My first day with my iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by realmcenter, Jul 14, 2005.

1. realmcenter macrumors member

Earlier today I came home from errands to find my iBook sitting there, a day early. Needless to say it didn't take me long to get it out of the box. I am still impressed with just how small this thing is overall, it is just the right size for me and the weight is nice, too. After using it for a while I found the battery life quite impressive despite using WiFi and the optical drive a bit. The keyboard could have a bit more travel and I still keep hitting wrong keys but I am getting used to it. The trackpad is a bit annoying, but I'm not a fan of trackpads in general and would much prefer a trackball but of course they aren't going to reappear in laptops any day soon.

MacOS X is quite a change for me versus the old System 7. Some things were familiar but at times I just found it better to forget what I remember from System 7 and just relearn how to do it in OS X. Setup of wireless networking, a shared printer, and shared folder went very smoothly. I was happy to find that Opera 8 for OS X works almost the same as the Windows version so that brought something familiar to here. I wouldn't have minded Safari except its idea of maximize seemed to be to stretch to 2/3 the width of the screen and it didn't have a popup blocker, and I just preferred Opera anyway. Adium works a lot like Gaim so that was easy enough to get used to.

Overall I'm liking this thing quite a lot so far. I don't know if it will replace my desktop PC but it sure compliments it well. It is doing what I hoped it would do very well and I'm glad I decided to go with it over a similarly-priced Windows laptop since I would have had to give up size, battery life, and/or usability if I had.

2. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

Safari DOES have a pop-up blocker, works great, only thing that passes by it are the "pop-unders".

3. panda macrumors regular

a must have

congratulations on getting the ibook.

it has been my main computer for 5years. i'm on the white now, which is 3 or 4 yrs old.

a great workhorse and so portable as you say.

a must have to get even more from is is....

AIRPORT EXPRESS. this makes it a trus gem, as you can really work anywehre in the home, wirelessly. can't recommend it enough.

enjoy! :)

4. realmcenter thread starter macrumors member

I bought a wireless router that arrived the day before my iBook did since I wanted to be able to take advantage of the built-in Airport Extreme card for an Internet connection and networking with my desktop. I'm in the process of importing my emails into Apple Mail since I'd rather this thing take over email duties and it pretty much has taken over for web browsing. I guess my desktop will start being moved to more specialized tasks like hifi music listening, DVD-burning, graphics work, gaming, and other stuff like that. It's easier to use just one machine for day-to-day tasks and this might as well be it.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Glad to hear that you are liking it - they are great laptops.
    Now you just need to swap that desktop PeeCee for a Power Mac G5. ;)

6. realmcenter thread starter macrumors member

I could barely afford this iBook so a G5 PowerMac isn't even on the radar screen ;) I wanted a 12" iBook for 2 1/2 years and was happy I finally got one. The desktop will probably stay with me for a while, it still has its uses. The 160GB hard drive in it may get moved into an external enclosure so I can use it with my Mac and a part or two from it might get sold, but otherwise I plan on keeping it.

I think I have unintentionally ended up being a switcher. This thing was suppossed to be an auxillary to my desktop, not the computer I use most now. It's just as well, though. The first computer system I really learned how to use was a Mac (a Centris 610 w/ 24MB of RAM, CD-ROM, 160MB hard drive, and System 7.5, IIRC) and I never stopped having a fondness for them.

7. dav macrumors 6502

Awesome to hear! I had to save quite some time for my iBook as well... Guess I take better care of it now. (My friends who just went and picked one up like it was nothing don't respect it quite the same!)

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Glad to hear realmcenter! Macs (specially your cool iBook G4) can be irresistible - just looking at one makes me want to plop down and use it.