My Extentions have killed me

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by indigoperfect, Jan 31, 2007.

1. indigoperfect macrumors newbie

I'll TRY to keep this brief. Shortly after my warranty ran out on my brand spankity new 2 GHz, 2 Gig of RAM iMac, my DVD drive stopped working. something, snapped, I believe. no biggy, I have an external. Then my speakers stopped working when i installed 10.4.8. I tried booting from the external DVD/CD drive with the install disk inside, but no such luck. I heard that my Extensions may be to blame, so I tried poking around in there.

Long story short, all of my extensions are dead and my computer gets the question mark folder, then a screen that informs me
    panic(cpu 0 caller 0x002e0ebc): unable to find driver for this platform, "powermac 12,1"

no debugger configured- dumbing debug information
    panic: we are hanging here...

how the heck do i fix this? I THINK i've tried all the "restart while holding C, restart while holding O and F and command" dealies, but I'm not sure. Is this fixable on my own, if someone tells me what to do? Should I just go to the Apple Store? (im a college student and really cant afford more than 200-300$ to fix this) And, if its terribly complicated, anyone want to just buy the @#%## thing and fix it themselves?! It does have a lot of RAM and memory....

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

You mean system/library/extensions ? Were you messing around in there? You probably need to reinstall OS X.

3. indigoperfect thread starter macrumors newbie

yes

yeah, those extensions. so if holding down C and clicking install Cd doesnt work, what else can i do?

4. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but if you mean 'Extensions' - they were last used in OS 9, which was last used (checks wikipedia) over 6 years ago.

Some people still use them when running some very old programs under a mode called 'Classic', and there's still quite a few web pages talking about 'disabling extensions' to fix problems with OS 9.

OS X has a completely different system, and if you've been mucking about in the OSX extensions folder, you could try undoing your mucking about, moving files back from the trash bin etc.

If that don't work, then a reinstall of OSX will be needed. You should have the install DVD with you somewhere.

If that doesn't work, then I'll buy your iMac off you for £300 :)

5. indigoperfect thread starter macrumors newbie

Humm

Give me two days and ill decide. Do you have an ebay account? or paypal? if you do itd be fairly easy to sell to you.

6. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Nah I was just joking. If you're in the USA, then shipping to the UK won't be worth it . I don't even know your iMac specs :)

7. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

You still have a perfectly functional [probably] upgraded machine. No needd to bail out just yet.. :eek: :D :apple:

When your install disc is inserted you can hold down the option key or the c key. Either should load the installer.

8. indigoperfect thread starter macrumors newbie

installer

after i click the arrow on the right, to run the installer, i get the kernal/debug/crappity crap screen that i described above:(

9. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Are we dealing with a PPC iMac, or the Intel flavour?

10. paintballer macrumors regular

I wouldn't take it to the Apple Store if you don't have a warranty. I took my $725 mini in the other day and they fixed it and on the reciept they gave me it said how much I would have to pay if I didn't have the warranty and it was almost $900.

11. indigoperfect thread starter macrumors newbie

the slightly older one/ bought it first week of january last year. so the power pc

12. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Nice advertising. Also wonder if Apple can put that against its corporate tax?

13. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Are you sure? The Intel Core Duo iMac was introduced 10th January 2006, so you might be wrong.

14. cblackburn macrumors regular

OK, First obvious point, are you trying to use install discs from an Intel machine to rebuild a PowerPC Macintosh?

Second, non obvious, point ... Can you take a digital photo of the screen when it panics I might be able to gleam some imformation from what it says. I had a similar problem with my Powerbook G4. From the Kernel panics I narrowed it down to a PCI card forcing a bus reset and the kernel was not happy about that. Turned out to be a loose Airport Extreme Card :)

Chris

15. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You're getting a kernal panic after booting from the DVD? You are definitely doing something wrong cause that can't happen.

Put the disk in the drive, restart the computer and hold the C down. It's not that hard, and you are freaking out for no reason really. Reinstall and you'll be ok.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Likely fragged the OS, the PowerMac 12,1 means it is looking for the ROM file description of the hardware needed to continue the boot process -- and cannot find it.

Basically, something messed up in the Boot Process, or the Bootstrap process of switching from the ROM boot sequence to the one stored on the drive.

If you screw the OS on the drive enough, you cannot even boot from something else -- because it immediately hangs when it sees the drive with the screwed OS.

All part of the funky Open Firmware booting process.

17. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

So what do you do that point? Would formatting the drive using another machine or installing a new drive solve the problem?

18. indigoperfect thread starter macrumors newbie

sun baked is right

holding C wont work, because it just gets the kernel errors and PANIC screen. and yes its a power pc, i bought it january 9th. the next morning i got the ad for TODAY APPLE LAUNCHED A TWO TIMES FASTER MAC!
    so i ran to the store and said
    ILL RETURN THIS!
    and they said
    nope, you already opened it. and theres a cookie stain on the keyboard.

anywho, the holding C allows me to see that my boot CD is in there...so mr/mrs sun Baked, anything i can do?!

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Fixing the drive using a PowerMac is easiest, a new drive in the machine and the bad one in a FW case to recover data (or fix the drive) the second easiest.

Until you can get to the point where you can manually select a new boot volume, the machine will keep trying to boot off the bad one.

>indigoperfect

Since you have a G5 iMac (isight) -- the easiest thing may be a new drive for the iMac and a FW case for the old drive.

Once the machine is booting from a new drive, you can fix the drive in the FW case rather easy.

But try one last time to reset the PRAM & NVRAM, followed by reset the SMU, then immediately try to boot from the DVD to archive and install the OS.

Reset SMU