My experience in the NY Apple Store

Discussion in 'Community' started by Macmaniac, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Well I was visiting NYU last weekend so I felt like visiting the NYC Apple Store, hankering of course to see the new iMac. Well it was absolutely packed with people. There were 30 people in line downstairs buying stuff, and upstairs in the iPod section there was a long line to buy iPods and accessories. So I found the new iMac and I was blown away by it. It is a really good looking machine, and in my opinion has an awesome display.

Now here is where it got interesting, I was explaining some features to my Uncle, and I was pointing to some design features, and then a couple who was buying a new mac came up to me and asked me if I was on commission at the store(Probably due to the fact that I was giving a complete spec list, and I could point to where each part was) After telling them I did not work for the store( I was not wearing any kind of Apple clothing that would make me look like staff) I proceeded to explain to them the pros/cons of the new iMac as well as showing them how they could make the machine totally wireless. So meanwhile while the sales associates are off doing other things, a crowd of about twenty people gathers around me as I was describing the new iMac. By the time I left I had convinced them to buy a new mac, and in addition I bet I convinced a bunch of other people in that crowd as well.
    Heck I was selling macs better then the associates there who are paid to sell macs, and I was only a visitor ;)

On a side note I actually do work for an Apple Store, but its a small independently run store which does not have a showroom.

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I think there are quite a few of us who hang at our local Apple Store and answer questions when the sales associates are too busy. Sometimes I think that Apple is purposely understaffing the stores - they know there will always be Apple geeks like us to help them move product. It saves payroll, and also stresses to the consumer just how passionately you will come to love the Mac if you would only switch.

What other company commands this kind of allegiance? I can't think of another product I have ever talked a single person into buying, much less 20 or 30 people.

3. Macmaniac thread starter macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Well heck if I go to NYU I might be able to get a job at the NY Apple store. All I need to do is get the store manager to stand next to me for a few minutes while I convince some people to buy macs:)

4. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

I just bought my first Mac a few months back and you just convinced me to buy another one!! How did you do that? I want a powerbook!

5. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

good one !
    (although the iMac G5 might have boosted your popularity a tad ;) )

6. Macmaniac thread starter macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Yes, but informing the ignorant is important as well, if you don't know what features it has then why would you buy it:)

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    nice one :)

i notice in apple retail stores the staff dont mind you preaching, but in reseller stores they get all ornery