My First Apple Experience

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by efoto, Feb 11, 2005.

1. efoto macrumors 68030

Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    I ordered one of the new 12"PBooks online quite some time ago. After a long time waiting it finally showed up and all was swell, or so I thought. After closer inspection I realized that there was a paint chip above the screen release latch. After calling Apple and having them do near nothing (they said I could return it and then re-order a new one, did not even offer upgraded shipping or any other consilation prizes :p) I was getting quite frustrated.

Although Apple Stores (retail locations) are not required to deal with web-order related issues, I decided I would call to try my luck anyway, what was there to loose? I called the Novi - Twelve Oaks location near Detroit, MI USA. They told me that they would be happy to help me out and that even though it was a web-order they were more than happy to work things out. They understood that this is a big purchase and that is should be as near perfect as possible. They told me that they would have done the same and that a paintchip is more than grounds for an exchange.

Anyway, wonderful people working at the Novi Apple Store. If any of you read this thank you very much for all the aid and willingness. You saved my first Apple experience from being troubled to splendid.

Thanks again, just wanted to post an update and praise a store that did great work.

BTW - First post from my new 12" PBook. Everything is wonderful, zippy fast, and soooo beautiful :D
  2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
  3. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Nice story and glad to hear that it had a happy ending! Welcome to world of Mac's - it's not a cult, honest! :p
  4. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    Yes to me it seem's as if the wintel side just complain about everything, but the mac side has a nice community for people and people are happy to help others :D
  5. sbb155 macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2005
    I know I will get flamed for this, but a dell laptop can be BTO and returned no questions asked for any reason with no restocking fee. Apple should take up such a policy, as it would aid in the anxiety of buying a BTO computer. Let's face it, we would all love to have that kind of service with apple! The good news is that apple laptops are rotuinely ranked highly by consumer reports, etc.
  6. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2003
    that town east of ann arbor
    i'm suprised that there are more mac users popping up in michigan. looks like your enjoying your powerbook. always remember that your mac gives you more freedom to customize, personalize, and get your work done. so look around the forums for advice, or recommendations.
  7. Bangpow macrumors member

Feb 9, 2005
    Dearborn, MI
    That's very good to hear. I just ordered my first ever Mac yesterday, a 15" PowerBook, and the Twelve Oaks store is the one I usually stop by, usually to check things out.

I ordered my PB from the internet, though, and it's cool to know that if i have a problem i can take it to the Novi store.

btw, when i placed the order yesterday the estimated ship date was 2/18, but when i checked my e-mail this morning, it shipped out yesterday! :D
  8. efoto thread starter macrumors 68030

Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    I am enjoying my PowerBook very much. I have been using it almost non-stop now for the last couple of days with very good results. There are still questions and a lot of learning to be done, but I am overall very happy with my purchase and very excited to continue learning things with OSX.

In retrospect I purchased this partly for the style, partly because it wasn't Windows, and partly for the wanting to learn something new. I have been happy with all of the reasons so far.
  9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I've had similar experiances with Apple retailers here in Bergen (nearest Apple Store is in London, UK, but - hey - we got a couple of dedicated Apple retailers, that's almost as good :p). They have always been more than happy to help with any problems I've had with my Macs (not many, though, but a couple of minor ones).

I think most staff in any shops dealing Apple products (as their main product) are as helpful as possible. We're a tight little community, and most people really are all right... :)
  10. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    OT: Just noticed your profile says you are from "that town east of ann arbor". You live in Ypsi? Sweet, used to live there myself for several years while in college.

The Novi store is rather nice, it is the closest one to me. I went to check out the Mac mini there. I wish they had some mini's with more memory on display. They are a bit sluggish with the stock 256 MB. You think they'd put 1 GB in them so that they demo nicely. I suppose many would consider that false advertising since that is not part of the default system specs.

I ended up ordering a Mac mini BTO online. The specs are in my signature. I can't wait for it to get here - supposed to ship March 3rd.