....awesome....runs great on the PC in my siggy and also looks great on my Xbox. If you have a Xbox or a good PC, get Doom 3. I got the collectors edition of my Xbox and it is so much fun to go back and play the entire Doom series in a row!

17. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Doom 3...

Made my life about 5 years shorter....

I played this on my gaming rig:

P4 3.6 GHz
    1.5 GB RAM
    ATi X800 XT
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2
    Logitech Z-680 speakers (Dolby 5.1)
    1600 x 1200 Ultra Quality on my 20" TFT

You can't play this game normally. Every level you enter, you end up smashing the < F5 > (quicksave) key, scared of getting slaughtered once you hear a hiss somehwere behind you.... :eek:

Okay.. you get used to the sudden darkness, and you pretty much start to be hell yourself for those demons.. but still.
    Some levels are absolutely brilliant: Hell... for instance. You really feel cooked in that level. I bet ya, if anyone could give the best impression of Hell...... and, ofcourse the last couple of levels where that "cube" is explained...

In short:
    I have never had so many scares in a game as this one. The gameplay can get predictable at times. But the awesome graphics and "feel" of the game is so unique....

*** watch out!... he's behind you!! ***

18. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Just a quick update:

I played through the demo again today at 800x600. There was almost no change in performance on my underpowered system, but the game looked way better.

So for those with upgraded G4s: Doom 3 is surprisingly possible if you are a casual to semi-serious gamer. If I had a 128/256MB video card (9600/9700/9800) and maxed my RAM at 1.5GB I could probably turn the detail up a notch and still get decent framerates @ 800x600.

Those people with a 2.0GHz Powerlogix upgrade would probably see even better performance (My 1.4GHz has L3 cache so it is usually about as fast as the cache-less 1.8GHz).

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

The constant thought in the back of my head as I am creeping in the dark hallways..... :eek:

20. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I can see why people complained about gameplay - it doesn't seem like a game with much replay value.

But as a technology demonstration of a fantastic new 3D engine and a purveyor of fright it succeeds in spades!