My face is killing me

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ifeelbloated, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2002
    some God forsaken place
    This may seem like a strange question but I bet most of you can relate. Can anyone recommend a good electric razor? I've been wet-shaving and it really kills my face. I mean my face just feels raw even though I use Edge gel. I've heard the Braun razors are good but aren't they expensive to maintain in regards to replacing cutters and foils? My face would appreciate any advice or I'll just walk around looking like a hobo.
  2. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Someone is going to say it, so it may as well be me.

Your face is killing us, too.

Now, Braun are indeed expensive. Love mine, though.. never really had a problem with the Norelco that I replaced with it, though.. nor do I mind single blade Bic razors and dry shaving.. so I am the wrong one to ask.
  3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA

Norelco. My dad has been using them for 10 years, only replaces the blades maybe once a year. Great shavers.

I use Gillette shavers with gel, but i only shave maybe once a week....
  4. Dignan macrumors 6502a

May 28, 2002
    Get the electric shaver with the goo that comes out! it works wonders.
  5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Yeah, Norelco works best. I have an older one in NJ and a new one here a few feet away from me. The Brawn shaver that used to be here managed to get one skin puncture for about every facial hair cut. W/Norelco, you don't have to worry about it.
  6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I've never had a problem with my Braun other than it has a worse time on my face that the twinhead Norelco I had years ago. Still, Braun and Remington have the foils which can break and hurt you.

Since nothing really works, I use a Gillette Mach 3 Turbo Plus Extra Grande whatever and only use the Braun later when it's not so critical.
  7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Hey, Shaggy, the man is asking for a way to attract women, not ticks. :D :rolleyes: :p
  8. Ifeelbloated thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2002
    some God forsaken place
    Hmmm, I shall look into that Norelco goo spewer. I just checked Amazon and it's 150 bucks!!! Cough, gag, cough, heave.:p Well, it should pay for itself over it's lifetime. Can you believe the price of a cartridge of Gillete blades? No money left over to buy cool Mac stuff, geez.
  9. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    there's a difference?:D :D :eek: :D :D
  10. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I guess not to you :p :rolleyes: :D
  11. Taft macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    Ah, the age old question...

With the grain? Against the grain? Blade or electric? The quesitons that have plagued my post-puberty life. Here's what I've found...

I've never gotten a close enough shave with an electric razor. I always have a stubbley feeling far sooner than with a razor. Because of this, I've abandoned electrics.

With a blade, I've found that going with against the grain cuts my face up quite a bit. Going with the grain doesn't get me as smooth, but its a lot more comfortable. But either way, I've got a few tips for any blade shavers out there.

1. Shave in the shower. Get in the shower and get comfortable. Wash your hair or something, THEN shave. Its important to be in the shower for a little while before you shave. You facial hair and skin will be very soft, making for the most comfortable shave you've ever had.

2. Get a small mirror or a shower mirror if you have to. This greatly aides in the shave-in-the-shower process.

3. Once you find your shaving "groove," stick with it. Always use the same shaving devices and shave in the same direction.

4. Use aftershave or my personal favorite, those Noxema acne pads. I've found that it prevents ingrown hairs and razor burn. If I shave with the grain, it is absolutely essential.

There. All of my shaving knowledge. Hope it helps all the young people out there. :)

12. resm macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2002
    I second that.
    I have never had a better shave than with Mach3 and also used Braun before.

By using blades with foam it also cleans your skin.

With shaving at least once a day (twice on weekends) my blades last up to 2 weeks so the relative high cost becomes spread out.

Taking a shower before shaving will help to open the pores of your skin and make the skin less sensitive to the scraping of the blades.
  13. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Re: Ah, the age old question...

This discussion has turned into a Teen magazine "How to" - It's hilarious.

I love it, though. It shows me how much of a family Mac users are. :D

I use a combination. When I let a beard go for a week or two, I will use the electric razor to shorten the hair, and then finish with a blade. BTW, I have had a BRAUN for over 3 years and had to change the cutting mechanism only once.

the most important seems to be the aftershave. I use Nivea after shave cream. It will actually condition your skin and soften the hair for the next shave.

Good luck, my pre-pubescent mac buddies! ;)
  14. big macrumors 65816

Feb 20, 2002
    being 26, I have shaved for many a year...and have decided your basic straight razor works best for me....10 mins in the morning, in a ZEN like state, its peaceful and tranquil
  15. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    Razor burn OUCH!!!

I use a Norelco because anything else hurts. Replace the blades once a year. Get the model with the slots and holes both on the head it cuts better.

The model with the goo might be good and it is not $150 like someone posted I have seen it locally for $60. This model does not have the new head I was recommending though, unless that's what he found for $150.

Good luck you can't go wrong with the Norelco.
  16. MidnightRambler macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2002
    the harsh alternative

Have you considered taking estrogen and a potent testosterone blocker?