My excitement was short lived

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Zeke D, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Zeke D, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I was able to trade a dude in my town some tech support for an airport extreme and bluetooth with antennas. I swapped out the wired keyboard for the apple wireless keyboard. I still have the mouse hooked up via usb, but eventually i will come across someone who is willing to trade me a wireless apple mouse.

Attached Files:

2. Zeke D, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

Zeke D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

When I installed the BT module the first time, the modem cable was brushing against the fan. I went to remove the modem and BT, and the damn connector to the BT separated from the BT module! I was so excited to have BT, now I am sad again.

Attached Files:

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I still haven't installed my BT model because I'm afraid to rip something else out of the motherboard. Sorry to hear about the connector. These things are very fragile.

4. Zeke D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Yeah it totally sucks too. A friendly MR poster was going to trade me for his apple wireless mouse. I suppose I will still do the trade, and just keep my eye out for another BT module. The last one only took 9 months to procure, so by the summer of 2013 I should have another one :(

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Bluetooth modules are very easy to find. Non-late 2005 G5's take the same Bluetooth board as the eMac, G4/G5 iMac, 2006-early 2009 iMac, and the 2006-2008/9 Mac Pro. The Intell Macs will give your PowerPC Mac Bluetooth 2.X/+EDR. The boards for the Intell Macs can be found on eBay for about $10.

6. Zeke D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

yeah I saw that, it was the antenna that was the pricey item.

7. Zeke D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

is the A1115 module what you are referring to?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, the blue ones are Bluetooth 2.X and the green are the older PowerPC 1.X ones. The antenna connector is in a different location, but the Mac's internal antenna can reach it without a problem.

9. Zeke D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

This may be an elementary question, but what are the advantages from BT1.x to BT2.x? Its a shame I can't take the BT module from my iBook.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Faster data rate, slightly better range, more simultaneous devices, compatibility with Bluetooth 2.X only devices, lower power usage. Main big one is faster data rate, if you get a +EDR one, it'll be even faster. The EDR stands for Enhanced Data Rate.

11. Zeke D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I looked on fleabay and didn't see any for less than $20 after shipping. I will just keep an eye out. It just pisses me off the BT connector separated from the logic board.