My eyes!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by iKwak, Dec 6, 2003.

1. iKwak macrumors member

I been playing with my new 12" iBook for hours ...more like days instead of my pc.

Lately, my left eye started to tweak. It is annoying and bothersome. Looks like ;) without the smile. :(

Is it because of the 12" screen and the resolution? Using 1024 setting.

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I have a 12" PB, and I find the screen fine. I think the source of your problems is you're spending way too much time in front of your computer. At least every hour, you should get up, walk around, do something else. Focus on something far away, like across the room. You shouldn't spend so much time without break in front of a screen. Also, have you been getting enough sleep lately? I find lack of sleep causes problems like that too.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Do you occasionally take some time to look away from the computer screen.

I agree with MoparShaha. It is eye strain.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

try taking a minute break every 15-30 minutes :) Stretch, relax, concentrate on something other than the LCD. For me, staring at my fish, playing with my Rubik's Cube or thoughtfully eating some candy while dreaming about my boyfriend helps.
    and then maybe a 5-10 minute break every 2 hours or something. I go and get something easy to eat like leftovers or pizza, practice the piano, sing a song...blahblah...
    If you seriously can't stop using the computer (like me), there's a whole bunch of apps that help you, just search on VersionTracker :D

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

After too much time at the screen, I tend to get funny eyes as well. I usually get blurry vision, which goes away after a few hours.

I do get twitches in my eye, but I've been told it's nerves.

U should take some breaks when working a lot at the computer though. Even if it's just for a few mins, it helps out. ;)

6. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Take a rest man!! You can buy an eye pillow to rest your eyes maybe you should get that.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Go to another doctor and they'll probably say too much leaded coffee, cola, tea, etc.

Caffeine does tend to make the nerves dance when you're tired, drained, stressed.

Usually will show up as a twitch.

Of course a lot of people would rather take a medication with a sexual side effect for a muscle twitch than give up the leaded coffee.

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Well, that's the thing. While I do enjoy my coffee, I don't drink that much of it. I tend to have a cup a day. Sometimes I do two or more, but not very often. I honestly think it was stress. I did some researching on it, and read that stress can cause the twitch.

9. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Even on a 17" crt my eyes sometimes become blurry after a couple hours at the computer. i try and take breaks atleast every 1hr or so.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

We may see more people with a caffeine twitch if the weight loss secret formulas are using various caffeine products now that ephedra/pseudoephedrine variations are being taken off the market.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A few days ago, I changed from an iBook to a Power Mac with a CRT. I find I have to take breaks much more frequently now, probably due to the flickerness (is that a word?) of the CRT. I can't see any flicker (85 Hz, the highest this old display can go) but I'm sure it's still there.

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Yesterday the muscle beneath my armpit was twitching....

I hate when my muscles twitch, its very bothersome.

And I doubt your new 12" is causing the twitching, it is probably something stressing you, or maybe your excitment about having the new computer.

scem0

13. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I find working with flat panel screens much less stressful than CRTs, and I really think size matters, I get much less tired with the 17" PBook I've got now than the 15"ti I used to have, plus the 23' Cinema dispays I like to use in the studio really don't give any problems at all, even at the end of 18-20 hour sessions.

Still, breaks are good, breaks mean tea and biscuits...:D

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

since we're talking about displays and eye fatigue...are my eyes abnormal or something? when i use my CRT even at like 100 hertz and above (refresh rate) i can still see a flicker.
    Which is why I tend to use LCDs more often

15. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Depending on the angle you look at a CRT, you can always see some flicker.

As to the original question, sometimes I get eye or muscle twitches when I stare at the computer for too long, which is why I frequently get up to stretch.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I have friends who use programs that remind them every so often to do some exercises. Eye and stretching ones. If you tend to spend long hours on the computer, I would suggest using one of them.

17. janey macrumors 603

janey

Woo so i guess i'm not the only one...but i use it to do my hw, i look at it at a straight angle, not from the side or the corner of my eyes and i can still see a flicker. Annoying.

18. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I personally cannot stand CRT because of the flicker. It's the same with fluorescent lights, too, the flickering gives me nasty headaches and eye fatigue.

19. King Cobra macrumors 603

Well I sit in front of my LCD for quite a bit of the day, college work or not... I don't have eye twitches, but I have some pretty bad neck pains. They have been getting worse for the past 6 months, and now the left side of my neck feels like it needs to be pulled a certain way. :(

20. cubist macrumors 68020

Another thing about CRTs that causes some eyestrain is that they're all a little fuzzy.

21. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I could never see the flicker in a CRT until I bought my LCD.

Now I can't stand CRTs. ;)

scem0

22. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I agree that LCD's are much easier on the eyes, but I find that with a refresh rate of at least 85 Hz, CRT's are very bareable. I run 85 Hz on my 21" at 1600*1200 and don't notice flicker, even out of the corner of my eyes. Some people are more sensitive though. I do agree with PowerBook G5 about flrouescent lights though. Most of the time they drive me mad.

On a side note, one thing I've noticed about the mass of "ignorant" computer users is that they don't know about refresh rates. I constantly run into computers running a 60 Hz refresh when they could be doing 85 Hz or 100 Hz. No wonder people get fatigued!

23. judith macrumors regular

judith

Aww, you're missing out on all that great electro-magnetism tho!
    - goes great with coffee!;)

24. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I may be crazy, but I swear, the CRT monitor on my old Gateway gave me acne. When I got my PowerBook, it cleared up within 2 weeks, but whenever I used the Gateway for an extended period of time, I'd get a minor case of acne again.

25. judith macrumors regular

judith

Is this the Gateway with (*cringe*) Win Me? Cause, you know they say stress can cause acne.;)