My first car accident...

Discussion in 'Community' started by masterapple04, Sep 13, 2005.

1. masterapple04 macrumors regular

Well, the title about says it all. Today on my to school I put the front end of my car into the driver's door of another car. At first I was really upset and worried, but now I realize that I'm okay, and the 91-year old man driving the other car is fine and not worried about it (and he even complimented my dress shirt and tie).

My hands are still a bit shaky thinking about it.

My insurance guy said that I can appeal the surcharge for my policy, and I have a good chance of winning it. So, it wasn't nearly as bad as I could have been.

(By the way, I think my karma is off or something. I turned on the TV after school, and the question on Family Fued was about the worst thing to happen while driving. Survey says, "Car accident!" Then whilst driving to my insurance agency, I saw a tractor trailer with 3 cars on it that were crumpled, and I realized how lucky I am. Life... :rolleyes: )

2. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

How fast were you going? I ask this because usually a collision with the driver door will injure the driver. I guess you were lucky. :)

3. masterapple04 thread starter macrumors regular

Only 10-15mph. I was making a left turn. I couldn't see the oncoming traffic because of more traffic. The intersection is almost impossible to describe.

4. mpw Guest

How long have you been driving?

I had my first crash ~8hrs after passing my test, before I'd actually picked up my license and before I'd paid for my insurance. Should've seen the brokers face when I walked in to say "Hi, I called earlier to arrange cover and I'm here to pay my £750 premium.......Oh and here's a quote for the £2,500 damage I did on the way here. Thanks!"

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Cool, I hope my first accident is as boring as yours.

6. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Mine was stoopid and completely my own fault. As a 17 year old I was unleashed with a powerful 205 Gti Dimma 1.9 Turbo technics. Yeah long name I know, just google pics. I spent all my savings on this sucker. Rosso red seats, Rosso red interior, even Rosso red fluffy dice.

I decided one summer to have NOS and was showing off down a straight road doing something like 90 MPH on a 30 zone. I totally forgot the road curved towards the end sharply. Anyway turning the car I clipped the curb, managed to flip over several times, took out a bus stop and several other cars. My pride and joy was ruined, totally crushed. My friend was out cold, prolly with the G force. And was for me, not a mark.

So anyway I bought a helicopter instead (remote controlled one).

7. masterapple04 thread starter macrumors regular

mpw, I've had my license since last Novermber, so slightly better than you, but not much.

Abstract, It's not boring, believe me. Like I said, I'm still shaky. Again, it's the best that could have happened in something that scuks as much as this - no one hurt. Total damge to myself and the other driver - about $1000-1500. :(

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That sucks. I'm glad it turned out relatively well and everyone's fine. :)

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That is so scary... I'm glad everyone involved is okay though. I've had a license for about 5 years now w/out a ticket or accident. *knocks on wood* But just the thought of an accident makes my hands twitch.

10. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Please tell me that there wasnt anything Apple inside your car? iPod? iBook/PowerBook? If so... are they ok?????

ps- ohhh... and is the man you hit ok too? ;)

edit: Rev. A. 12" PowerBook

11. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Whenever I drive with my mom, and my PB is in there to, I tell her "I have no reason to crash... My PowerBook is in the car!"

It makes her so nervous!! :):)

12. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

My mum hit a politician son's car, the idiot thought it was my mums fault even though he gave no indication of a right turn and had slowed down considerably to make the turn :rolleyes:

My mum went to complain to the insurance company for the politician son to pay, guess what he didn't pay. In the end my mum brought him to court and won :D

It was a pretty big accident costing around $4000. It damaged the whole front section of the car.

13. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

lol... I cant wait till I can drive... turn 16 in my freshman year of HS!!! :D (in 8th right now)

14. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

My first accident was pretty sad (this was like 20 years ago). My parents bought me a new car, shortly after owning this I got hit by a lady going 40mph and swerved into my lane when she was putting on lipstick.

15. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

My first accident was in the parking lot of the Community College that I was attending. I was going about 5mph. My fault to.

I was almost hit by a truck that was on the road at night w/o it's headlights on.

One of my dad's friends vehicle stalled/got stuck on train tracks in Florida and was almost killed by a train a while ago. After that the friend totally gave up driving. The incident scared the living s**t out of him.

16. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Yeah I've been in 4 serious car accidents (another 2 or so bumper thumpers) and I could never forget that feeling (although its also hard to imagine it as well). After the first accident where I was T-boned while I was in the passenger seat (fractured arm) I couldn't stop shaking. Totally normal. Plenty of other accidents but none with more serious injuries. Then there was the bike vs. car accident and the skiing accident (almost very serious, dangerous sport) but thats another story.

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I can certainly understand that you are still shaking. Just a normal reaction to an accident. The good thing is that no one was seriously hurt and minor damage. Nice that the other guy was kind. Just try to take some slow deep breaths in and out, should help you to relax.

Yes, it is difficult to describe an intersection in Massachusetts. They are all crazy.

18. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Man, that's scary. I've never been in a car accident as a driver *knock on wood,* but I did get into a pretty bad one when I was 17. My friend was driving and rear-ended a truck at about 40MPH, scariest thing ever. I only got a sore shoulder (from the seatbeat) and no one else was hurt so I guess we were very lucky, but now I give cars a lot of room in front of me.

I hope the shock wears off, it's terrible that had to happen.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have ADD and people with ADD are at a (much) higher risk of being in a serious accident. Actually, the risk of dying in a car accident is much higher, but I guess that counts as a serious accident.

Anyway, I've been close to rear-ending people on many occasions (maybe a dozen or so times) over the past 7 years of driving (I'm 25), but nothing bad has happened yet, thank goodness. I just hit the brakes hard. Pretty scary.

I do work hard on paying attention while driving, though. Lets just hope that I continue to try being a good driver.

20. masterapple04 thread starter macrumors regular

iPod and PowerBook were safe at home on their respective chargers. Only electronic gadget I had was my satellite radio, which just sat there and kept playing. Glad to know I'm not the only one that feels like such crap after that... :cool:

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

About 2 years ago, I was heading towards a roundabout. The sun was quite low and it was hard to see, and I was going a bit faster than I should've been. The car in front slowed down, but I didn't notice until the last second. I slammed on the brakes (iBook flew off the front seat and onto the floor), and I hit the car in front. I was absolutely terrified.

Fortunately, my last-second braking was good enough - no damage to either car :)

22. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

glad you are ok- and that the person you hit is ok too!

i hit a police car last week in DC, he ran a red light and i didn't see him... what a mess that was... spun him around and everything.

23. Zaid macrumors 6502

Was involved in my first accident too recently

I was driving home with my cousin (he was driving). We were driving when a car came round a blind corner very fast. My cousin swerved to avoid her but she hit the car (side impact) so hard that the car spun round completely twice.

We both came out of it ok without any cuts or bruises, for which we should be thankful. Still quite a harrowing experience though. Couple of £000 worth of damage as she completely recked both doors on the passenger side. And she was uninsured to boot.

24. noaccess macrumors 6502

Last year I was involved in a pretty bad car accident. The driver was a bit drunk after partying for a few hrs. and was going 65mph on a small road (btw I was sitting in the front passenger seat). It was about midnight and the car was going too fast to drive through a 90 degree curve which the driver couldn't see, so the car literally flew off the road, rolled over, and landed 40 feet below on its wheels. Everyone except me lost consciousness. And I was the only one with the seatbelt fastened. The car was crumpled afterwards, the windshield broken, and I was covered in the driver's blood. After about 5 mins. some people saw the car and called 911 and everyone ended up in hospital.
    The woman who was driving was nearly disfigured (the top of the car bent over her head), the passengers in the back had vertebral fractures and strangely I got away with a liver contusion which healed completely after 4 weeks.
    It was awful, not to mention traumatising. The good thing is that each of us got paid by the insurance company, but we could have lost our lives (the car landed 20 feet near a huge electric pole :eek: ).

25. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I was in three car accidents the first year I had my driver's license. They were all my fault, too. :D

I was in a major car accident when I was about 9 or so. Car was completely totaled in a 2-car accident on the I-5 highway in Washington State. Luckily, no deaths, but I was thrown from the car and was unconscious. I woke up an hour later in some mom & pop store. I guess my injuries weren't serious enough for them to take me to the hospital. :p

Well that's my story. Not very entertaining, I know.