My dual 2ghz is DOA :(

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Macette, Sep 27, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502

That's right - yesterday I dropped close to 10,000 Australian dollars on a dual 2ghz with 1GB of RAM, an Airport Extreme card and a 23" Apple Display... get it home, switch it on, NOTHING.

Well, not nothing.

The startup chime sounded, along with a whirring fan-starting noise (like a car revving its engine - can someone with a dual comment on whether theirs sounds like this as well???). It also made a faint clicking noise (other people have commented on this, but not in conjunction with it not working), and also I could hear a noise a bit like a dot-matrix printer.. hard to describe really.

But the screen never showed anything.

So I shut it down, tried again.

Same nothing (with noises).

Thought it might be the screen, so I plugged it into my old screen using DVI-VGA adaptor - but still nothing.

Then I got the bright idea of removing airport card and RAM - and then IT WORKED!

I thought I'd just got bad RAM, so I shut it down, replaced the Airport card (but not the RAM), and spent the rest of the day happily transferring stuff from my old computer, setting up icons and desktops, enjoying the HUGE difference between it and my old G3. It really is a beautiful machine, even with only 512 MB RAM. It just flies. I was up until 2am playing with it and making friends.

Then this morning I got up, ready to have more fun with it, and it DID THE SAME THING.

I'm now very sad, because I know there aren't many in Australia and it could be weeks before I get another one...

Anybody got any tips about what I could try before I take it back? It's going to be a few days before I can, so i'd love to be able to get it going a bit at least.

2. macrumors 68040

mac15

Once it boots, don't shut it down. Put it on sleep or just leave it running like I do

3. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

But that really doesn't solve the problem.

I'd keep it around for a little while, and if it still persists, I'd return it-although it would be very hard to re pack it. :(

Good luck.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

I was on my way back to make an edit, actually -

this morning it DID turn on first go, but then I left it for a while when I got breakfast, and it was when I came back and woke it from sleep that it went weird - the whole screen filled with a weird pinky digital pattern, and then I had to shut it down.

It's something to do with my graphics card, isn't it.

5. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Open the g5 and press the cuda button, this might help

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

what and where is the cuda button?

7. macrumors 65816

yoda13

I had the same problem with my iBook not so long ago. (Not that an iBook is anything like a G5:D) It had to go back to Apple and it turned out to be a bad logic board. I had very similar symptoms on the iBook. thought that this might help.

Good luck

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks man - i think i'm just going to turn it off, pack it up, and cry.

9. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yeah... I'd say return it. You paid a lot of money and deserve better than having to try to mess around in an effort to make this work. Fresh out of the box, it should work. Period.

10. macrumors 6502

i know its slightly unrelated but yes, to all, when i first turn mine on the fans rev up to High and go back down to low within a few seconds...then the chime sounds. its cool!

11. macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Sounds like the video card to me. You might consider having it fixed under warranty instead of returning it, might get a quicker turn around.

12. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Here's a rough pic of teh location of the cuda button( sorry for the horrible quality)

Attached Files:

13. macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

One last thought ...

Make sure the graphics card and RAM sticks all seated nice and snug. Sometimes they can come loose during shipping.

14. macrumors 68040

mac15

But its a small work around until he can get his fixed

15. macrumors 6502

If it doesnt start working real soon I would return it as DOA. Better to have a fresh computer than spend that much and have long term problems.

Congrats on getting 2ghz I doubt their are more than 100 or so in Australia right now.

<--- Still waiting for pbook+1.6 but I ordered after Pbook release.

16. macrumors 68040

mac15

There's gotta be about a 100 G5s and 500 iPods. We have such a shortage its not funny

17. thread starter macrumors 6502

according to my reseller, i was Number 1 order in the country - i haven't heard about any other people who have them yet, except maybe a couple of education orders.

so i was feeling pretty special until it died.

i'm not worried about it really - i know the DOA policy means that they'll give me a new one and it'll be sweet - but I reckon i'll be waiting another few weeks now, since supply is so low, and that makes me sad. My G3 is so close to packing it in, it's really struggling, and I'm kinda scared it won't last.

I also am angry that i'll have to copy that 80 gig of stuff over again. Man that took a long time.

18. macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

My eMac was stuffing around when I first got it. It was the RAM. Does Apple still ship with those hardware test cd's? Give one of them a go. They work nicely.

19. macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: One last thought ...

I agree totally. With your video problems I would bet this is the issue. When you opened it to play with the RAM and Airport card you probably shook things enough that the card made a partial connection but it came loose again.

20. thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I thought this could have been it as well, and I really pressed everything into place hard - but still no luck.

I don't want to be too rough with it though, because then my luck would be that Apple would say i'd voided my warranty or something...

It's so frustrating. But I just want their guys to check it out, make sure it's working absolutely perfectly, and then send it back to me. That's what I spent $400 on AppleCare for...

21. macrumors 604

MacBandit

Have you tried using the hardware test CD?

22. thread starter macrumors 6502

the problem is that i don't get anything on the screen - so I wouldn't be able to make a diagnosis with a cd anyway.

EDIT: I just checked, and there's no Hardware Test CD anyway - maybe G5s don't ship with them?

23. macrumors 6502a

aethier

Why don't you use firewire target disk mode? (hold down "T" on the target computer, on start up) it will make it go much faster then tranfering via airport. and if the g3 doesn't have firewire, then doing a direct ethernet connection will still be much faster then airport.

aethier

24. macrumors G3

Could it be as simple as a flaky airport card? Can you try running without the card and see if that fixes the issue?

Getting a new airport card should be much faster than waiting for a new system.

25. macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations on your decision to purchase a dual G5. I'm very sorry to hear about the problems that you are having Macette! :(

I know that for me personally, I would call Apple's 800 help number. Imagine that they would suggest returning the G5. At least that is what I would want!