Last night I plugged my 16gb black iPhone 4S into the charger and went to sleep. I woke up an hour or two later to my phone vibrating a lot and lighting up, like it was being unplugged and plugged back into the charger multiple times per second. I picked it up and was almost burned by how hot the phone was. As I gained my senses after waking up, I could also smell electrical smoke. I quickly unplugged the charger from the surge protector, and looked at the phone. I turned on the lights and saw that there had been short circuit and almost a fire at the connection point between the charger cable and the phone. Some background about my phone: It is just over two months old (per-ordered and received on Oct 14), it has never been dropped, and it has never been wet. I've heard or batteries overheating and catching on fire, but rarely a connector fire. I took my phone into the Apple Store today, and got it replaced for free in about 10 minutes. The Genius Bar employee who helped me told me that Apple Stores see about one fire replacement per month, I did the math, and with about 358 Apple Stores (as of November, 2011), this means that over 4000 iPhones are catching on fire every year. This seems like a very high number, even with the millions out there. If over 4000 of a certain car model spontaneously erupted in flames every year, there would be massive recalls. Why not with the iPhone? Here are some pictures of my phone and the charger cable. Any thoughts?