my external hard drive wont turn on

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Salteh, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Salteh macrumors member

i moved in with my gf last week and i decided to use my macbook for my main pc, with my dell 24" monitor keyboard mouse and external hard drive hooked upto it.
    i got my mini dvi cable to dvi cable id been waiting for and set everything up, but my external hard drive just doesnt do ANYTHING when i press the on button.
    its a western digital 250gb media centre (the one with card readers etc on it, so obviously i want it to work again)
    ive had it working on my mac before so i know its not a problem with my mac, ive even tried turning it on when its not connected to anything apart from power.
    im really worried now as my external hard drive is where i store alot of my usefull documents and ill be gutted if its stopped working.
    any way i can recover the files if it has? ive had it just over a year

2. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Probably the actual drive itself is okay, if there were no signs of it failing beforehand. So if you can get the drive out and put it in another enclosure, your problem is solved. I suspect there's a power issue. Can you check the adapter is ok?

3. Salteh thread starter macrumors member

theres a light on the little box halfway between the plug and the other end thats on green so i dunno what to do.
    anymore suggestions?

4. Salteh thread starter macrumors member

is there anyway to check that the drive itself is ok before i go out and buy myself an external usb enclosure for the drive?

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Put your ear to the transformer (the black box with the green light on it). My Iomega 250 GB wouldn't work, even though the transformer gave me a green light. I could hear a clicking if I put the transformer to my ear. It turns out a pin had bent on the connection and shorted it out so I just ordered a new one...

6. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Find a friend with a PC or power mac that will allow you to install another hard drive. Pop it in there and see if it is recognised.

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Hopefully you burned the contents of your drive to DVD's...for backups..