My First CD

Discussion in 'Community' started by sethypoo, Nov 19, 2003.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Back in the day I was a CD purchasing king. I could waltz over to my local Wal*Mart (I know, I know) and buy the latest and greatest pop, emo, rock, rap, funk, soul or blues album for under $14. Talk about good times. I purchased CD's at the rate of 5-6 per month, which was a lot for a high school student making only .50 cents over minimum wage.

Then, times changed. Suddenly, there was this new thing: "Kazaa". No one knew how to pronounce it; "kuh-zAH" or "kAZ-AH", but we all knew this: it meant free music.

CD prices were skyrocketing: $18 for an album?? Are you kidding? That was two and a half long hours of labor for the average high schooler. Immediately, Kazaa seemed like a really, really cool thing.

New album you want? Just double-click on that handy little icon and BAM, you have millions of songs at your disposal, all totally free, all instantly available. The funny thing was, none of us stopped to think of the consequences. We were, in fact, stealing another’s creation; all our beloved artists were seeing CD sales drop, and were thus forced to raise prices to make up for their losses.

Of course we filesharers, being total genius’s of economics, couldn’t fathom why this could happen, so the file sharing continued. Eventually, some group of mean old people known as the RIAA waved their canes and walkers in the air and yelled “STOP!”, and more or less, it did. More than a few music-swappers started to think, “I love my music, I don’t want to rip off artists, but CD’s are just too expensive…what to do?”

Thankfully, new forms of music purchasing and downloading appeared; there is the great and (almost too) powerful iTunes Music Store, put out by Apple Computer, Napster, MusicMatch, and so on. Out of the blue, artists had a way to make a few cents per song downloaded.

But what happened to the CD? The album? The record, the recording, the EP, the LP, all those wonderful physical things we could lust after, counting down until the release date, someday wishing to hold them in our hands? We were suddenly listening to music existing only in ether- we had no shiny CD’s or vinyl’s to hold, and no album artwork to read and ponder over.

I, too, was taken by this download craze, but a part of me missed the CD; I missed the frustration of not having a CD player in my car, or a portable one with me while riding home from the store after purchasing a new album; I missed the aggravation at having to rip open those tamper proof CD wrappers; but most of all, I missed the reality of the CD. It was there: I could see it, hold it, and put it in a player and play it.

Today, I purchased my first CD in six months. For those of you who are curious, it was the new Blink-182 album…but that’s not what’s important: it’s about getting back to where things –music- started: the album.

-By me, Sethypoo, aka, Seth D.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've yet to download the music of anyone I don't know personally. I'm also not willing to pay for mediocre quality, although some early CDs were as bad as the cassette tape. If Apple or others were willing to bump up the bits, I would be more inclined to buy downloadable versions.

I have many open reel tapes, vinyl, and a few CDs. I still like having liner notes.

I wish that I could go to a vending machine, pick the songs I want, give it a CD or use one of theirs, and have it record the CD and print the liner notes.

3. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Though I jumped on the MP3 trading bandwagon (actually, I should say I was at the head of the line) quite a few years ago, I always bought the CDs for artists that I loved. I never understood ripping off my favorite artists. It'd be like stealing my Mac from an Apple Store. Even now, though I buy quite a bit from iTMS, I still buy hardcopy CDs for albums that are important to me.

I actually went to the store a few times in the last month and had more CDs that I wanted to buy than I could afford. That hadn't happened in _years_. It's nice to see things are turning around.

Dan

edit: I agree that the bitrate _must_ increase to add value to iTMS. I know tons of people who won't buy for that reason. I reserve iTMS for old music and whimsical one track purchases to avoid it, but full albums that are recorded with modern gear _deserve_ better encoding.

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I prefer the physical CD, too, but I just don't l like having to buy a $20 CD because of only two songs that I really want because I personally don't like listening to the same artist/kind of music for an hour straight.

5. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Short attention span. Any way CD's Sound BETTER. If you buy a Cd because of a few songs that are released as singles then chances are that you will hear other songs that will never be played on the radio.

My MP3 list is about 200 songs(most of which are ripped off friends CD's,) 200 also is about the number of CD's I own.

Top 5 CD's in no order
    'The Record' by the Bee Gee's
    'One more car, One more Rider" by Eric Clapton (Live)
    'History' by Micheal Jackson
    'Delicate Sounds of Thunder' Pink Floyd (Live)
    'Morning Glory' by Oasis

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

It's not so much a short attention span as it is that most music by artists these days seem to either release a lot of "filler" on their CDs to reach a full album when all they really have is one or two hits or they just sound so similar in many of their songs. I usually listen to my classical CDs from track to track, though, since I can easily stand the whole CD without thinking to myself that 90% of it is just to make it seem like a full CD. When I make CDs of 20 some songs of various artists, I can sit through it just fine, as well.

