My first animation!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by stoid, Dec 9, 2003.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

On the side (sans formal instruction) here as a computer science major at Northwest Missouri State University, I have created my first 3D masterpiece based on the new Apple 20 inch FP iMac.

The model lacks optical drive and ports, but otherwise is very cosmetically similar to the real thing. The model rendered in all it's glory can be seen here.

I made a simple animation using my model and added sound/music in FCP. This animation can be found highly compressed (anyone got some fast free web-space?? :) ) here.

Anyone out there (and I know that there are a few in the animation business) have any comments? I really enjoy doing this and I would love to go into it as a career, but I am broke, and therefore attending a state university :(.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I not a professional, but it looks nice to me. Thank you for sharing stoid. The ending was funny, thank you!
    :p

3. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

4. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

that is pretty damn good! looks very realistic.

-tazo

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Good start - what's the plans for this? And what are you animating it with?

D

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

maya? i'm impressed... looks at least as good as a lot of the majors i see around campus... keep up the good work

:D

7. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

hehe, that is funny. Maybe the screen lacks a bit of expression at the beginning when it looks left and right. I think it would look even better if the screen tilted just a little bit up/down or came a little bit forward...and animating the dock (rollover) would make a nice little facial expression (smirk), too.

Maybe a little camera shake when the iMac hits the ground to make it more dramatic/cartoony ?

Just a few ideas, looks pretty cool as it is.

If you love doing that kind of stuff, then follow your bliss !

8. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

9. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

not bad. What did you use? It looks like either XSI or 3DSMax to me....am I right?

here's the thing...knowing a computer app is only a fraction of what you need to learn to be an animator.

http://awn.com/

go there....read everything...

get Richard Williams' "The Animator's Survival Kit".

the animation looks to me like you set a key, set another key, and let the computer interpolate the inbetweens. You need to edit the inbetween curves to give it that finese that you're looking for.

Also, you'll want to move it with ARCS. ALways arcs.... some of your stuff with a little more arcing will look a lot more dynamic....you also are going to want a little bit of overlapping action with the monitor...after all the base is heavier, so it is impossible for the monitor to lead when it falls.....

Overall nice for a first animation....try learning to animate by drawing and using clay first though as the learning curve is easier and more instant...then you can translate those skills into the computer.

10. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

but that is the whole point of the joke, right ? That the screen has become heavier than the base...

I really like the straight fall, gets us by surprise at how heavy this thing must be, an excellent 'punchline' IMHO (again, would be even better with camera shake, or some cracks in the floor hehe). But I agree on the 'arcs' when the imac looks to either side ;)

Anyway, unlike what they tell you in movie previews, critics don't always agree :D

11. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Thanks for the support guys. I've always had an interest in computer animation, and about 5 years years ago I picked up Ray Dream 3D for my PowerMac 6320CD :D. After playing with it, I eventually picked up Ray Dream Studio 5 just before MetaCreations sold it to Eovia. Recently, I secured a copy *cough* of Carrara 2.0 by Eovia based on the Ray Dream Studio 5 source code. I am seriuosly considering buying Carrara 3 (student price is only $150).

The modeling was done in Carrara 2 with the boolean models done in Cinema 4D CE (got for free from MacAddict) because Carrara's boolean system is rather BLAH. The still render took 3 hours in Carrara 2 utilizing only one light source and it's indirect lighting feature. Yes, the animation was simple keyframing ;) and done in about 30 minutes in Carrara. I was going to render it with the indirect lighting, but it would have taken some 90+ hours, so I added two more subtle light sources to illuminate the shadows a bit, and rendered a regular raytraced animation in Carrara in 45 minutes. I'm thinking also of getting some Maya PLE action. :)

Thanks again for the comments!

12. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

oh, and I almost forgot: if you want to make an animation with the 15" model (much lighter, use arcs everywhere ;) ) then make sure to watch luxo Jr a few (more) times... :p

13. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

I made some of the changes as suggested, and I must say it looks one heckuvalot better. I made the early motions into arcs, and did a lot of work on the fall.

Thanks so much for hosting tazo, if you want to keep the old version around so that people could compare the two (or whatever. :D)

The link to the new version is the same as the old link: Copied Link.

Thanks again for your support and suggestions, and I will post further projects here in the future.

14. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

much better....

but your not done yet...necessarily.... timing is key.

I downloaded your movie....brought it into FCP, and mixed up the timing a bit. I think it makes the piece a lot more dynamic....now, you'd really want to make timing changes like these in your 3D app so you have a nice clean frame and nothing goes completely static..

Anyway, holds are very important...and then of course animation is all about change. So, if you have a hold and then you have something move really fast it has a stronger impact....

anyway, you can see what I mean here

there is no sound because the piece is longer now....

15. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I uploaded your new less-compressed? version to my server -- same address.

-tazo

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have to agree with teabgs on the "The Animator's Survival Kit" - its got so much good stuff it makes all the difference.

That's some long render times on a little animation - what are you using to do the rendering.

And what's next?

