My Exciting Weekend

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Feb 19, 2005.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I have had the craziest weekend I have had in a long time. This will be a long story, i will start from the beginning. Here it goes:

I am in a program called "Youth & Government". It is for people <18, and was made to help teach the way the government works and stuff like that. So, once a year, Y & G (which is part of the YMCA) goes to Sacramento, and takes over the government. We (the kids) run the senate/assembly floors, governors office (Schwarznegger wasnt there), etc. There are around 2000 kids.

So, we arrive Thursday afternoon (after a 10 hour bus drive), and get in to formal dress to start the day. We do our stuff, and then around 5:00 we get our hotel rooms. So, me and my buddies go to our room. Weird thing, our room smells like smoke (cigarette smoke). All the rooms on the floor ended up smelling like that.

So everything is going good, Friday is going great. This girl who was 2 rooms down asked me to come over after dinner to watch a movie. So i told my buddy to come also, and we went. Mind you, there were 5 girls staying in the room that we were going to.

We arrive in the room, and hey, it smells like cigarette smoke. No big deal, the whole floor smells like that. Me and my buddy were in there for no more than 15 minutes before an Advisor comes into the room and says "Hey guys, your room smells like smoke, really bad". We said we knew, and it had been that way since the first day. This lady made a big deal about it and called our head guy over, along with the guys that run the whole program.

They called us out 1 by 1 and asked us who had been smoking. Me and my friend had no idea, since we got there 15 minutes before the Advisor noticed it. So, they brought us all (5 girls, 3 boys) to a different room, and searched the one we were in. They found nothing.

BUT, they decided to send us all home. For a "strong sense of smoke in the room". Turns out some guy did smoke in there earlier in the night, but that had nothing to do with sending me or my buddy home. We were not part of his smoking, but were innocent bystanders, am I right?

They tried to tell us that in the "Code of Conduct", it says that if you were just around when the smoking occurred, you were in trouble. But the thing is, we WERENT around. I had an argument with the head guy, but it resulted in us being sent home anyways. Everyone was pretty pissed because me and my buddy were being sent home for no reason, at all. It cost $900 to be in the program (trip included), and we get sent home the second day...

So, once we get back to our rooms, the 3 boys (me, my buddy, and the smoker) are all put in a room with an Advisor. I knocked the guy in the face as hard as I could because he didn't fess up, and got us in trouble. The advisor didnt care because the kid didn't do anything back. He was a year older then me, taller, but skinny as a twig.

The next morning, they sent us to an airport. Our first flight (at 1PM) was cancelled because of rain. We ended up on a 5PM flight, got home at 9PM. So, now my parents are pissed at the program, I am pissed at the smoker, and I lost $900. I paid half, my parents paid the other half. And that right there was my weekend (so far).

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

That sucks...kick up a fuss and demand a refund. Failing that, seeing as you're in America, surely you can sue for something?!! ;) :p

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that's not fair Macaztec. Still, suing does make the world go round! :p

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

First off, the reaction of the program organizers was extreme. Still, if they were trying to teach you about government, they succeeded. You learned that people more powerful than you can be terribly capricious and unfair.

As far as the smoking goes, something sounds fishy here. Are they trying to tell you that one kid smoking the previous day made the whole floor smell like smoke? Bull****.

It'd be interesting to call the hotel you were booked into and see if they put you in a smoking floor (or floors). Hotels do have entire sections dedicated to "smoking" rooms and "smoke-free" rooms. If you were all booked into the former, well, no wonder it smelled like smoke.

I go along with the advice of the others: demand your money back with the threat of a lawsuit. Get all the kids and their parents together and raise hell. You stand a much better chance if you all complain together.

5. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

it was too late to rat him out, no matter wat we were going home. i was so pissed i was going to break his face.

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

man, if i had passed the bar i would take you on pro bono

where are the easy cases when you need them

good luck

7. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Geez... What a jerk. Nice to hear you gave him a bit of a whack, sounds like he really deserved it. Not only did he (in all) waste $2700, he really ruined your weekend and made you look pretty bad in front of the program operators. Some people :(

8. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I think the program operators are the biggest jerks of all! Sorry to hear about this Mac Aztec. Raise hell--Don't just try to get a refund, get a formal apology letter and a discount on the next trip, if you're going again.