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

cd's sound good. vinyl sounds BETTER. trust me. and the liner notes are mosre interesting. definitely worth it to buy a nice turntable and a stereo and REALLY listen to music. i suggest the last waltz, by the band. and then toys in the attic, by aerosmith.

8. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Nice thoughts.

bousozoku, why did you delete my second post? It was innocent, and got the point across in one word.

Powerbook G5- good point!

Vinyl might not exactly sound "better" than CD's but they do have that old school feel to them.

I just think that less and less people are buying CD's: this is where artists make most of their money (aside from touring).

I do wish Apple would increase the bit rate of their downloads, even though I can't really tell a difference. CD quality and then some if you ask me. If they do increase the bit rate to 160 or something, AAC's will be just as big as MP3's, and Apple won't be able to say you get MP3 quality in less space.

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I can't say I've ever listened to a vinyl before, so I won't know the difference. The only thing about using iTunes that puts me off is that I am not a big fan of using credit cards and when I do browse the music store, I hardly ever find a reasonable selection that I'd want to download. I may find a couple here and there, but it just doesn't seem like it's enough to warrant it, so until I see more variety, I'll just stick to having friends burn CDs for me.

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

bous' didn't delete it, I did.

Bumping your thread is spam, especially after only 40 minutes.

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

;) i guess its the whole listening experience. listening to vinyl feels more 'real' to me. you have something to hold on to, read, look at. i dunno...

12. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    yeah i was downloading album's on my 28.8 modem way back before anyone heard about such a thing. Hotline rocked back in the day, but I have a CD collection that keeps growing as well. I've never really used downloading album's as a replacement to buying CD's but rather as a test bed for new stuff. There's no way I'm about to just buy a CD without hearing it first.

BTW: ITMS kicks serious hiney...

I've bought quite a few things that I've downloaded over the years just because I don't want to whole album... just one track. Plus I actually bought a full album last week (the new Sarah McLauchlan, very good IMHO).

Do I still get stuff and listen to it before I rush out and buy it? Of course I do, just went to Best Buy and picked up the new Limp Bizkit and the new Dave Matthews. The problem with the whole thing is when people use it soley for stealing purposes, that's when the money is lost and they raise the CD prices.

ok... I'm rambling...

13. leet1 macrumors 6502

Same! lol I've only owned like 6 or 7 CDs. Thousands of MP3s though :p

14. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

:rolleyes: Sorry.:rolleyes:

Next time I'll just edit the orginal post.

40 minutes is a long time here rower_cpu.

15. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Vinyl is great, I love it. Too bad I don't have a record player here. I especially like how the old vinyl albums have huge liner notes, that was always neat. With CD labels these days, you have to have a microscope to read what's on them. :D

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, you know, ummm, I didn't, but I would have, if I had the power. :D

I'm amazed at how many people put innocent one line or one word posts into places where they think no one will notice just to get a new rank and work toward that shiny avatar. :D

Try reading the liner notes to Japanese CDs. If you think the English text is small... :eek:

17. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

I never downloaded anything and I haven't bought anything from iTMS for the same reason - I really LIKE having a tangible, physical CD - nothing quite like that "new CD" smell!

On a minor sidetrack, those who would like the bitrate of AAC increased in iTMS, what would you like to see it increased to? I'm asking because when I ripped my CD collection to iTunes, I encoded as 192kbps, so my library of just over 2600 songs weighs in at a seemingly hefty 15GB. Based on what I'd read in these forums, I figured if the default was 128kbps, 192kbps should be substantially higher. But what, in fact, is the difference between 128kbps and 192kbs, and should I have used an even higher bitrate?

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I ripped my non-classical CDs to 256Kbps mp3 format. In the car, with the dynamic expansion on, they sound fine. Without the expansion, they sound flat.

If I were buying, 192Kbps AAC would be fine for non-classical music.

19. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

No fair.

I am not that type, look at my post history.

BTW, get a life and don't accuse on what you don't know!

You think Japanese is small? Well.....you're right.

20. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Seth,

I am gonna clue you in on something. you should really keep your mouth shut. Its pretty easy to get banned around here if you harass other people, such as Bous or Rower. They are both fine citizens and excellent macrumors members and neither deserve the abusive barrage of text that you have so written.

Leave em alone, or just leave.

-tazo

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I didn't accuse you. You accused me. :p

"Mom, Seth is making trouble again." :D

22. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

:D Ok, that time you made me laugh.:)

Still, you accused me fiirrrrst! Waaaaah!

Ok, ok, bousozoku, tazo, and Rower, I am sorry. I just really didn't appreciate bous saying that I put that one word post there to just up my post count: I didn't! I thought people were reading my first post as like a opinion ed thing and deciding not to reply to it, whereas I meant it to just get people talking.

Tazo, I don't need to be "clued in" to anything. In all fairness, what you wrote sounds like elitist theory to me.

So, officially, I am sorry, to bous, Rower, and tazo (even though you're not involved).

Let's get back to discussing music!:D