D

17. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Mr. A - I'm using Carrara Studio 2 to do the animation and rendering on my beautiful new 15inch 1.25Ghz Aluminum PowerBook (It's not a G5, but hey, I can sling it in a bag and take it to class!) There really are no plans for the future of this animation. I just spent quite a few hours modeling the beast and I wanted to see something a little more exciting happen to it that just still pictures. Although one friend asked when he saw it if the iMac would crawl around and have a little adventure or something. But no, this is just for fun (and a wonderful diversion when I should be studying for these finals this week :D ).

Tazo - I used MPEG-4 for the second video file (I think I used Sorenson 3 the first time) I am hosting via my universities web space which really ain't too bad other than the fact that I have like only 5MB of space, and most of that is currently occupied by a stupid web project that I had to do for my computer usage class. For additional hosting I was hoping that I could get the higher quality version up online (about 6MB).

teabgs - You added a longer pause inbetween the last axis turn back to the front and the fall I see, and I'm sure you changed something else somewhere else too, but I can't seem to find it. Mine might be a little bit too abrupt, but I was trying to portray the feeling that the iMac was sore from holding that monitor in the same position and was stretching. First it goes side to side, then it tries to stretch out forward but is caught off guard and suddenly off balanced and falls over. I'm loving this because now I'll bet that you can spiel out like 10 more suggestions on how to capture the intended effect. :D Thanks! I really appreciate the previous suggestions and I think the animation is only better because of them. And besides teabgs, we go waay back ;). Do you remember? I was the silly little high schooler interested in computer graphics with no idea what to do for college and you answered some questions I had then (over a year ago at least maybe 2 :eek:) I'm old. BAH, I'm going OT in my own friggin' thread!

My original intention was to have the iMac look around, launch iTunes and start playing and then dancing to the Macerena. But that would require a few more models be made, and I'm not certain that Carrara's animation package nor my patience is up to the challenge. :rolleyes: Okay, I'm going to shut-up now.

18. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Anything but the Macerena!

How about Hey Ya! by Outkast or Milk shake by Kellis?

:p :p

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Why would you need more models? The one you have is really all you need - getting it to sync correctly with the music might be the most difficult thing you'd have to do.

And when I asked what's next I was sort of thinking other than the iMac :D

D

20. Kid Red macrumors 65816

21. neut macrumors 68000

neut

nice rough.

glad to see you've come this far animating on your own...good job. keep it up.

patience, patience, patience.

try doing more out of the computer comps before modeling...draw, draw, draw.

oh yeah, and watch lots of pixar and Hayo Miyazaki animated films! good luck man.

peace.

22. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Stoid,

if you have the best version you want posted on the web, pm me or post here with the link and I'll upload it to the site -- same url as before :)

23. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

yes I remember and it was at least a year and a half ago...maybe more. I know I was still "using" my 6500 at the time...

here's what I changed...now that you've had time to wonder...

I added 6 frames onto a hold for when the screen is all the way left and still and all the way right. I added 8 for when it's in the middle. Then I made the first third of the fall set to 90% so that it would ease into the fall....and make the impact seem harder then it really is.

it's all about exagerating EVERYTHING. I can't spell the exagerate word and i've been up for 2 days...so, it stays.

if you go for real life movement it will look horrible, if you go for very exaggerated WOW, I got it...anyway.. it looks "real".

24. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

ahh, yes, now that I look more closely I do see the changes

it seems that the best methods is to focus on both subtlety and exaggeration, just like you would in drama

if you over act a part, you just might be acting it enough, but not at the expense of being accurate to the part

also a nifty-as-cheesy method of spelling in Mac OS X: if it gives you the lil red dots, and you don't feel like going back and trying to figure out the spelling, control click the offending word and it will show suggested spellings, and option to 'learn' the 'new' word :eek:!

oh, and before I forget

Mr. (Thomas?) Anderson (a.k.a. Neo?) - I have never had time in high school to do any 3D work I am fulfilling wants I have had. One of those was to make a ultra-realistic model of some kind. Now that I have kinda done that, one other thing I always wanted to do was to make some character (likely not human, or not even humanoid necessarily). That, and I've always wanted to combine a 3D model/animation into a digital picture/video. I don't know which I'll pursue next. We'll see what inspires me. I'll probably spend a lot more time in practice before I produce another product I feel worthy of posting online. Once I get stuff going, I'll be using my (rather limited) school web-space to host images of my product. Keep an eye out on my avatar/signature/home-page designation if interested in my future progress.

25. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

do humanoid,......seriously. it's much easier.....it seems harder, but dont try and deal with 4 or more legs before you're ready. It gets messy....the first 4 legged walk cycle I ever did took me 40 hours.....and it wasnt even right...it was close, but not right. and it's much easier on paper then computer...seriously. Try learning to animate off the computer and you'll find it easier to do on the computer.

People who are only CG animators are generally not as good as those who practice different techniques. Mostly I think it's because they think the computer will animate for them....but this is a whole other topic for a whole other thread...