My Finder Takes Rest of CPU!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Over Achiever, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I'm looking at the activity moniter, and Finder is consistently taking up over 80% of my CPU cycles. This has happened every since I did that batch of updates, restarting the computer does not help. I'm at a loss as to what's going on, and as to what I should do.

What info would you need to know?

-OA

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Step 1, log in as another user (create one if need be). Does it happen there as well? No? Then the problem is entirely with your user. Yes? Then we have a problem..

3. jane doe macrumors 6502

you can force quit the finder and see if it continues to eat up the processor when it restarts. As suggested, try another user and see if it still happens

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

This can happen when you have a file/folder on your desktop with a corrupt custom icon. Try making a new folder (name it anything) and move everything on your desktop (except your hard drive, of course) into that folder. Then restart the Finder. If it goes back to normal, you need to figure out which file it is causing the problem.

5. Over Achiever thread starter macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I've figured out the file ... it's not allowing me to delete it *shakes fist*

But that is precisely the problem ... once it was moved to the trash, my CPU dropped 50% (still high, but I can manage). Now why can't I delete this file? It says it's in use, but it's not. I have permission to delete but can't. It's annoying me.

6. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I have that problem sometimes. Usually when I do a secure empty trash it works.

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

open terminal
    type
    Code:
    sudo rm -R
    and drag the offending file onto the terminal window
    Press enter and then type your admin password.

EDIT: hey, crazzyeddie and I have the same powerbook.