My external Hard drive is read only now :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dvdiva, Apr 25, 2005.

1. macrumors member

Using 10.3.9. External drive is NTFS and works fine in XP also worked fine on 10.3.8. Now it just says its read only with no options in Disk Utility to change the permissions to a read and write. And yes I'm logged in as the admin account.
    How can I change the permissions back to read and write.

2. macrumors 68000

Can't you select the files on the external drive and Get Info (or Command-I) and change the preferences manually to Read and Write even if it's on an external drive?

3. macrumors 6502

OS X has never been able to write to a NTFS drive. All it can do it is read it.

4. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Technically, OS X (as of 10.3.5, I believe) has "limited" write capabilities to an NTFS volume. In my experience, "limited" means "virtually non-existant". Frankly I'm shocked that you could get it to work at all.

In order to get it to fully function between a Mac and a PC, the volume should be formatted as FAT32.

Please refer to this Apple KBase article for more information:

5. thread starter macrumors member

so if I format the drive with a mac is there a 3rd party app that can read it or is there any 3rd party app that can read and write to ntfs for macs?

6. thread starter macrumors member

7. Moderator emeritus

yellow

MacDrive on your PC will read/write to HFS+ volumes.

There's no software that will let your Mac write to NTFS. Maybe Tiger (10.4) but I've not seen any info on that yet.

8. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help yellow - great episode of venture boys also - love that ghost that loses it's head

9. macrumors 6502a

It can if you have the drive connected as a network share.

10. macrumors newbie

You can actually write to NTFS drives using Mac OS X and higher

If you would like to write to your NTFS drive using Mac OS X and higher, go here: http://www.hackszine.com/blog/archi...rite_to_ntfs_drives.html?CMP=OTC-7G2N43923558

Read the directions very carefully. When you get Fink, if you have something higher than OS 10.3.x, like OS 10.4.x, you will need the binary depending on what processor you have. Most likely you have Intel, so get that binary.

And obviously there is a lot more help from the fink site if you really want to fine tune your NTFS drive while connected to your Mac OS 10.x.x.

If that does not work for you, I have nothing more to suggest.

All the Best,
    --Alex

11. macrumors newbie

BTW - any suggestions on how to keep the macbook pro cool, besides using a usb fan under it? the fan makes too much noise and without it, my macbook pro gets really hot after running non-stop for just one hour.

reply to amazonsales@shekhtman.com (i prefer to give my business email because my personal one is already getting spammed)

thanks,
    --Alex

12. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Unfortunately, I would deem this a bit beyond the realm of most user's capabilities.

As for keeping the MBP cool...

Try a Chillow.

13. macrumors 6502

how long before macfuse becomes user friendly?