My Ethernet went away

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Veldek, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I'm really frustrated. My brother gave me his old PC, so I wanted to network it with my Mac. I started yesterday and couldn't get it to work, went to sleep and wanted to try it again after getting home from work. Now, when I open the Network pref panel, there's no Ethernet option anymore. I'm pretty sure it's been there yesterday. I typed "ipconfig getifaddr en0" into Terminal yesterday to get my IP address. But when I do this today, I only get "get if addr en0 failed, (os/kern) failure". I have a feeling something went horribly wrong. Could anyone explain to me, what I can do?

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

You should write ifconfig instead of ipconfig.
    don't know about the disappearing problem though. Sure about it? Hope you are not overlooking that there is a drop down menu in systemprefs-sharing-show.

3. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

Should be ipconfig. I got that from the Mac-PC networking sticky from edesignuk. It worked yesterday, but not today.

And you're right. In SysPrefs-Network-Show, Ethernet is still there, but it's not in the status window anymore, as it's been yesterday. That's what disturbs me. And when I select Ethernet from the Show menu, there's no IP address anymore, though there was one yesterday.

What I forgot to mention and what could be useful information is, that when I wanted to wake the PC from sleep today, it didn't work, so I had to hard reset it.

Edit: I found out that the Ethernet port on my Mac is all right. It seems the Ethernet port on the PC is (now) broken.

4. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

Ok, I don't know why, but after a dozen (no joke or exaggeration) restarts, Ethernet is finally recognized again and I can share files, just like edesignuk wrote. But Internet Sharing still doesn't work. I checked the Sharing prefs more than twice but I can't figure out what I'm missing.

5. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

When sharing, make sure you not only select a connection to share from, but to share to. And make sure you select the right one to share to.

6. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

I selected to share my Airport connection with computers connected over Ethernet, which is what I want to do. Am I missing something?

7. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

That should work, if not, then I don't know what you can do.

8. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek